Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I don't have a mill so does anyone know a good online brew supply shop that has a good crush for the grainfather. Preferably QLD (for quick delivery)
I'd give "Country Brewer" a go. They do sell online (comes out of Sydney) but their stores have a great range of malts on hand. they can mill into one bag as a recipe or each grain into it's own bag.

20180624_141743(1).jpg
20180624_141811(1).jpg
Damaged the nylon washer for the conical fermenter where the hoses from the glycol chiller plugs in. It is currently leaking. I removed the washers. Does anyone know what size these washers are and do I need food grade or could I just drop down to the local hardware store to get new ones.

Last edited:
Any idea if Grainfather will bring out a 50l or 65l version ?
As of the most of us, I have a kegging system and a corny keg holds 19l... so one brew with the grainfather gives me only one keg and a few extra litres.

My solution for this is that I use a large grain bill, around 8-9kg and I do a single mash 23l and sparge with 14-16l in the grainfather and sparge another 12l into a pot and boil it on the stove.

I end up with around 36l worth, ABV around 5.5%

Robobrew has a setup with 65l which sounds perfect for me, that's 3 corny kegs. For only $800 or Braumeister 50l for $3500. I believe there is space for a Grainfather 65l between the Kia and the Mercedes version.

Cheers
Stefan

Any idea if Grainfather will bring out a 50l or 65l version ?
As of the most of us, I have a kegging system and a corny keg holds 19l... so one brew with the grainfather gives me only one keg and a few extra litres.

My solution for this is that I use a large grain bill, around 8-9kg and I do a single mash 23l and sparge with 14-16l in the grainfather and sparge another 12l into a pot and boil it on the stove.

I end up with around 36l worth, ABV around 5.5%

Robobrew has a setup with 65l which sounds perfect for me, that's 3 corny kegs. For only $800 or Braumeister 50l for $3500. I believe there is space for a Grainfather 65l between the Kia and the Mercedes version.

Cheers
Stefan

Love it! Completely agree too.

Hi, great thread. I've read snippets and will have to browse through this whole thread when I have time.

A thing that has helped me, not really a problem but cleaning is much faster if you clean the CF chiller at the same time, attach the end of the recirc hose onto the end of the CF chiller (it pushes on tight), then you can clean and rinse both at the same time, saves doing them separately.

I did my first brew with the Grainfather Connect recently. It went really well with no major catastrophes.

A tip I have not seen before. I was able to share the display from a phone onto my TV . I had an Android phone plugged into a charger and cast it to a Chromecast plugged in to a TV.

This made it very easy for me to keep track of what was happening with the Grainfather Connect while I moved around the house during brew day. You might find this useful.

Here is a photo on the cleaning day.

IMG_20180811_103934.jpg

Hi all, upgraded to a grainfather a while back and have to say I am struggling have had nothing but issues with the pump and filter every time I brew anything with any hops they block up and I cannot chill or transfer. Last brew was an IPA that I had to syphon into my fermenter at 70 degrees as I simply could not get any flow. Is it possible that I am missing something or doing something wrong?

Hi all, upgraded to a grainfather a while back and have to say I am struggling have had nothing but issues with the pump and filter every time I brew anything with any hops they block up and I cannot chill or transfer. Last brew was an IPA that I had to syphon into my fermenter at 70 degrees as I simply could not get any flow. Is it possible that I am missing something or doing something wrong?
See post 198 and wait and see how markp or any of the other Grainfather users went with it.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/lauter-helix.95579/page-10

I had been using the BS app and put in my own numbers for my GF profile.

I haven't brewed in a long time, but noticed today that BS 3 has a grainfather profile. Has anyone used this ? Thoughts?

Hi Bonenose
I just had this happen for the first time in 33 brews since I bought my GF. I brewed a Goose Island IPA so plenty of hops although I have brewed with more hops without having an issue.
This time I decided to whirlpool for the first time and unknowingly knocked off the filter. The counter flow chiller clogged almost instantaneously although I didn’t know that was the problem at the time. I ended up using a syphon as well. Took forever to get to pitching temp.
I’ve never had a problem, despite the amount of hops, provided the filter stays on.
I notice from one of David Heath’s brewing videos that he uses a hose clamp on his GF filter. I don’t really want to go this way as it’s so convenient for cleaning as it is. I’ll just be more careful stirring the wort and will probably forget about the whirlpool in future.

I'd give "Country Brewer" a go. They do sell online (comes out of Sydney) but their stores have a great range of malts on hand. they can mill into one bag as a recipe or each grain into it's own bag.
Country Trading Store ( on EBay) or National Home Brew - I use them both and they are great!

Last edited:
I use a hop spider and a little stainless steel tea strainer on the overflow, never had a drama. Occasionally I have tried to brew without them and yes the filter blocks but I have a stainless stirrer so I carefully scrape the top of the filter with that.
But like I said - use the other two and no dramas

Have done my last two brews with an immersion chiller which eliminates the problem completely. Pump of course worked like a champion for both of them. Now starting to wonder if I have a blockage in my CFC.

Grainfather counterflow wort chiller

my bore water temp here in Perth is around 22 degree.. I like to use an esky full of ice water to get to my pitching temp.

But im not sure what kind of pump i need ? Any suggestions?

thanks
Cheers
Stefan

I did my first brew with the Grainfather Connect recently. It went really well with no major catastrophes.

A tip I have not seen before. I was able to share the display from a phone onto my TV . I had an Android phone plugged into a charger and cast it to a Chromecast plugged in to a TV.

This made it very easy for me to keep track of what was happening with the Grainfather Connect while I moved around the house during brew day. You might find this useful.

Here is a photo on the cleaning day.

View attachment 113209

Awesome idea there!

Grainfather counterflow wort chiller

my bore water temp here in Perth is around 22 degree.. I like to use an esky full of ice water to get to my pitching temp.

But im not sure what kind of pump i need ? Any suggestions?

thanks
Cheers
Stefan

I use a magnetic drive pump bought from Kegking I think from memory. My esky has a 3/4 drain so used a reducer and it screws straight in. Works great have also used it screwed into a fermenter which I think is 1/2”.

Hey guys, I don't have a mill so does anyone know a good online brew supply shop that has a good crush for the grainfather. Preferably QLD (for quick delivery)

Hi Mzungu, give Hoppy Days a go. Great products, knowledge and service. Can all be done online and either picked up or delivered. Also the home of the 2018 AABC IPA champion so may also be able to assist you with a recipe in mind.

https://hoppydaysbrewingsupplies.com.au/

Last edited:
how are you guys brewing double batches, a single 23l batch is not enough for me :)

cheers
stefan

Hi Stefen, i'm in the same boat. I have been doing double brew days but that's a long 5-6hr day. What I am thinking is after my first sparge, transferring that wort in to an additional 25-30L boiler to boil while I start a new mash on the GF. Looking at the MJ/Turbo500 boiler, my only issue is no filter on the boiler which will be an issue for anything with a decent hop profile. I'll be cubing so cooling wont be an issue for me.

Anyone else have any ideas in mind they wouldn't mind sharing?

Back