Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milk-lizard84 said:
So after I passivated my bucket it has become spotty and streaky one the outside.
I know it's only a visual thing but just wondering if I used a bit of bar keepers friend on it would it damage the exterior of the bucket at all?
if you're really concerned then sponge it off with PBW, sodium percarbonate or whatever else, rinse clean with a hose and polish dry with a towel. the streaks are just dried on water and cleaner deposits.

Polishing dry is the secret ingredient here.

I have done it once but now that everyone has seen it and patted my back I don't bother anymore.

Florian said:
if you're really concerned then sponge it off with PBW, sodium percarbonate or whatever else, rinse clean with a hose and polish dry with a towel. the streaks are just dried on water and cleaner deposits.

Polishing dry is the secret ingredient here.

I have done it once but now that everyone has seen it and patted my back I don't bother anymore.
Haha! The only time I clean the outside of my brewrig is to post upgrade pics. The rest of the time I'm lucky if I flick the earwigs off it.

Got another question in regards to holding a good seal on the lid of my brew bucket. Any body else having any dramas with the top seal at all?
I know that airlock activity isn't the only sign that the fermentation is occuring but I kind of enjoy it. Past 2 brews I've had no activity through the airlock and was curious if anyone else has had the same problem.

Milk-lizard84 said:
Got another question in regards to holding a good seal on the lid of my brew bucket. Any body else having any dramas with the top seal at all?
I know that airlock activity isn't the only sign that the fermentation is occuring but I kind of enjoy it. Past 2 brews I've had no activity through the airlock and was curious if anyone else has had the same problem.
Bit that I've experienced. I guess try reseating the rubber? Could it be the airlock bung?

On that note, I've lost my airlock bung. Anyone know of a readily available replacement?

Mr. No-Tip said:
Bit that I've experienced. I guess try reseating the rubber? Could it be the airlock bung?

On that note, I've lost my airlock bung. Anyone know of a readily available replacement?
10mm ID (iirc) vinyl tubing from Bunnings fits snug enough to cause a seal. Just run a bit off into a flask of Star San for a blow off tube.

WarmerBeer said:
10mm ID (iirc) vinyl tubing from Bunnings fits snug enough to cause a seal. Just run a bit off into a flask of Star San for a blow off tube.
Nice idea. In fact, I think I already have silicon tubing that might do the job. Cheers!

Milk-lizard84 said:

Fill bb with water, fi lid, attach filled air lock and turn on tap
If water is sucked in thru air lock you're all good
Don't ask how I know

meathead said:
Fill bb with water, fi lid, attach filled air lock and turn on tap
If water is sucked in thru air lock you're all good
Don't ask how I know
Cheers meathead. Ill give that a crack. Maybe my past 2 brews haven't fermented vigirously enough to warrant any airlock activity.

Milk-lizard84 said:
Cheers meathead. Ill give that a crack. Maybe my past 2 brews haven't fermented vigirously enough to warrant any airlock activity.
If the vessel has a seal, any ferment action will cause airlock bubbling, unless you leave the airlock empty.

I am going to try my Brew Bucket with some cling wrap next time. I like to see if there's any activity after the airlock slows down. I think my last 2 beers just dropped to the bottom of the cone and went to sleep.

Will test run with my 50 litre fusti for 2 reasons:- Smaller lid/ rubber band size, and 25 litres of wheat beer which would fill my ferment fridge with foam. Yeast just pitched and whipped with a large sanitised whisk

Oh. and it fits in the fridge better

weizen1.jpgfusti.jpgweizen2.jpg

I'm having disappointing and continuing problems with the supplied tap on the brewbucket. I obtained a 3 piece ball valve that I still can't get to seat properly so still using the original.

I often get a weep from the base of the valve and a little rivulet that then drips off the base of the cone.

If I half fill the vessel with water first to test I can do a problem free fermentation but today I trusted the vessel and put the wort in. Dribble dribble dribble.

Wiggling the tap around is no help so I just transferred into old school FV.

What solutions?

Depends where the leak is.
New o ring
Thread tape
Tighten a bit more?

Where did you buy the ball valve? I have some from an aussie supplier up Brisane way and no problems but some chinese ones the finish is rough and they leak sometimes.

I always test the plumbing after any change.

I Hate leaks

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have similar issues with mine. I think the problem is the o rings are too thin and of a hard composite. Once it starts to dribble it's a horrible feeling when you think you might have to transfer it to plastic. I've been lucky before and stopped it by quickly rotating the tap clockwise. I also find initial over tightening can cause it to leak.

I've become reluctant to set my racking arm at 90 degrees but with my last batch the tube got blocked by hops and yeast.

While I'm determined to source some better o rings, until then my approach will be : keg lube on the o rings, 'lightly' finger tighten ( I'm an ex-mechanic, finger tight was til it stripped then back off half a turn), set the tap and arm at 90 degrees (horizontal) and only move it down once after cold crashing and only when I'm ready to transfer to keg.

Thanks. Will test filled with water and use the keg lube and light tighten trick.

Bribie G said:
Thanks. Will test filled with water and use the keg lube and light tighten trick.
I have to agree witht he keg lube option. Was going to post that after reading your initial question, so now I'm just confirming and agreeing with Camo6.
Tighten lightly also may pay dividends, but not if the gasket/o-ring is now flat.
Camo6 said:
I have similar issues with mine. I think the problem is the o rings are too thin and of a hard composite. Once it starts to dribble it's a horrible feeling when you think you might have to transfer it to plastic. I've been lucky before and stopped it by quickly rotating the tap clockwise. I also find initial over tightening can cause it to leak.

I've become reluctant to set my racking arm at 90 degrees but with my last batch the tube got blocked by hops and yeast.

While I'm determined to source some better o rings, until then my approach will be : keg lube on the o rings, 'lightly' finger tighten ( I'm an ex-mechanic, finger tight was til it stripped then back off half a turn), set the tap and arm at 90 degrees (horizontal) and only move it down once after cold crashing and only when I'm ready to transfer to keg.
I really can't see much point having the weak tap and arm, with the tiny outlet. I tried to put a hose on the tap for the first time, to rack a beer into a keg recently and my 1/2 inch hose was too big, so I went back to the auto-siphon (which has it's own problems).

However, the tap on my Brew Bucket still seals fine, and it's the $30 you-beaut SS tap on my fusti that leaks when you open it. Still working on that one. Decided to disassemble and lube.

How good is it to see that SS fermentation opens up it's own world of new problems?

I've seen the earlier posts but how many people are taking their taps apart on the brewbucket/brewmaster after each brew?

Or are most people going with the sodium percarb / starsan soak with the tap being turned often?

I've only done one brew (Epic Pale) but am planning the next and just a bit unsure if the go is to soak or disassemble

I run the hose on high pressure through the tap while opening and closing. Then it gets soaked in PBW and then starsan. Haven't pulled one apart yet.

Sounds good- I am planning the same

Any one have any discoloration on the inside where the legs are? I've noted some on one leg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428130362.714718.jpg

Howdy all. I'm looking at making a blow off valve for my brew bucket and was just wondering if anyone had rigged up there own one using 1/2inch stainless steel bits instead of purchasing the actual blow off assembly from ss brewtech.

WarmerBeer said:

Milk-lizard84 said:
Howdy all. I'm looking at making a blow off valve for my brew bucket and was just wondering if anyone had rigged up there own one using 1/2inch stainless steel bits instead of purchasing the actual blow off assembly from ss brewtech.

Latest posts

Back