Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bizenya said:
Sounds good- I am planning the same

Any one have any discoloration on the inside where the legs are? I've noted some on one leg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428130362.714718.jpg
I haven't seen that, but I noticed some discolouration on the welds around the legs on the outside of the fermenter. Re-passivated it and now the discolouration is less noticeable.

Turn your fermenter over and see how those welds look, they could be the cause.

Milk-lizard84 said:
Howdy all. I'm looking at making a blow off valve for my brew bucket and was just wondering if anyone had rigged up there own one using 1/2inch stainless steel bits instead of purchasing the actual blow off assembly from ss brewtech.
I use a standard LHBS two piece airlock in the bung that came with the bucket. Take off the top section and slide a metre of beer line onto the bit that sticks up in the bottom section (LHBS will sell you some to fit the airlock) then drop the other end into a bottle of water.

2 piece airlock.jpg

I've some standard 1/2" silicone hose that is a snug fit in the hole.

On the leaking tap issue I bought a heap of 16mm x 2.65mm silicone o rings from aliexpress. Originals are 1.8mm thick so I'm hoping these work. They should be a bit softer than the brewtech ones going by the description. If they work I'm happy to post a few out to any with similar issues.

Bribie G said:
I use a standard LHBS two piece airlock in the bung that came with the bucket. Take off the top section and slide a metre of beer line onto the bit that sticks up in the bottom section (LHBS will sell you some to fit the airlock) then drop the other end into a bottle of water.

attachicon.gif
2 piece airlock.jpg
Did exactly this for the first time the other week, been thinking of doing it for a while. Works a treat.

I use starsan in the bottle ;)

Just received a brewmaster bucket from Auspost. Looking forward to using it this weekend for a stout.

It seems as though not many people have got the FTSS? To those that do, do you think it works well? Thinking about getting a 7gal chronical and would love to not have it jammed in a fridge.

How would you supply the chilled water source for, say, ten days? Might be ok in Oregon in the winter when the local tap water is probably near freezing.

Bribie G said:
How would you supply the chilled water source for, say, ten days? Might be ok in Oregon in the winter when the local tap water is probably near freezing.
Yeah the FTSS doesn't really seem like a convenient solution, I would rather use a fridge.

Without owning one, I would think you would have a bucket or something in a fridge / freezer with ~5L of water / glyco and pump it around in a loop.

I guess the advantage would be you could to more than one fermenter off of a fridge / freezer that could only fit one....

You also can't switch from cooling/heating, I just don't see the point if you still need a fridge to run your coolant out of. It's not all that cheap either.

I can't see the point of an FTSS for my setup where I'm really only fermenting maybe 2 batches at once on the odd occasion.

I can see the point where somebody was fermenting multiple batches at a time consistently. You just have a freezer or fridge cooling a big source of water for your fermentors instead of a bunch of fridges (or cold room).

Automatically switching from heating to cooling would be an issue in Brisbane I suppose. Probably end up replacing their control unit with STC 1000 and run pumps from cold fridge or hot urn. Or you purchase 2 FTSS's.

EDIT: I should say it reduces the volume problem. My system needs about 22L to fill malt pipe and cover heating element. This mesh pipe would need probably 1/4 that, so you could do reduced batch sizes for experimental brews or quicker school night brews. Hmm, not a bad idea: reduced height malt pipe for school night brewing. Do half the recipe each night, cube them, and then full ferment..

Bribie G said:
I would use the esky method, switching out frozen bottles etc. I guess it would be a bit of a pita, but just thought it would be pretty good. The other option would possibly be the Brewjacket Immersion, but getting one to aus will total over $400 so that stops that unfortunately. Perhaps getting another fridge will be the best option.

I suppose the other option would be a reservoir in my keezer, perhaps a corny full of water.

On the topic of FTSS, Has anyone considered using aquarium chiller to maintain fermenter temp?
I saw the FTSS and wondered why? As there is no actual chilling or heating included.

They come in small versions with peltier( solid state cooler) and bigger ones with fridge type compressor coolers. Some have heat and cool options. Many rely on external pump and you would still need the stainless coil in the fermenter.

If they work could be up for a BB?.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Black Devil Dog said:
I haven't seen that, but I noticed some discolouration on the welds around the legs on the outside of the fermenter. Re-passivated it and now the discolouration is less noticeable.

Turn your fermenter over and see how those welds look, they could be the cause.
Legs look ok, bit of scoring but nothing out of the ord

I've had it fermenting a AIPA for two weeks which is getting cold crashed and bottled next week so I'll check to see what it's like then-if worse might shoot em a line

Cheers

Brett

Having picked up my 7gal Chronical today, I thought
I'd go through this thread. On the topic of pressurised transfers it does state that the receiving keg must be 'open to the atmosphere, otherwise the transfer may stall'. Also it is designed to vent at 3-4 psi, not 5. 5 is the max rating before you damage the vessel. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1429272401.306764.jpg

If you want a fitting for the bucket for a ss option for a blow off use a SKIN FITTING from eBay.
They have a barbed end in boat fittings.
SAV

Hi brewers

Ok I just picked up my Cronical7.
Has anyone bought extra tri clamp fittings?
I am a little miffed the valves only have tri clover fitting on one side!

I have seen lots on Ebay from China but wondering about quality?
Cheers

Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zwitter said:
Hi brewers

Ok I just picked up my Cronical7.
Has anyone bought extra tri clamp fittings?
I am a little miffed the valves only have tri clover fitting on one side!

I have seen lots on Ebay from China but wondering about quality?
Cheers

Zwitter
What do you mean by a "tri clover fitting on one side".

Both outputs on your Chronical should end with a ball valve.

I reckon he means the ball valve only has triclover on one side, the other side is threaded.

Back