Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update guys - i did an hour soak with sodium pre-carbonate. it's good as new and smooth as. So it was clearly my cleaning which was the issue.

Cheers,

I've got a brewbucket and must have turned the dip tube the wrong way because when I went to take a sample for Gravity all I get is a drip
I've loosened the lid so it's not air flow
Any suggestions would be appreciated

meathead said:
I've got a brewbucket and must have turned the dip tube the wrong way because when I went to take a sample for Gravity all I get is a drip
Open and close the tap a few times. Tap could be blocked.

Other than that. You could try pressurising the bucket to a few psi with CO2. Failing that, clean and sanitise a stainless brew paddle, and get in there, give the elbow a turn.

Anyone have trouble maintaining cold crash temps with there brewbucket?
Maybe it's my fridge thats the problem but it struggles to get down low and when it does it's constantly fluctuating.
I was thinking that since steel is a better conductor of temp is the reason it may change so constantly. Anyone used like a neoprene jacket to help keep temps in?

Milk-lizard84 said:
Anyone have trouble maintaining cold crash temps with there brewbucket?
Maybe it's my fridge thats the problem but it struggles to get down low and when it does it's constantly fluctuating.
I was thinking that since steel is a better conductor of temp is the reason it may change so constantly. Anyone used like a neoprene jacket to help keep temps in?
I have a 17 gal conical. No probs holding temp. I do have a larger volume though.
I think its your fridge.
Test it without you brewbucket in there. Get a cheap temperature data logger.

meathead said:
I've got an ipa with 200gms of ahtanum in one atm that's getting blocked. I've given a gentle blast of co2 through the tap to free it but it's become blocked again. I just butted the gas line up to the outlet (just be quick to close the tap afterwards!). I'm hoping another squirt a few days into the cold crash will keep me out of trouble.

Camo6 said:
I've got an ipa with 200gms of ahtanum in one atm that's getting blocked. I've given a gentle blast of co2 through the tap to free it but it's become blocked again. I just butted the gas line up to the outlet (just be quick to close the tap afterwards!). I'm hoping another squirt a few days into the cold crash will keep me out of trouble.
To avoid this happening to my recent IPA I turned the dip tube sideways why I dry-hopped, and only turned it upwards to take samples.

I've also replaced the hosetail on the tap with a 5/8" John guest fitting, so I could connect my CO2 line directly to the tap. Meant I could bubble co2 through the tap to purge oxygen after adding dry hops.

I've fitted a bulkhead into the lid so I could pressurise, but despite it sealing nicely during a test it hasn't sealed properly during fermentation. Not worried though.

Imagining you could also blow C02 through the tap to blow out anything which is blocking the dip tube too. Would probably want a checkvalve between the tap and your reg tho!

Kodos said:
To avoid this happening to my recent IPA I turned the dip tube sideways why I dry-hopped, and only turned it upwards to take samples.

I've also replaced the hosetail on the tap with a 5/8" John guest fitting, so I could connect my CO2 line directly to the tap. Meant I could bubble co2 through the tap to purge oxygen after adding dry hops.

I've fitted a bulkhead into the lid so I could pressurise, but despite it sealing nicely during a test it hasn't sealed properly during fermentation. Not worried though.
Nice ideas. I had been leaving the dip tube sideways until final transfer as per Brewtech instructions ( I think everyone has their own opinion on what's 'finger-tight') but was getting intermittent leaking from the tap o rings. Once those leaks start it's hard to stop them and I hate wasting beer. So I've gotten lazy and just leave the diptube pointing down.
But, like the fly by the seat of my pants guy I am, I brewed an all cube hopped IPA in a 17l cube with around 150gms of Ahtanum. Instead of straining into the bucket I just threw it all in, then dry hopped another 50gm. Add a couple of inches of compacted Greenbelt and I was pushing shit uphill trying to get anything out of that tap. I just spent the last hour siphoning the brewbucket and probably wasted a few litres (not completely wasted, I didn't tip it out :drinks: ) and used some pretty average sanitation in the process. That IPA, as much as I want to let it age a few weeks, will need to be consumed quickly.

I'll chalk this one up to experience!

mckenry said:
I have a 17 gal conical. No probs holding temp. I do have a larger volume though.
I think its your fridge.
Test it without you brewbucket in there. Get a cheap temperature data logger.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty sure its the fridge now. Had it set to 6 degrees today before I left for work. It was at 12 this morning and was struggling to get to 9.5 degrees.

I keep my elbow sideways too. I'd rather an easy extraction and less gunk than compromising for another 500ml-1L (which is usually rubbish anyway).

So after I passivated my bucket it has become spotty and streaky one the outside.
I know it's only a visual thing but just wondering if I used a bit of bar keepers friend on it would it damage the exterior of the bucket at all?

A pic may help

1427117777296.jpg

Not sure about bar keepers, but PBW should shine it up - can it fit in your kettle?

I got streaks as well. Was not interested in trying to submerge my 17 gal in star san solution to get a streak free look.

I don't care to me it's an instument for beer production not a show piece :D

elcarter said:
I don't care to me it's an instument for beer production not a show piece :D
Whaaaaaaaaaa....!

Must admit the outside of mine only get a quick clean. Inside is so easy to clean though.

I didn't realise my dip tube was pointing downward & started filling my keg, got more than a few litres in before I figured it out & now have a keg full of very yeasty beer :(

Latest posts

Back