Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been umm-ing and ah-ing since Christmas about buying either a brewbucket or Chronical7. Probably the only reason I have not is the lack of stock.

Fat Barstard. I will make a few comments regarding pressure. They are not 'rated' pressure vessels. And pressure is almost always misunderstood. Just a quick calculation assuming the lid is 30cm across at 5psi it will have a force of about 250kg pushing it open. As it is made of quite thin material and only held at six points it is going to leak. I think their 5 psi is more of a "you wont break it at 5 psi"

I am interested in some answers.
If I buy one will it have the small or longer racking arm?
Are the ball valves an issue? Ie sanitary fittings but unsanitary valves?
Are there better / improved versions coming?
Would you recommend?

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been umm-ing and ah-ing since Christmas about buying either a brewbucket or Chronical7. Probably the only reason I have not is the lack of stock.

Fat Barstard. I will make a few comments regarding pressure. They are not 'rated' pressure vessels. And pressure is almost always misunderstood. Just a quick calculation assuming the lid is 30cm across at 5psi it will have a force of about 250kg pushing it open. As it is made of quite thin material and only held at six points it is going to leak. I think their 5 psi is more of a "you wont break it at 5 psi"

I am interested in some answers.
If I buy one will it have the small or longer racking arm?
Are the ball valves an issue? Ie sanitary fittings but unsanitary valves?
Are there better / improved versions coming?
Would you recommend?

James

Best to address these questions with NewEraBrewing.
There will always be improvements, as with computers. Just jump in.
I bought a Brew Bucket and just stating to realise how much better and cleaner it is than plastic fermentors.
I recommend what you can afford, or just start fermenting in an old keg, of whatever size suits.

I have a strange questions:

The surface of my brew bucket, on the inside varies. smooth to slightly rough... like there is a calcium build up or something - but I can't seem to scrub it off.

Would like to point out that it's not effecting my beer... is it beer stone or something?

anyone else suffer from this?

Is it just the tooling marks from when the sheet was rolled/spun into a cylinder?
Parallel to the top?
Stone has a darkish colour, so prob not that.
My BB has not yet had enough use to develop/create any character.

Yes, it probably is just the tooling marks, it does run that way. I knew I was just being paranoid.

Cheers!

Ah, if it is only that, then it's a feature and not a flaw!

I never thought to question it, but that may be due to age and experience with cheap methods of manufacture.

I imagine so - I don't see it on anything else I own that's stainless.... but for the price point, it's fine.

Les the Weizguy said:
Best to address these questions with NewEraBrewing.
There will always be improvements, as with computers. Just jump in.
I bought a Brew Bucket and just stating to realise how much better and cleaner it is than plastic fermentors.
I recommend what you can afford, or just start fermenting in an old keg, of whatever size suits.

Hi Les

Yes I can ask NewEra except I am in Sydney. But was more wanting a users perspective on those issues?
Price is important but would not take many screwed brews to account the difference.

Funny how nothing for 3 weeks then whoosh a whole lot in 3 hours.....

I may visit local agent on the weekend.
James

I contacted New Era via email and had several fruitful conversations before deciding to purchase.

I'm in Newcastle, and email is universal. Sorry, that's what I meant by ask. Phone calls can get exxy.

I can explain my presence here, and answering your question. I was trying to help out a bloke at work who was thinking about looking into S/S fermentors, so this thread was one of my first stops.

Good onya, James. After the sting of the cost of stainless has subsided, you will continue to feel the shiny, shiny love for a long time.

zwitter said:
Stock has been pretty solid other than a few weeks.

SimoB said:
The surface of my brew bucket, on the inside varies. smooth to slightly rough... like there is a calcium build up or something - but I can't seem to scrub it off.

Doesn't sound right. And you shouldn't need to scrub your bucket at all. A soft cloth and hot water always gets my bucket nice and shiny - I do treat it to a hot water and PBW soak afterwards, for good measure, before a thorough rinse and no-rinse sanitise.

What is your cleaning regime, and where are the rough parts?

Hi
Yeah, in January up until mid February there was not a chronical 7 in the county on the shelves. I rang around as had christmas money burning a hole in my pocket.

Wife spent some of it for me....

I may go take a look on weekend if I can get out.

Still concerned with the ball valves etc compared to butterfly. That is where you guys can comment.

Currently I use the plastic fermenters and get satisfactory results but I do like shiney

James

I've got the 60L chronical and it's great.

That said I've passivated it when it arrived and after every brew with I hit it with some PWB and let it sit over night.
Despite this I still have to get in there with some green scotch bright to get the krausen off form time to time.

I suspect this is due to the cheaper stainless used and then the continued use with the scotch bright but I've got no concerns considering the price and design.

Have seriously never had to use more than a quick wipe with a soft cloth and hot water to get krausen marks off.

Mind you, I always clean immediately after decanting the beer.

I checked last night, and I can scrape whatever it is off with my finger nail. It looks white on the vessel, but grey black on my fingernail..

I never did a decent clean with TSP, I just used soapy water. So I might try that....

SimoB said:
I checked last night, and I can scrape whatever it is off with my finger nail. It looks white on the vessel, but grey black on my fingernail..

I never did a decent clean with TSP, I just used soapy water. So I might try that....
My first clean was sodium percarbonate wipe and soak with hot water. Followed by a thorough rinse in hot water.
And then a soak in strong Star San - and then air dry (passivation), as per the manufacturers recommendations.

Ever since then, it's been a breeze to clean.

SimoB said:

It could be a calcium build up like you get on kettles etc? I would try a mild acid solution try to clean using that CLR or a bit of citric acid or white vinegar diluted? Starsan Phosophoric acid can work.

If it's beerstone then an acidic clean before a PBW (alkaline) clean should do the trick.

Thanks guys - I'm going to re-do the first use instructions and see how it comes up.

What the rough part looks like... Hard to tell from photo

Edit: lines going vertical are marks from my sponge, not scratches

1425597534712.jpg

Looks to me to be either a build of calcium or cleaning solution that hasn't been cleaned off completely .
Maybe another good soak over night with the recommended solution or as Kodos said try some other cleaners that are suited .

Fat ******* said:
Well, yes this is the theory espoused by traditional Newronian Physics. And a theory I whole heartlessly endorse, whether transferring under pressure or by gravity.

I think I'm gonna send an email to Brewtech about it. Dunno if I've got a dud or it's a problem they know about or it's only me. I reckon a vessel should be able to easily handle it's rated pressure, and be capable of handling at least three times that before it fails in a safe manner, and probably ten times the rated pressure before it fails catastrophically.
I had similar issues, fixed them by using the seal the other way round so that the thick solid part is showing and seems to leak less.

The other big difference was assembling a tri-clover fitting with a gas post to fit to the lid and pressurising using this, now I can reach 4-5 psi.

Latest posts

Back