Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ ^ I think that the picture is supposed to show the hose from the FV into the sanitized jar below the water line.

That way the pressure of the cooling phase would cause air to be drawn in from the hose that goes from the jar into the air.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
How do you sanitize the initial volume of air though above the sanitizer?
The same way you sanitise the air in the headspace of yoour fermenter at the start of fermentation.

Yeah ermmmm, exactly! Haha. I suppose the initial purge of CO2 Would push it out the opposite way anyway, nice idea!

filmed the airlock the other day after years of gladwrap on the FV. B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oMqkilH2iY

Has anyone used these as a bottling bucket for bulk priming? I am thinking that with a small bit of hose, the pickup tube could get pretty much every drop of beer (unlike a plastic FV which leaves a fair bit even if you tilt it).

What I am a little concerned about is whether the conical bottom might stop proper dispersal of the dextrose syrup as I pour the beer on top - in a plastic fermenter it's spread quite evenly and it's quite easy to get a whirlpool going. I don't want to end up with flat beers and bottle bombs...

When bulk priming I fill from the tap on my plastic fermentors and have never had problems with uneven carbonation. Could that be done on the brewbucket as well?

I was wondering how to attache the little bottler with the blue tip to the SS brewbucket??

has anyone bottled from the SS BB ?

10mm id silicone hose pushed right over the entire barb then onto bottle wand. Haven't bottled from a BB but can't see why it wouldn't work.

Camo6 said:
10mm id silicone hose pushed right over the entire barb then onto bottle wand. Haven't bottled from a BB but can't see why it wouldn't work.
Sure, I know it will be fine on the way out, my interest is whether the internal geometry might not mix the bulk prime solution as well...I guess I'll see today...

Mr. No-Tip said:
Sure, I know it will be fine on the way out, my interest is whether the internal geometry might not mix the bulk prime solution as well...I guess I'll see today...
I reckon if you can fill via the tap with the little hose extension you mentioned it would mix fine. Or even a hose right down into the point of the cone.

TBH I reckon it would mix better because your fresh liquid in would always be entering through the syrup in the bottom.

Mr. No-Tip said:

That wasn't the post you're looking for. (Waves hand in Jedi fashion) You can go about your business. Move along, move along.

(Was replying to prattys post below yours!)

Well I think I my have been one of lucky ones to get one of the first half barrels. Only just managed to source a upright freezer to fit the thing.

Not to mention my 36hr battle with the defrost timer, heater sensor and various other modifications need to hold this bad boy.

So my first "fermented in stainless" beer is slowly getting to pitching temp and I figured it was well past time to photograph this achievement, before I smash this freezer with a hammer if it fails to hold temperature one more time :angry2:

IMAG1280.jpg

Parks said:
I reckon if you can fill via the tap with the little hose extension you mentioned it would mix fine. Or even a hose right down into the point of the cone.

TBH I reckon it would mix better because your fresh liquid in would always be entering through the syrup in the bottom.
I used it for two batches today. It did appear to whirlpool pretty strongly for the whole fill with the tube at horizontal. I did have a small problem with leaking around the tap, but I think I was being a bit haphazard about my turns.

I'll let ya'll know how they carbonate.

Camo6 said:
That wasn't the post you're looking for. (Waves hand in Jedi fashion) You can go about your business. Move along, move along.

(Was replying to prattys post below yours!)
I see said the blind internet man. All good/grain!

So, I'm still having trouble with pressure transfers from my 7 gal conical. I've bent the clamp wires as far as I'm game to, and it still won't hold anywhere near 5 PSI. I reckon the problem is a combination if the thin lid distorting and the seal being too hard to compensate for it.

It did hold enough to transfer, but was leaking bulk CO2.

Anyone got a solution to this yet? I might see if I can cut a shim for the lif"d and see if that helps, but even if it does work, it's an inelegant solution.

Fat ******* said:
So, I'm still having trouble with pressure transfers from my 7 gal conical. I've bent the clamp wires as far as I'm game to, and it still won't hold anywhere near 5 PSI. I reckon the problem is a combination if the thin lid distorting and the seal being too hard to compensate for it.

It did hold enough to transfer, but was leaking bulk CO2.

Anyone got a solution to this yet? I might see if I can cut a shim for the lif"d and see if that helps, but even if it does work, it's an inelegant solution.
FB - I had this exact problem. It would transfer, but leak as well. I can however transfer successfully, through a filter, if the receiving keg is vented to atmosphere the whole time. The kegs obviously have far stronger seals than the conical, so the conical leaks first. So, I just clean a keg, flush it and use the relief on that keg as the tool to start the transfer (just as the conical leaks - although I know at what point that is now, so it doesn't happen anymore) and just leave it open the whole time.

Cheers mckenry!
That's pretty much the procedure I've been using. Everything happens as long as I have the keg PRV open, although I have yet to try filtering.

I suppose you could say it works, just the leaks are mighty annoying!

I would think you would need the keg PRV open in order to transfer into it, otherwise you will quickly compress the volume of gas in the keg and provide equal back pressure to your transfer pressure

Well, yes this is the theory espoused by traditional Newronian Physics. And a theory I whole heartlessly endorse, whether transferring under pressure or by gravity.

I think I'm gonna send an email to Brewtech about it. Dunno if I've got a dud or it's a problem they know about or it's only me. I reckon a vessel should be able to easily handle it's rated pressure, and be capable of handling at least three times that before it fails in a safe manner, and probably ten times the rated pressure before it fails catastrophically.

And in other conical fermenter discussion: how is everyone handling dry hopping? I've noticed a drop in efficacy of the dry hop charge. My typical process involves dry hopping for 7 days @ below 4 degrees. I've had a noticeable drop in aroma for a given dry hop charge. I've put this down to the reduced surface area compared to a traditional flat bottomed plastic fermenter. I'm thinking about cold crashing after primary for a week, dumping twice in that period and letting it rise to 7-10 degrees and dry hopping for 7 days before cold crashing for 3 and dumping the hops through the bottom port before an extended period in the fermenter.
Any thoughts on this?

Back