Coopers selling full kit & bits recipe packs with free postage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, it's ok Bax. I've not been paying close attention of late so it's only to be expected :).

I thought that summer Weisse was going to be up here forever, I'm glad to see a new one go up and this one looks alright. Another kit and bits (I had hoped for another extract brew but you can't have everything) that looks solid. Anyone brewed with Vic Secret before?

I'm still working my way through all the stock I picked up when coopers had their free delivery deal just before xmas, so I might give this one a miss too but it does look solid and as usual it's good value for money. The only alteration I would make is adding some steeped light crystal or carapils maybe to give it some extra body. After-all who didn't love Marilyn's full figured body? ;)

To be honest I've been checking that page every day since the 20th or thereabouts.

I'm trying to hold down a budget at the moment so as much as I've been hanging out for another brew, I'm giving this one a miss also. Will be doing a simple kits and bits but splitting the costs with a mate at work, also splitting the results, but I can handle that. Might be time to buy some more bottles or start kegging though.

I have used Vic Secret before and will again. Lovely smell and flavour.

Sold out! Come on Coopers, what's next? I'm still enjoying the last cheeky cherub recipe I bought, it just gets better with age.

I'm keen to see what they're doing next, but on the same note I'm thinking that I'm going to do a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone.

$35.95 delivered, after free shiping code SCOTCH and $4.00 club member discount :D

I got in too late with for the facebook stubbie holder offer, they were out of stock. Damn. To be honest I'm not terribly excited about this Recipe of the Month, it's simple and great for beginners but I've been enjoying playing with hops and grains to much to go without them in a brew now.

Brewing with brown sugar is interesting, I think it's a cheats way of getting some caramel flavours into the beer without the trouble of steeping a grain like crystal 60. I'll admit I've done it with one or two dark beers, honey works a treat there too.

Having said that it is still a bargain for what is likely going to be a decent drop with free shipping and looks like a quick & easy brew. It's also sold out in less than a week, so who am I to argue with the masses? :D

OT: Bax, how did you go with your S&W Pacific Ale clone? I love that beer and have made my own Kit & Bits clone a few times with great results.

It seems like the brewing it yourself is the safest way to go since the last two times I was at First Choice Liquor they told me they were sold out and didn't know when more would be available. It seems like S&W are having trouble keeping up with demand and I for one am glad to see such a good brewer doing so well :chug:

Still haven't put it down yet mate, I'm a bit tight for cash so I haven't had a chance to do another order of hops and malt. I've been drinking my Coopers Pale Ale with Citra for the past few weeks but I think I gave away more than I drank. I was a fan as well. I'm hoping the Pacific Ale is pretty similar, Galaxy is like Citra from what I gather, maybe not as intense? And with a hop boil instead of just dry hopping. And the added wheat, it should be quite nice, I'll give it a couple of weeks until I put it down.

Agreed with the current kit, it has sold out already as well I believe. Pretty simple, and again. Agree, just the addition of hops, makes a huge difference to standard extract/kilo.

Galaxy is a great hop, with very distinct tropical fruit flavors (passion fruit in particular) rather than the citrus hit you get from Citra, I love it. It's an Australian made breed too, I'm so proud of us :D .

Just do as you did with your Citra pale ale but with Galaxy hops and Coopers Euro Lager kit (boil + dry hopping) and you won't be disappointed. I use S-05 yeast to get a really clean brew and the S&W Pacific Ale is not actually a lager after-all. I make it every 3 or 4th brew I enjoy it so much and it's so easy!

menoetes said:
Galaxy is a great hop, with very distinct tropical fruit flavors (passion fruit in particular) rather than the citrus hit you get from Citra, I love it. It's an Australian made breed too, I'm so proud of us :D .

Just do as you did with your Citra pale ale but with Galaxy hops and Coopers Euro Lager kit (boil + dry hopping) and you won't be disappointed. I use S-05 yeast to get a really clean brew and the S&W Pacific Ale is not actually a lager after-all. I make it every 3 or 4th brew I enjoy it so much and it's so easy!
I love Galaxy. Vic Secret, is Galaxy's sister and also very nice - just not quite as intense.

You do have to be careful with Galaxy though, very easy to overdo it, particularly late.

menoetes said:

what your recipe/process for this one mate?

Same info for me please menoetes. Start a thread if you don't want to chew this one up.

The recipe I had for it was just a tin of light malt. 1kg of dry wheat malt. US05, and galaxy, 5g @ 25m, 15@ 15, 15@5, 15@ 0 and 15 again a few days later. Something like that anyway.

Spiesy, I couldn't agree with you more. I just had the Bridge road single hop Vic Secret IPA and I loved it. I am going to try my S&W kit recipe subbing Galaxy for Vic secret at some point, I think it will really let the hops shine :) .

For those who wanted it, the recipe is as simple as anything, a very quick Kit + bits. I thought I had posted it somewhere around here before but will happily repost.;

1 x Coopers Euro lager Kit
1kg liquid wheat malt
250g dextrose
250g carapils grain, milled.
30g Galaxy hops @ 5min
20g Galaxy hops - dry hop
US-05 Yeast.

Just steep the carapils in 2lts of 70'c water for 30 minutes and strain into a 10lt+ pot, wash the grain in another 1.5lts of hot tap water and strain into the pot again before bringing it to the boil for 10 minutes. Add the 30g of Galaxy hops, boil for 5 more minutes and take it off the heat. Stir in Coopers Lager kit, liquid wheat malt and dextrose and pour into your fermenter (You can strain it to get the hops out, I don't bother).

Top up to 23lts with cold water aiming for a final temp of 20'c and pitch the yeast. Ferment as close to 18'c as you can. I ferment for two weeks and throw the last 20g of hops in dry with 5 - 6 days to go. Bottle and 3 - 4 weeks later it's good to go. I like this one pretty young while the hops are still fresh and really fragrant. :icon_drool2:

Comes out nice and pale and super fragrant, tastes pretty damn close for the little work it takes to produce. Occasionally I'll use 1.5kg of wheat malt and cut out the dextrose if I'm feeling lazy with little difference in the end result taste-wise but it changes the mouth-feel a little. Likewise, you don't have to add the Carapils (it'll still taste great without it) but it gets it that bit closer to the taste of real thing IMHO and it's on a small cheap addition if you have a LHBS handy that adds a great extra flavor element.

Hope that helps my brew brothers.

Im tempted, the extra bit of technique (grains and hops + dry hopping) is the direction I'm slowly leaning towards with my current re-introduction to brewing, though I don't think a brown ale is really mt thing. Might have to wait til next months.

I still think the new fermenters are great. I love the feet and tap.
Easy to clean and pull apart. Not shoure about the collar but slowly getting used to it.
I can see a day when I've got Ss fermenters but the coopers fermenter I will keep.

Back