Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to simplify the correct chilling process as outlined in that video linked above:

1. Recirc hot wort through your Chiller and back into the GF for 10 minutes (this is only to sanitise your chiller. In my experience temp remains above 95C).
2. Connect and start cold water tap to chiller, and keep recircing wort through chiller and back into GF for 5 minutes.
3. Same as Step 2 but instead of running wort back into the GF run it out into a FV.

(IMO I'm not even sure step 2 is required. Unless I'm doing hop stands I'll usually do Step 1 recirc to santise, then connect cold water and pump direct to FV. Too easy!).

that is good to know, I had been spending a lot of time and wasting a lot of water recircing back into the grainfather. thankyou all.

actually, what about generating a decent cold break and leaving it behind in the kettle?

It's all dependant on what temp your tap water is. It's all good to do any of the above steps when you have cold tap water, but this summer when the tap water comes out at 32-34 degrees C, you won't get anywhere near pitching temp without use of a pre-chiller. All that's needed is a shortish 3-4m copper coil and a six pack esky with ice, water and some salt to really drop the temp, That gets placed inline in the cooling water circuit after a 5-10 minute sanitising run, then about 10 minutes of recirculation back to the GF unit. From there, the pre-chiller is placed inline, dropped in icy cold water/slurry etc and the wort is pumped across to the fermenter. Some of the guys use recirculating water and a pump to save a fair bit.

VanGekkum said:
Android app doesn't work properly. Every time I try tot start a new session I get the message that the app stopped, so I can't continue. I'm on Android 5. Anyone experienced the same problemen or ha a solution.
Thanks
Apparently, there's been an update on play store. Installed new version and this one works like a charm.
Problem solved, thanks!

Coodgee said:
that is good to know, I had been spending a lot of time and wasting a lot of water recircing back into the grainfather. thankyou all.

actually, what about generating a decent cold break and leaving it behind in the kettle?
Don't fear the cold break, apparently the yeasties love feasting on it. Just make sure you cold crash low and long after fermentation is complete, you won't have any issues.

I am strongly considering purchasing one of these systems and am looking over it at the LHBS next Tues. It is marketed as an all in one system but am interested in others views as to whether there any vital or strongly recommended items of kit I should be looking at also to get the best out of it? I'm only looking to do single batches so capacity should be fine although I do like to brew the occasional strong beer to around 8%.

Killer Brew said:
I am strongly considering purchasing one of these systems and am looking over it at the LHBS next Tues. It is marketed as an all in one system but am interested in others views as to whether there any vital or strongly recommended items of kit I should be looking at also to get the best out of it? I'm only looking to do single batches so capacity should be fine although I do like to brew the occasional strong beer to around 8%.
If you intend to sparge then an urn to sit alongside it (GF sell one specifically which is pretty well priced, but any urn capable of ~20l will do). The stainless steel mash paddle is a nice addition to, as the width is perfect for the narrower space you have given the recirc pipe in the middle of the kettle.

Killer Brew said:
You'll have no issues with beers in that range and a bit higher.

Killer Brew said:
Hop spider or hop sock

With the new filter I have used 400g of pellet hops and still have good flow to the fermenter.
I have also noticed better hop flavours without the spider.

With the replacement top plate and seal and the new filter I am much happier with my grainfather than when I first got it.

Killer Brew said:
hopspider (although you should note above posts on upgraded system where it is perhaps not needed).
paddle - gf has a homegrown one - remember that there is a retriculation pipe up the centre of your gf, so a generic mash paddle needs to have a narrow width blade or you won't be able to use it effectively. if you buy a generic (as i did), be prepared to shave the sides off it to narrow the blade width so it works efficiently in the mash.
i use my old 19L woolies pot for sparge water heating - i have to guesstimate the sparge volume, but it's a cheap recycling of old technology.
aside from that - don't just look at it. buy the bloody thing. it's not a braumeister ferrari but it does churn out ping accurate great beers. and they get better as you learn to use it. the only other thing i'd suggest is a beersmith software or similar. i found that really helpful even at the start for things like accurate hops calculations.
would i buy one now that i've got one?? yep. simple. absolutely.

It definitely took me a few brews to get into a real rhythm with the Grainfather, and I'm sure that's true for any new system. But now I have things going like a well oiled machine, I'm milling while my strike water comes up to temp, measuring out hop additions and heating sparge water during the mash, cleaning the malt pipe after the boil starts, hooking up the chiller straight after the 10m hop addition...everything seems to have fallen into place nicely, making brew days so much more efficient and enjoyable.

carniebrew said:
It definitely took me a few brews to get into a real rhythm with the Grainfather, and I'm sure that's true for any new system. But now I have things going like a well oiled machine, I'm milling while my strike water comes up to temp, measuring out hop additions and heating sparge water during the mash, cleaning the malt pipe after the boil starts, hooking up the chiller straight after the 10m hop addition...everything seems to have fallen into place nicely, making brew days so much more efficient and enjoyable.
sounds like a disco i went to once in the 80s. took me a few beers to get into the rhythm with some grainmother. but now i'm a well oiled machine, milling about while my strike water comes up. i can almost hear john travolting. :p

my apologies, carnie, but it just said 'jump up and bite me' :D

hey guys I'm looking at turning one of those Keg King robobrew setups into a grainfather. just wondering if one of you guys could give me the outside diameter of the bottom part of the overflow pipe?
they sell the top part on there website so I was going to grab that but just want to make sure it fits right.

Thanks

I'm on my 9th Grainfather brew and they're getting better all the time. I've got the process down to a fine art and the last one took a lot less time than the first. I only have one concern and that is the clarity of my beer. After it's finished fermenting I cold crash for 1 week and then bottle but even though I use 1/2 a Whirfloc tablet I still get chill haze. I have read about Brewbrite and would be interested for some feedback from anybody using it.

nads said:
I'm on my 9th Grainfather brew and they're getting better all the time. I've got the process down to a fine art and the last one took a lot less time than the first. I only have one concern and that is the clarity of my beer. After it's finished fermenting I cold crash for 1 week and then bottle but even though I use 1/2 a Whirfloc tablet I still get chill haze. I have read about Brewbrite and would be interested for some feedback from anybody using it.
I used to use brewbrite but stopped about 6 brews ago when I started using gelatin in the keg. Since then the beer clears up nicely without finings in the boil at all I recon

Had a great brew on the grainfather... made a big mistake, though. I picked up the unit when I was cleaning and had about 20L of water in it, instead of using tyhe pump to drain it I picked it up. Dropped it because the insert for the basket popped out and that was what I was using to grip, I wish this thing had handles.

Anyway, broke the base of my unit, the plastic shroud. It came right off and I've called grainfather to get a replacement. The unit is fine, but I was pretty pissed off at myself as it's only 4 brews old, and I love it.

Thanks for the advice all. Picked up my new Grainfather today. Hanging out to do my first brew but looks like it will need to wait about a week.

you have to wait a week?? :blink:
can't you - i dunno - get rid of the wife or leave your job or at least get a doctor's certificate so you have to stay at home or something?? :beer:

Latest posts

Back