Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also find that sodium percarbonate works better than the Grainfather cleaner. I run mine around with pump and 10 ltrs of 60 degree water then scrub with nylon scourer, then rinse with water

I am going to try and double batch with the grainfather pumping into my old mash tun, a round cooler with a false bottom and tap, then using a keg King pump with a ball valve on the outlet to pump back to the grainfather.
The gf will keep the temp stable on both mash tuns with 7 kg in each vessel.
The plan is to then sparge into a 50L keggle and end up with 43L of beer in 2 fermenters. I'm going to do this on the weekend. I hope it works out, I need more spare time.
Even if I get 40l at 1.060 I will be happy.

And as for cleaning I use steel wool.
Not the smooth kind the rough stainless steel ones and I rip into it.
It's not made of gold, I see people say oh I used perc and Then Tri Chlor/pink and then I used vinegar and some acid with soft sponge,ffs get some steel wool with water and scrub the scale and shit off it.
Your willing to throw the whole periodic table at it but won't touch it with a scourer.
Not aimed at you coldspace I agree perc is an awesome cleaner but some gf snobs won't touch it.

That wasn't a burnt element. Do a witbier and you'll know a burnt element.

tugger said:
I am going to try and double batch with the grainfather pumping into my old mash tun, a round cooler with a false bottom and tap, then using a keg King pump with a ball valve on the outlet to pump back to the grainfather.
The gf will keep the temp stable on both mash tuns with 7 kg in each vessel.
The plan is to then sparge into a 50L keggle and end up with 43L of beer in 2 fermenters. I'm going to do this on the weekend. I hope it works out, I need more spare time.
Even if I get 40l at 1.060 I will be happy.
I've done 2 partigyles recently similarly to this but with the grain 100% in my 50L keg mash tun and gravity draining down to the GF. Worked brilliantly.

That's a good idea parks, I might omit the second pump and just sit the mash tun on the bench and gravity Feed the gf with grains in both using the tap on the tun to control the flow. The excess will flow down the overflow, I just need to keep the top tun full.

Goodbeer said:
Only thing is got a few scorch marks on the element. I gave it a light scrape with the paddle a few times during the brew as I'd read you should, but still got a few.

Scrubbed for close to an hour with hot water and the gf cleaning solution, got rid of most but still a few marks.
I've scorched pretty badly in the past (due more to user error than anything else). I still get minor scorching occasionally, depending on the grain bill.

So I've got a little bit of experience and have tried all sorts of methods. Most recently I soaked 3 times over 72 hours:

Firstly with the GF cleaner, brought liquid to boil then left overnight. Scrubbed in the morning with scouring side of a kitchen sponge.
Secondly with Sodium Perc, brought liquid to boil then left overnight. Scrubbed in the morning with scouring side of a kitchen sponge.
And finally, GF cleaner (stronger than the recommended amount) and washing soda, brought liquid to the boil. Scrubbed in the morning with scouring side of a kitchen sponge and this time, with a little elbow grease, the scorching came off.

So my advice is that sometimes you'll have to do multiple soaks. And sometimes you're going to have to make your cleaning solutions a bit stronger than recommended for a regular clean through.

Goodbeer said:
Hello all

Did my first grainfather batch last Saturday...was first all grain too. Now it's done I wish I'd started earlier.

Hit all my targets, ran smoothly, took forever as I was being over cautious with everything, but that should get better with each brew.

Only thing is got a few scorch marks on the element. I gave it a light scrape with the paddle a few times during the brew as I'd read you should, but still got a few.

Scrubbed for close to an hour with hot water and the gf cleaning solution, got rid of most but still a few marks.

Just wondering if anybody had any luck with any other cleaners for this sort of thing?

Thanks
I've used citric acid before which worked a treat. I'm about to give caustic soda a go which I imagine should work just as well.

I got myself a hop sock from craftbrewer recently to replace some hop bags that were starting to fall apart from old age. When I was chilling (I like to recirculate to get the whole brew down to ~30 degrees) I got the idea to put the outlet of the chiller into the hopsock to filter out some of the cold break. to my surprise it did a really, really good job of this and there was almost no trub at all in the bottom of the grainfather. It was clean wort all the way to bottom. I think I'll continue doing this as it's a good way to increase efficiency because you can transfer every last drop of wort into the fermenter with minimal trub making it in.

Futur said:
I've used citric acid before which worked a treat. I'm about to give caustic soda a go which I imagine should work just as well.
I cut a lemon in half and scrubbed the element with that. It cleaned up a treat with minimal elbow grease and I felt at one with nature :ph34r:

I'm down with the lemon. Just did the same as you killer brew, a few drops straight from the lemon and scorch marks pretty much just wiped off with a cloth!

I was scrubbing the element for literally an hour with the gf cleaner at 55 degrees post brew, got me nowhere.

Thanks again

Hey another possibly stupid question, is it normal to wash pre brew as well as post brew? Or do people just wash after use and that's it?

Just post brew with cleaning product.

However pre-brew I always pump some hot tap water through the system & chiller, then discard that water, then I start the batch with fresh, cold tap water.

kaiserben said:
Just post brew with cleaning product.

However pre-brew I always pump some hot tap water through the system & chiller, then discard that water, then I start the batch with fresh, cold tap water.
I do exactly the same. Although I'm going to be honest and say that after nearly 5 brews I haven't used the chiller once, it's still untouched. All no chill for me at the moment.

Mines packed away too.
I have been immersion chilling for a few months now, I probably won't go back.

This sounds interesting!

13267950_10153729401622879_8266060801187308993_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back