Cling Wrap Lid Sanitary? No-chill In Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
Two quick questions before my brew tomz,

1. Is cling wrap sanitary and okay to use without the use of a sanitiser as a fermenter lid?

and in relation to this,

2. Is it okay to no-chill in the fermenter as i will pitch the yeast as soon as it gets down to temp? And if so will a cling wrap lid be okay with boiling wort underneath it?

Cheers Clint

just dont use any of that pallet wrapping cling wrap.. its bad :lol:

tongue out of cheek

1/ Cling wrap is fine mate.
2/ No chill in the fermenter I wouldnt recommend, you really want minimal or none headspace, that not to say chilling a fermenter wont work but there maybe a lot of headspace with a lot of stuff n things you dont want in your beer.
Is your fermenter up to/conditioned too handle boiling temps?
Clingwrap with boiling wort underneath, no

um, i wouldn't clingwrap the vessel you're no-chilling in, and, you typically want to aerate the wort before pitching, hence, no-chill in cube, then pour into fermenter.

Which is completely different. Why do you make these posts?

2. Is it okay to no-chill in the fermenter as i will pitch the yeast as soon as it gets down to temp? And if so will a cling wrap lid be okay with boiling wort underneath it?

Cheers Clint

The reason no chill works is because it's in an airtight container while it chills. Haysie's already pointed out about the headspace.

Cling wrap will not be airtight which will defeat the purpose. You might get away with it - you might get away with it many times but it is different from the principles of no-chill.

I kettle no-chill all the time.

In Nick's defence, his reply was somewhat minimalist and could maybe have been expanded to:

"I kettle chill because after having had the crap boiled out of it for at least an hour this piece of equipment and the wort it contains is guaranteed to be sanitised, and if sealed up well should yield sterile wort for the morning, when it can be poured into the fermenter with much splashing to aerate".

Nevertheless it begs a number of questions such as - do you want to have your wort in contact with spent hops overnight? (no problems if you used a hop sock) and - is it a kettle with no nooks and crannies (for example the first infection I got with AG was with no chilling in my urn and I got an infection, then later found some hop material in the tap - not guaranteed to be held at sanitizing temps during boiling as part of the tap is exterior to the main boiling chamber). The sight tube could be a trap as well - I zap mine with peroxide regularly.

Why do you make these posts?

The same might be asked about you, bum...

If one was trying to avoid no chilling in a sealed vessel, then I would suggest no-chilling in the kettle and transfering into the fermenter (leaving the break materials behind) and aerating the wort on transfer when it's reached pitching temperature.

EDIT: cheers, Bribie - that's what I should have said - I forgot about Cunstable Bum and his Elite Critique Division.

The same might be asked about you, bum...

I don't see how. I'm not in the habit of recommending that novice brewers (such as myself) follow advice that goes against most tested and proven brewing practice without explaining how my own experience has shown that it can work if I follow a particular methods I've developed over years of experience.

Simply telling a noob (sorry, OP, not necessarily meaning you but these things do stay here for others to read in the future) that they should no-chill in their kettle is inviting nothing but bad beer and you bloody well know it. Stop it.

Simply telling a noob (sorry, OP, not necessarily meaning you but these things do stay here for others to read in the future) that they should no-chill in their kettle is inviting nothing but bad beer and you bloody well know it. Stop it.

People said the same things about no-chilling.

Please list for me the problems I should be having with kettle chilling and how they differ from "traditional" no-chilling ... and I'll then ask you if you've kettle chilled, and if not - then how did you become and expert at something you've never tried?

Offer some advice that's not an attack of other's advice. Go on. You might find you like it. I'm trying really hard to see if I can find any instances of you being positive on AHB. Why so sad and angry?

I'm not telling you what problems you have with kettle chilling. I'm not going to tell you your beers are all infected. I'm talking about other people. Other people who might not have anything but our words on a screen to base their decisions on. You can't just say it is okay to no-chill in a kettle without any qualifiers. Someone will stuff their beer because of it. Not everyone. Someone.

Please remember that I am not telling you not to do it. Do what you bloody well like. But if you're going to tell others to do it then make sure they're properly informed. Bribie mentions the only concerns I can think of with the method. And I'm sure there are much smarter brewers than I who can think of more but I'm sure they'll stay silent like they do every other time you tell people to throw caution to the wind because it is just too bloody hard.

But if you're going to tell others to do it then make sure they're properly informed.

26,000 views of a thread with kettle chilling in it ... I'm not sure how much more "properly informed" I can make people.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head - it's up to the big boys and girls here at AHB to develop their own ideas on what's possible and what's not. Yes, I am always toting the more-uncoventional methods of getting things done, but I wouldn't tell anyone if they didn't work. I've done over a hundred kettle chills without incident, so I'm saying it works - deal with it.

Anyway, bye Bum - you on my shitlist. You no fun, all whingy man.

bum said:
You have chosen to ignore all posts from: bum.

View this post
Un-ignore bum

thanks for the responses haha, ill no chill in the cube, then transfer whilst aerating, then cling wrap lid (no need to sanatise)

:)

Please remember that I am not telling you not to do it. Do what you bloody well like. But if you're going to tell others to do it then make sure they're properly informed. Bribie mentions the only concerns I can think of with the method. And I'm sure there are much smarter brewers than I who can think of more but I'm sure they'll stay silent like they do every other time you tell people to throw caution to the wind because it is just too bloody hard.
I use a hop sock so no hops are left over, and my kettle is just a 20L stock pot so no places for anything to hide. I haven't had any troubles so far but if there are any other smarter brewers with concerns with this method I'd like to hear it. They can message me if they don't want to post it in this thread!

I use a hop sock so no hops are left over, and my kettle is just a 20L stock pot so no places for anything to hide. I haven't had any troubles so far but if there are any other smarter brewers with concerns with this method I'd like to hear it. They can message me if they don't want to post it in this thread!

How do you separate your wort from your hot break?

How do you separate your wort from your hot break?

The hot and cold break are left behind in the same manner as decanting a bottle of beer off the yeast sediment.

Any effects from cooling on the hot break material are negligible considering it's been boiling for the previous 90 minutes on it.

I was going to say that Nick was a twat for derailing the thread but I changed my mind by being slightly on topic for the sake of the OPs question. I no chill in my fermenters with no problems what so ever. As a side note, you also dont need to aerate your wort if using dried yeast, just leave to cool over night, take the lid off in the morning, sprinkle your yeast and seal. I cant answer your question about cling wrap as I dont use it as a lid but I do use it over the top of the airlock with a lacky band with no troubles.
Cheers
Steve

Just a question here lads & girls when you tip youre cube into youre fermenter what do you leave behind & what for?

I throw my hops in my kettle & drain it all into the cube

I then pour the lot onto my yeast starter

I then rack to get it off all the crud after 2 to 3 days then leave for 12 days or so ales here atm

Currently doing a big brown big for me 5.8% pitched on half a yeast cake & Im currently changing fermenter lids like you wouldnt believe
I'll have to get a blow off tube I spose

As for the ops post yes its just as easy to cube it than leave it in the kettle then if sanitised its safe for however long

I dont see any advantages in cling wraping just a bigger mess if the krausen goes ballistic but definately not to use it when wort is hot
Tell me you dont use it on youre food when you microwave its bad for you.

Latest posts

Back