Dedicated Braumeister Guide, Problems & Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have10 meter 20 amp cable especially made up, I found the extra heavy duty 15 amp cable not up to the job. (Bunnings cables are a no no!) I have found the connecting plugs got pretty warm
As far as the connection to wifi, I am waiting for the "official" method to solve the problem. I finally managed to fix my connection. I had 5to borrow a laptop with USB port to connect to the wifi unit and make the required update on the software. A long and tedious process.

Last edited:
I have10 meter 20 amp cable especially made up, I found the extra heavy duty 15 amp cable not up to the job. (Bunnings cables are a no no!) I have found the connecting plugs got pretty warm
As far as the connection to wifi, I am waiting for the "official" method to solve the problem.
Yes you certainly want to limit any extension leads if possible or just run a thicker cable, a 20 amp cable will help reduce voltage drop due to cable length.

I bet if you did a conductor size and length calculation those Bunnings cables would only just meet standards, i'm surprised they make them that long actually... I don't run my BM50 with an extension cable, my 15amp outlet is beside the unit. Having said that though, i'Il do run two heating elements to heat approximately 150L of water for my Passata preserving each year (in a stainless steel 44 gallon drum) with the 3600w (15 amp) element running via a Bunnings 15 amp cable and the other "kettle element" 2400w connected straight to the 10amp GPO, they both get a little warm but not scary warm...

Anyone purchased the 10l Braumeister Plus lately?
I'm seriously considering picking up one and into last minute nerves on the commitment.

I really only make small batches so getting a 20l and small malt pipe doesn't make sense for me, easier to make batches and combine them for any rare occasion I need more. I'm mainly filling (and draining) 9.5l kegs with 5%ish ABV beer of different types.

Is the Plus really worth it? Looks like G&G are the only game in town from what I can see as far as getting one? Any tips/regrets/words of sage wisdom?

I've got the 10L one model back, just the basic not the plus.
Love it!
I mostly no-chill so the cooling jacket isnt all that useful to me. Not interested in running it from a phone or any of that.
Only change I would like to see is a bit bigger malt pipe, would be handy for higher gravity beers.
Mark

Thanks Mark. Do you find the losses when you drain to a cube OK with the v2 model?
Are you always up against the 10l beer to bottle/keg limit? Or it's not a big factor?

The tap is perhaps a little high, but a bit of careful tilting gets most of the wort into the cube.

For mine the limit is more often than not the amount of grain I can get into the malt pipe (~2.9kg max). I mostly brew higher alcohol beers for myself, so more often than not am only getting 6-8L.
A fair wack of the brewing I do is recipe development so how much I get isn’t really the point, might brew a beer 3-4 times before the recipe migrates to a bigger system. The smaller system means less waste as in truth I tip more than I drink - well until the recipe is spot on - none of that gets wasted.
Mark

The tap is perhaps a little high, but a bit of careful tilting gets most of the wort into the cube.

For mine the limit is more often than not the amount of grain I can get into the malt pipe (~2.9kg max). I mostly brew higher alcohol beers for myself, so more often than not am only getting 6-8L.
A fair wack of the brewing I do is recipe development so how much I get isn’t really the point, might brew a beer 3-4 times before the recipe migrates to a bigger system. The smaller system means less waste as in truth I tip more than I drink - well until the recipe is spot on - none of that gets wasted.
Mark
Tip it over here please?

It’s a real PITA trying to figure out minimim/maximum volume and grain amounts to conclusively decide between the BM 10/20l and short malt pipe!

~2.9kg doesn’t sound all that much really, just enough for around 5-6% - 10l beers on average maybe? But then if I get 20l and short malt pipe I’ll just be playing the same game with minimum volumes?

I’ll probably go the 10 and start saving for the 50. :)

Mate I know they cost (I traded work or a BM - cash poor) the build quality and reliability make them worth the cost.
I think you would be hard pressed finding anyone who regrets buying one, even people who sell them later for various reasons usually have good things to say about them.
Mark

It’s a real PITA trying to figure out minimim/maximum volume and grain amounts to conclusively decide between the BM 10/20l and short malt pipe!

~2.9kg doesn’t sound all that much really, just enough for around 5-6% - 10l beers on average maybe? But then if I get 20l and short malt pipe I’ll just be playing the same game with minimum volumes?

I’ll probably go the 10 and start saving for the 50. :)
If you are undecided be aware that the 10L will hold more grain than the small malt pipe 20L version
As Mark says the 10L holds about 2.9kg whereas the small malt pipe in a 20L model only holds about 2.5kg comfortably with good circulation
You can fit 2.7kg in if you turn the top filter plate over

Thanks guys, that's a great help with the detail on total grain. The 10l works better for me all round in light of that extra info. :cheers:

Folks any secret to the BM pump? I’ve got a new unit which I’ve had intermittent pump issues with. When I turn it on you can hear it spin for a second then stop for 10, spin again for a second and stop etc. When I get it working (maybe after 5 attempts of disassembling and retrying), I vent the pump per manual, clean after each brew, don’t have on when cooling, and it works fine for the brew.

Any tips on how to resolve? Pump is clean, no visible damage, never run without water, no hop debris, etc

I think it might be going through an automatic air ejection cycle.
If you just turn it on and wait there is a good chance it will kick off and do its job.
There have been lots of various software versions over the years, the newer ones can be updated, which might be worth looking at if you have one of the more recent models.
Juts put some water in the BM (say up to the tap) set the unit to manual and turn on and leave alone and see what happens.
Mark

Thanks Mark, that would make sense. Just tried again (turning on, no venting) and now can’t hear it spinning at all. When I switch pump off I can hear a slight sound, so makes me think it is blocked from spinning somehow. Visibly everything looks ok so I’m stumped. Have emailed the store I purchased from and will see what they say.

UPDATE: G&G said there's been a few units go out where the pump does not have the correct firmware installed. They're posting out a new pump today which should resolve the issue. Disappointing to have the issue but can't fault the customer service.

Last edited:
They had a pump problem a few years ago, the pumps are third party made in Italy and are a great little pump, unless they stuff up, which can happen.

BM have always been good at fixing any issues but yes it sucks when it happens to you.
Mark

Does anyone else have issues doughing in? I recently bought a 10L brau and have noticed that when doughing in, once I get past approx 2kg of malt in the pipe, the malt becomes difficult to wet/stir in. I often end up using the filter plates to compress the grain bed in order to wet the malt.
I use 12L water per the manual and my beers haven't really exceeded 2.5kg of malt total. No issues with overall capacity, just takes a while to get mash going.
Anyone got any tips or tricks to doughing in?

I can't speak for the 10L but for larger grain bills on the 20L once the malt pipe starts getting full or difficult to stir I pour about a litre from the BM tap into a jug then slowly add this back to the top of the malt pipe. Repeat as necessary to get all the grain in.

I’ve used 2.8 kg grains in the 10L before. Just took it slowly, stirring a couple of times as filling. Have also used the empty some water out method before when I miscalculated the size of cooked rice for a rice lager.

I have adjusted my process for thicker mashes. Using a bucket, I pour 1/2 to 2/3 of my grains into the water filled BM and then stir the thin "mash" with a mash paddle to remove any dough balls. I then pour water from the BM tap into my bucket with the rest of the grains until there is enough water to stir these grains easily. Again stir to remove any dough balls.
Then tip the bucket into the BM (may require additional rinsing of grains with water from BM) and proceed with the mash.

Back