Seeking Advice on Homemade Mayonnaise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcmr

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I recently tried making mayonnaise at home, and while it tasted good, the consistency wasn't quite right. It turned out a bit runny, and

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to achieve that perfect creamy texture. I followed a basic recipe with eggs, oil, and mustard,

but I'm open to suggestions for variations or different methods. How do you make your homemade mayonnaise?

Any secret ingredients or specific techniques you swear by?

I'd love to hear your experiences and learn from your expertise.

Did you add vinegar ? I've always whisked the egg yolk and mustard then gradually add oil until it starts to thicken, then add vinegar and continue whisking until its firm then season to taste (salt/pepper) you can add a little warm water if its too thick.
Can also use olive oil to make it aioli.

Did you add vinegar ? I've always whisked the egg yolk and mustard then gradually add oil until it starts to thicken, then add vinegar and continue whisking until its firm then season to taste point b menu(salt/pepper) you can add a little warm water if its too thick.
Can also use olive oil to make it aioli.
thank you for your suggestion

Never tried Xanthan gum but what a great idea, some quick research shows they do use it in salad dressings. I use the stick blender approach, works very well. Place the egg and all the oil in a narrow container that the stick blender just fits in. Start the blender with it fully submerged, squashing the egg. Slowly raise the blender, slow at first but can increase after about 50%. Keep blending until all oil is incorporated. Add everything else after this process, salt, vinegar, lemon juice etc. Usually I use lemon juice and need the liquid to make it smooth and less "jelly" like.
Regards

Latest posts

Back