Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys and merry Christmas, it just got the new connect unit and just wanted to ask if there is a way to offset the temperature reading.

According to my thermopen its a few degrees Celsius off.

In which direction? If it is reading a bit under, make sure that the probe is inserted all the way in the thermowell. It will go in a fair bit and then offer resistance. It's not fully inserted at this point, you need to put your hand against the other side of the GF and push a bit harder. The probe will then click in another 1-2mm and then it is inserted properly. A bit of keg lube on the plastic moulding on the probe may make this easier.

When the probe is not properly inserted it will have an offset and also more lag. On my initial cleaning run, I also thought that the controller was reading wrong, but a fiddle with the probe got it to +/-1C, which is the precision of the display anyway.

If that is not a solution for you, then, no I don't know of any way of getting a setup/configuration menu that would allow you to calibrate the temperature. If you do find it, please let us know.

A question for those familiar with the operation of the connect control box. Is there a way of skipping through steps in your brew session? Last weekend I brewed the Easy Drop IPA grainkid recipe and halfway through I accidently turned off the switch to the grainfather, thus re-setting the whole session. I wasn't sure how to skip through to the stage I was at so in the end I just went about the remainder of the brew day manually.

I would think you would have to edit that program and set the time to 0 for each step you had already achieved prior to bumping the switch HM. Then start again where you left off, should only take a minute or two.

nfragol said:
Hi guys and merry Christmas, it just got the new connect unit and just wanted to ask if there is a way to offset the temperature reading.
According to my thermopen its a few degrees Celsius off.
I suspect that even with a very efficient recirculation there is a temperature differential of 1-2C from top to bottom in the mash tun. Don't know how you get around this except to think an insulating coat may help a little. So what is your mash temp? Is it that measured at the probe, in the recirculated liquor overlying the top plate, or is it the (unmeasurable) temp. deep within the middle of the mash? They are probably all different. I think you just need to know this discrepancy exists, assume its consistent over time, and compensate for it if you feel you need to.

The last few brews I have done the top perforated plate seems to sink down a fair bit.
When I first put it in I sit it just on top of the grain bed.
Any suggestions?

doctr-dan said:
The last few brews I have done the top perforated plate seems to sink down a fair bit.
When I first put it in I sit it just on top of the grain bed.
Any suggestions?
How can it sink any further than the top of the grain bed?

BKBrews said:
How can it sink any further than the top of the grain bed?
It doesn't.

What's happening is his grain bed is settling/compacting, so that the top of the grain bed ends up lower than when it started. And the plate can slip because the grain bed is lower.

It's not really something to worry about. Just push it gently down to the top of the grain bed when you start the sparge.

kaiserben said:
It doesn't.

What's happening is his grain bed is settling/compacting, so that the top of the grain bed ends up lower than when it started. And the plate can slip because the grain bed is lower.

It's not really something to worry about. Just push it gently down to the top of the grain bed when you start the sparge.
agree. I think the only purpose of the top plate is to spread the wort/sparge water evenly over the grain bed and stop it being disturbed too much. I don't worry when it falls down.

I don't think so. Sometimes when it falls down it might seem like the wort is less clear because you can't see the top plate as clearly, but I think that's just because there is more wort above it (twice the distance between top plate and surface = half the clarity).

Just got this email from Grainfather:

Grainfather Connect Android App Issues

Important message from our Managing Director -

I want to sincerely apologise for the ongoing issues that some users are experiencing with our Android app.

The complexity, requirements and value we wish to deliver to our customers via our app, was not able to be fulfilled by our current Android version contractor. This has been both frustrating for ourselves and our customers.

As such, we have decided to engage another development team to start from scratch and deliver the best possible product. Unfortunately, this will take at least 3 months but we believe that we need to do this to maintain the high quality and integrity of the Grainfather family of products.

The current app is still available via the Playstore, which will allow you to perform basic brew steps. Unfortunately, issues are being experienced in other areas such as recipe importing, battery usage, Bluetooth coverage, and app crashing when starting a session from an imported recipe.

*Note – This does affect the Grainfather Connect Control Box. All Grainfather functionality is still controllable via the physical unit itself. The iOS version of the app is also not affected.

Once again, our sincere apologies for any frustration the current app has caused and we thank you for your patience while the development takes place.

Regards, Peter Eastwood
Managing Director

>Unfortunately, this will take at least 3 months

meaning they didn't hire another android development team... they hired another android 'developer'...

Thanks for posting. Even though I have registered my details with Grainfather and have been in touch with their tech support a number of times, I have not received this message. Maybe they only sent it to customers that purchased directly from the Grainfather online store?

peteru said:
Thanks for posting. Even though I have registered my details with Grainfather and have been in touch with their tech support a number of times, I have not received this message. Maybe they only sent it to customers that purchased directly from the Grainfather online store?
Jump on the GF web site and register your email address on there again, not sure why it would have been removed - or perhaps check the spam folder.

Checked my Spam/Junk folder - nothing there.

Went back to grainfather.com, logged in and checked that the email address on record is correct. I also have the Newsletter subscription box checked - there is only one option "General Subscription"

Logged out and then tried to subscribe in the section labelled "Join the Grainfather Club, Sign up for our Newsletter !", but that resulted in an error message: "There was a problem with the subscription: This email address is already assigned to another user."

So, it looks like my email address is definitely in the database, but I have not received any newsletters - ever. I have received email messages from Grainfather tech support people. I also checked the email server logs, to see if it rejected any messages that may have been coming from blacklisted servers. Again, all clear on that front, no rejections.

My conclusion is that perhaps it's not only the Android app that is having issues. It looks like mailouts to customers are not working as intended either.

Happy to help you/iMake troubleshoot the issue. Send me a PM if you need specific details or more help getting to the bottom of this.

Well my first two brews in the grainfather done the last 2 days.

First brew done was a Country trading store "saturday smasher"
Mash went well except I had a little bit of grain and some was going down overflow , will remember to throttle valve back if this happens again in the future , have a sink strainer coming for this also. Sparge all good about 15 to 20 minutes in total , temp was about 95 when I finished so not far off boil. Boil stage and this is where I noticed a hell of alot of grain floating around in the boil , starting to think bottom plate was not down correctly. I used a hop sock and was only 30g in total. Chiller stage went well and when I went to pump into fermenter in noticed a hell of alot of trub , basically threw the hole first 2 litres away. Rest went in had one hell of a cold break, I was worried I had knocked of pump filter but all was ok but was not expecting the huge amount of trub . OG was 1.50 with a target of 1.47 and checked ph with about 10 min to go in mash (is this an ok time to take it?) and that was 5.38 so within guidelines. Taste test and was very sweet so be interesting to see how it turns out . was looking at 19 litres in total and threw out 2 litres roughly and ended up with just shy of 16 lites so about 1 and a bit litres short of desired levels

Second Brew was Country trading store " Mango Pale Ale"
Mash way better than first one had bugger all grain and didnt have to throttle valve back and had a nice clear wort by end of mash. Sparge same time as last and was at 95 again by the time I had finished . Boil all good used hop sock again as alot more hops than last one . Seemed to be alot of hop matter floating around in boil so decided to use a strainer when pumping to fermenter , this gave a fair amount of trub in strainer, but one bonus was aerated wort beautifully and temp was at about 20 so pitched yeast straight away. A fair amont of trub but nothing like first brew even though it had more hops. Og was 1.056 target was 1.055 so nice and close and ph during mash was 5.29 . Taste of wort was quite bitter and I am worried with more dry hoping to come this will be vey bitter but dry hopping should only add to aroma ? , I am hoping the mango in fermenter will counter act this as IBU is only meant to be 35. Was left with about 17 litres so 2 short this time

Now for some questions I done a hop stand with the zero minute additions for 20 minutes , I am worried this is were the extra bitterness has come from due to the 60 minute additions been left in wort longer. There was no mention of hop standing in the instructions ao was I basically supposed to start chilling and pump to fermenter once 0 minute additions were added ?

If in future I add more water say a litre to try first in sparge will this weaken my wort and mean I miss my OG target , was hoping to get closer to 19 lites so I could fill up kegs but obviously dont want a weaker brew Dumb newbie question I know .

Should I not worry about the trub in the wort as it most likely will drop out when I cold crash , But I am a hater of floaties in beer so really not sure what to do here in future.

All in all was impressed with the whole grainfather process but thought my finished wort would have been clearer and once trub falls out my levels will be well short when kegging . Have 2 beautiful Krausens going when I woke up today so fermenting looking good so far Next brew will be an actual grainfather kit so will be interested to see if I come up short with finished wort levels with this one

All in all an enjoyable couple of days with my new toy

Latest posts

Back