Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coldspace said:
I double batch always with Grainfather , same time but get 2 cubes.
I start with 23 ltrs, at strike temp then leave on mash low heat setting while stirring in,then slowly mash in my 8.5 to 9 kgs max of grains, slow and steady stir and stab with paddle up and down like mixing up concrete.
Usually once I've stirred in about 7 kgs of grain, I swing the top pipe over the top of the grain bed, start pump, and pump approx 2 -3 ltrs of water ontop.
This then makes it much easier to mash the final 2 kgs in.
I usually then mash for 75 mins and do 20 min mash out at 78. This helps with sparging.
Then, I just keep sparging till I see it dripped upto the 30 ltr mark.
I then place the malt pipe into an old esky and sparge it with another 6 ltrs of water and just let the last goodness run out into esky while I boil. You can take top plate of, give the grain a stir and sparge with final water, I find I get the last sugars totally out. Then Usually about 7 to 8 ltrs trickles out into esky which works out perfect for top ups and keeps efficiency up. Sit the malt pipe ontop of a Tupperware container etc to keep it off the floor of esky or bucket to catch second sparge runnings.
I then use this final runnings to top up the boil while doing my additions,
Just top up slowly so the boil is not killed, or I have an immersion heater from my previous brewing days which is use to ramp up the temps in between strike and boils to save time.
When my boil is done, I top right to top , about 10mm from lip with runnings or boiled water .
I then wait for the temp to drop to about 90-92 degrees, then pump straight into 2 x 15 ltr cubes that I saved from fresh wort kits, or you can buy 15 ltr containers.
The full double batch Grainfather fills 2 of these perfectly to the top.
Seal, and leave, I also add my hop additions I would normally use at sub 15 mark into little hop socks straight into the cubes.
What I have now is an over gravity for style 15 ltr cube, actually more like 16 lts.
When time to ferment, I dump into fermenter and top up to 21 ltrs.
I usually get OG of 1.046 to 1.048 which is plenty for me, and I get 2 x 19 ltr kegs from one cook up.
Last sat, while doing yard work etc, I got 2 double batches , so 4 cubes of a nice pilsener and pale ale , and allowing for my immersion heater to save time and everything took about 7 hrs.start to cleaned and packed up. Also managed to mow yard and take kids to shops in between mash times to keep SWMBO happy. Lol
Espescially using no chill, saves heaps of water and about 30 mins per Cook up. It's a no brainer.
Unless doing a high grav brew, double batch all the way.
I've done about 25-30 double batches now, and works a treat.
Hope this helps.
Tried this method yesterday with the Rogers clone so not a large grain bill 6.5kg.
40 litres of water 23 strike 17 sparge
hit all my numbers and it does work a treat.

Observations

When adding water at the top as mash gets thicker take tubing off to make it easier
Can be fiddly topping up boil with running shoes so as not to kill boil but still better than brewing 2 seperate batches
I hopped at 175% of single batch quantities
Watch the hot break
Have a boiled kettle on stand by to top up to 30 if not enough runnings
Looking fwd to trying with a larger grain bill say a DSGA

meathead said:
Tried this method yesterday with the Rogers clone so not a large grain bill 6.5kg.
hit all my numbers and it does work a treat.
Observations
When adding water at the top as mash gets thicker take tubing off to make it easier
Can be fiddly topping up boil with running shoes so as not to kill boil but still better than brewing 2 seperate batches
Watch the hot break
Have a boiled kettle on stand by to top up to 30 if not enough runnings
Looking fwd to trying with a larger grain bill say a DSGA
Good to see you giving it ago" I never single batch now not enough time. When you get up over 7 kgs you will lose like 5 to 10% efficiency but as I only brew the doubles to 21 ltrs to fill 19 lts kegs I still get a full strength beer.

Who cares about getting perfect efficiency for the time saved. A few grav points under for double batch . Only way to go unless not time poor.

I'm going to get a grain bro or 40ltr urn soon, so I can punch out 6 to 8 , 15 ltr cubes on a full sat brew day.

meathead said:

Coldspace, roughly what amount of water do you use for your 8.5-9kg batches? Same as Meathead here?
I can see you started with 23L Mash water, but then your total sparge water is a bit vague.

meathead said:
Can you just explain exactly why you've reduced it?

I'll design a double batch recipe in BeerSmith. That program allows me to build in kettle and fermenter top ups, so can I assume it'll get my hop utilisations right and I don't need to worry?

I did a bit of research on the interwebs re hop qty, I believe it's to do with utilisation. Beer smith will probably do it for you
Re water I went 30l + 1l per kg of grain + 3.5l boil off. Could have done with 2 more litres for dead space

I start with 23 ltrs, I then sparge out till the kettle is up around 29 to 30 ltrs, approx 16 to 17 trs .
I then lift the basket into an esky to let the last juice drain off, and sparge with another 5 to 6 ltrs or so .

The info was buried in my original post but I will try and make more sense I hope,

I use this to keep the kettle topped right up during boil to the 30 ltr mark. At end of boil i throw in another 2 ltrs of boiling water. This keeps the grain father up around 32 ltrs. Approx 10 mm from top.

I then pump this into 2 x 15 ltr cubes I have from FWK. Usually around 16 ltrs fits in. That's why I want 32 ltrs at end of boil.

These 16 ltrs then go into a fermenter each and topped upto 21 ltrs.

This gives me 2 x 19 ltr kegs at around 4.8% to 5.2 % beer.

Just be mindful , 9 kg is absolute max, but most of my pale ale receipes and lagers I've designed are around 4.25 kgs , so 8.5 kgs is a lot better.

Definitely after about 6 kgs has been mashed in run the pump onto top with about 3 to 4 ltrs and then mash in last few kgs. Makes it heaps easier.

Mash for standard time, but do a 25 min mash out at 78 to make sure the liquid has had time to slowly go through the thick grain bed. Makes sparge easier.

Start sparge straight away, receipes with wheat tend to sparge a lot slower.

I find the sparge to the 30 ltr mark is usually around the same time the grain father has nearly reached boil.

Go about 20 % less on bittering additions because of no chill.

Be mindful the grain weight basket is heavy on initial lift when sodden, so if not strong have someone help of keep grain father milk crate height to make lift easier.
Don't want to slip and plunge it down into the water and splash 80 degree liquid out.

Takes about 30 mins longer than single batch because of the extended mash out and slower sparge, but you get 2 brews out of it.
And because I no- chill , I save 30 mins and heap of water, plus I think my no chill batches seem better anyway because I cube hop my pale ales.

I am presses for time a lot because of work / family commitments and because I've got too many family/mates wanting to drink my beers I run out a lot despite 3 fermenting fridges lol.
So I'm gunna get a grain bro, so in 4 to 5 hrs I'll get 4 cubes/kegs. That way I will only need to brew once a month .

Easy as, done about 50 kegs like this now. With receipes. Only way to roll.

Cheers

Funny enough I was planning to do a double batch with grainfather next weekend. A big thanks for all the info posted by all. It definitely will help with my upcomming brew

My Grainfather arrives tomorrow, looking forward to getting my first all grain brew under my belt.

I've got the black jack stout kit coming with it but I'm thinking it would be wise to brew a beer that I've brewed with extract before so I can see the differences, thinking of a smurtos golden ale as my first one.

alimac23 said:
My Grainfather arrives tomorrow, looking forward to getting my first all grain brew under my belt.
I've got the black jack stout kit coming with it but I'm thinking it would be wise to brew a beer that I've brewed with extract before so I can see the differences, thinking of a smurtos golden ale as my first one.
Good idea
Because there's wheat in DSGA make sure u start sparge asap as otherwise it can take quite a while
Hop socks are handy
Stir in hot break at start of boil
Good luck

It kinda depends what side of the fence you sit....if you're using kettle finings such as whirlfloc/irish moss, then most of your hot and cold break will settle to the bottom of the kettle after flameout/chilling. Lots of people prefer to leave that break material behind when racking to their fermenter. But plenty more just tip every last little bit into the fermenter and let it drop out during fermentation.

I reckon with the Grainfather's filter located where it is, it's much easier to leave it behind....you have to tip the GF in order to get it out, so I rarely bother.

Thanks guys, the Grainfather arrived today, I've run it through a clean to get rid of any manufacturing oils / residuals that were left and I'm very impressed so far, I never realised how quiet the whole thing is, the pump especially!

Hopefully I can get to the store and get the grain milled for a smurtos otherwise I'll brew the stout that come with it, I've just noticed that the deltafloc tablet is missing from my mangrove jacks kit, will it make a massive difference if I don't use it or would it be advisable to go and get some?

View attachment 88199

carniebrew said:
It kinda depends what side of the fence you sit....if you're using kettle finings such as whirlfloc/irish moss, then most of your hot and cold break will settle to the bottom of the kettle after flameout/chilling. Lots of people prefer to leave that break material behind when racking to their fermenter. But plenty more just tip every last little bit into the fermenter and let it drop out during fermentation.

I reckon with the Grainfather's filter located where it is, it's much easier to leave it behind....you have to tip the GF in order to get it out, so I rarely bother.
Good call Carnie. No tip for chilling or no chill

alimac23 said:
Thanks guys, the Grainfather arrived today, I've run it through a clean to get rid of any manufacturing oils / residuals that were left and I'm very impressed so far, I never realised how quiet the whole thing is, the pump especially!

Hopefully I can get to the store and get the grain milled for a smurtos otherwise I'll brew the stout that come with it, I've just noticed that the deltafloc tablet is missing from my mangrove jacks kit, will it make a massive difference if I don't use it or would it be advisable to go and get some?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461152757.898711.jpg
It won't make a massive difference, i've forgotten to add the floc tablet a few times before....clarity won't be as good, but if it's a stout that won't matter much.

I just completed my first double batch with grainfather. I was after 1.045 @ 42 litres and ended up with with 1.046 @ 43 litres. I pretty much followed Coldspace's instructions to a tee, but rather than keep topping up the grainfather with the extra sparge, I put it in a pot on the stove and boiled it for 5-10 mins the chilled in sink and added to the fermenter.
Super happy with the results.
Cheers.

Nice video, hats off to people who take the time to do these.

I do things abit diff, like the addition of gloves :) , maybe the health and safety requirements of his country :)
Or us Aussies are just hard bastards.

I was thinking of a grain bro to up production, but will not get one as they don't come with a malt pipe, and with double batches now for most beers hardly worth the extra 600 cost. Doesn't save much more time except 1 hr or so.
Prob better to mash the double, tip straight into a 40 ltr urn, and sparge finish ,do boil, then mash straight away into the grain father 2 nd batch. Same sort of **** around, to up production.

I think if we could get the second malt pipe then the Grain bro would be the go, but apparently ( according to my Homebrew shop) they won't even sell you the second baskets. Pity mr grain father, if this is true then poor form. Rant lol.

Done 2 double batches today while drinking and playing two up with mates,

Lest we forget!!!!!!!

I did my second double batch today (yay long weekend)
some notes:
pre boil (in grainfather) 30l @ 1.063
8l runnings put in a 10l pot @ 1.017 (again, pre boil)
I ended up with 34l @ 1.060 (combined post boil of grainfather and pot runnings)
I added cold water to fermenter to reach 42l @ 1.047 OG.

All in all, very pleased with my double batch attempts.
Cheers, and thanks to all who paved the way.

Hello all

Did my first grainfather batch last Saturday...was first all grain too. Now it's done I wish I'd started earlier.

Hit all my targets, ran smoothly, took forever as I was being over cautious with everything, but that should get better with each brew.

Only thing is got a few scorch marks on the element. I gave it a light scrape with the paddle a few times during the brew as I'd read you should, but still got a few.

Scrubbed for close to an hour with hot water and the gf cleaning solution, got rid of most but still a few marks.

Just wondering if anybody had any luck with any other cleaners for this sort of thing?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back