Coopers selling full kit & bits recipe packs with free postage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DU99 said:
the pack should have a option with carb drops.
do you mean an option without carb drops? The pack comes with carb drops

I'm loving the look of this brew, it's an ideal Kit + bits. Rich coffee/Choc/Toffee tones with a floral hop combination, I don't think you can go wrong! Good job Coopers.

I've had two really good brews using the Coopers Dark Ale can as a base and I think I've got everything in that recipe but the can already here at home... I might have to head to Kmart today :D.

Does anyone have an opinion on what the Old Brown Dog recipe would be like without the hops and grain (i.e. just using the Dried Malt Extract, Amber Ale Extract and Dark Lager can with a decent yeast?)

I have all of the above sitting around but I don't have the hops and grain, and have never used hops and grain before (this will be literally my second brew).

I'm considering putting this down tomorrow but not sure if it will taste ok without the steeping of the grain and hops, I'm not really experienced enough to know what flavours they'll add and whether or not the beer will still be ok without them.

It will be fine, will still be a nice tasty beer.
Although the hops will help it shine,.

Indicia is right, it'll be a fine brown ale without the extras but the grains give it a fresher taste (kinda like a craft beer) and the hops give it a very nice flavor hit. No reason not to use the recipe without them if it's a pain to get the extra ingredients, though if you can you certainly won't regret the extra effort :)

ChrisLevo said:
Just cracked my first bottle of the Wee heavy.

It's great :super:

Good to know. I bottled mine last weekend and it had a little nasty aftertaste that I'm hoping will melow out in the bottle. Did you deviate from the recipie at all? The only thing I did was ferment it at 18 instead of 21 and probably pitched the yeast a little higher than suggested.

No change from the recipe.

I didn't even bother checking temperature, but can tell you that the start of the ferment was humungous!

The Belle Saison was really good, but this is really, really nice. Thick and chewy, with a great sweet nose.

The next one is up (as I think someone else on the forum has pointed out too) It's a straight up K&B Golden Ale this time!

Pale ale kit plus a kilo of dry malt, 200g of crystal malt and 50g of Amarillo hops, nice and easy but still looking good. The 25g of amarillo @10 minutes and 25g dry hopped should give it a nice flavour. A bit reminiscent of Dr Smurtos and James Squires Golden Ales. You gotta love Amarillo in a Golden, it's a pretty fool proof combo and at $45 with free postage you can't go wrong.

God I love Coopers, still an Australian owned and family run brewing institution that supports homebrewing world-wide. I'm sure I've still got a bottle or two of that awesome extract Cheeky Cherub Golden Ale they put out last year stashed somewhere, I'll have to dig one out...

Just a heads up for the unaware! anyone purchasing the standard coopers beer packs from the coopers online store, the packs are more expensive than buying the ingredients separately from the same store.

TheBigD said:
Just a heads up for the unaware! anyone purchasing the standard coopers beer packs from the coopers online store, the packs are more expensive than buying the ingredients separately from the same store.
Coopers don't sell extra grain and hops except in the recipe packs but I think I know what you mean. The price of the recipe packs are a bit more expensive than the total cost of purchasing the individual components from other homebrew shops/suppliers.

Despite this, I've always liked the Coopers recipe kits for their convenience (everything you need for a good brew delivered straight to your door), the free postage to anywhere is Australia (if you were to add postage price to the cost of the individual ingredients from an online supplier you might discover that the Coopers is quite well priced) and the clear step-by-step instructions they give with the recipe (fool-proof brewing that's great for the novice brewer).

menoetes said:
Coopers don't sell extra grain and hops except in the recipe packs but I think I know what you mean. The price of the recipe packs are a bit more expensive than the total cost of purchasing the individual components from other homebrew shops/suppliers.

Despite this, I've always liked the Coopers recipe kits for their convenience (everything you need for a good brew delivered straight to your door), the free postage to anywhere is Australia (if you were to add postage price to the cost of the individual ingredients from an online supplier you might discover that the Coopers is quite well priced) and the clear step-by-step instructions they give with the recipe (fool-proof brewing that's great for the novice brewer).
big D is saying, if you buy coopers beer kits ,[not talking about the monthly recipe] it is more expensive than buying separately , I know it sounds odd but its true. :angry:

Picked up the new ROTM gotta get onto brewing last months ROTM.

I just bought all the bits for dr smurtos golden ale three days before they posted the new ROTM at a bit more than their price. Hohum, maybe next month

I had all these ingredients handy except the yeast.
Popped out and got some today and did a mix up tonight.
Not far from what I usually like to throw in. Normally I use S05 and like a bit of dark malt in as well for meatiness, otherwise this looks like the regular Friday cook up.
I know I'm going to like this one.
Just have to focus on draining a keg to make space.

spilver said:
Just have to focus on draining a keg to make space.
That's never a chore sir, and I'd be happy to help out! :D

US05 with be fine for the brew I'm sure though darker malt will definitely change the malt profile IMHO still it's a good brew one way or another... enjoy!

Going to try to ask the Mrs for the Golden Ale Kit for a birthday present.

Then she can't get upset when I decide to brew..... mess in the Kitchen, shouod be spending the time on something else etc.... as I am appreciating the gift! ;)

Just got an email from coopers saying the yeast in the ROTM Golden Ale (BRY-97) may have low viability. They said to pitch both the BRY-97 and the packet under the lid. Just bottled mine tonight and it fermented fine in normal times.

My brown dog didn't go terribly well in the fv but still tastes great. That used the same yeast so maybe they got a cheap batch off the back of a truck somewhere

Latest posts

Back