Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Yes they have thread not Tri-clover or sanitary fittings.

I know ball valves have been discussed as having "dead" zones in them qand wondering if anyone has tried any butterfly style valves from the China suppliers?
This is mentioned on the SS brewtech site.

Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zwitter said:
I know ball valves have been discussed as having "dead" zones in them qand wondering if anyone has tried any butterfly style valves from the China suppliers?
These links show most of the gear that I have added, see also comments below those posts for clarification.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81167-brewtech-ss-fermenting-vessels-discussion-thread/page-11#entry1217901

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81167-brewtech-ss-fermenting-vessels-discussion-thread/page-12#entry1218487

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81167-brewtech-ss-fermenting-vessels-discussion-thread/page-18#entry1242678

EDIT: all from ebay and aliexpress.

zwitter said:
Hi
Yes they have thread not Tri-clover or sanitary fittings.

This is mentioned on the SS brewtech site.

Zwitter

I got some from brewershardware got a 2" from another and the quality is similar the cheaper one did come with silicon seat though.
One on the left is the eBay type. I still buy the brewershardware so all my 1"1/2 are the same valve.
IMG_20150514_194820.jpg

Parks said:
I reckon he means the ball valve only has triclover on one side, the other side is threaded.
Got you. The other side is beer out. Not so much an issue.

It defeats the point of sanitary though if you have threads to deal with.

Dam you Booargy!
brewershardware just had me for $300 plus shipping..... :D
Lots more shiney on its way...
I think that may be a new place to spend my hard earned. You should be on commission. Thanks

I dabble in the art of TIG welding and tempted to put a second sanitary fitting in the lid. but it is so thin. might have to do lots more practice first.

james

In regards to the leaking tap O ring issues I've had, I think I've found a solution. I bought a whole heap of silicone O rings somewhat thicker than the original 16mm ID x 1.8mm CSand of a softer composite. They're a tad too thick to replace the inside O ring without bulging but they squeeze up nice and tight in lieu of the outer O ring. I filled the bucket with water and tested and was able to rotate the tap freely in both directions multiple times without leaks.

I then really put it to the test last weekend by fermenting 19l of a wheat beer with 3068. Pushing the limits, I know, but figured a blow off tube should cover it...
Came home to find the blow off had stuck and yeast had spewed past the lid seal and filled the fridge with the smell of banana and cloves! But the tap seals held true!

I ordered another set of O rings in a size that fall between the two to see if they'll be a suitable replacement for the inner one but they may not be necessary now.

20150516_144655 (1280x720).jpg

Recently got a Brew Bucket and wasn't happy with the way the ball valve assembly sealed, "o" rings don't
seal properly on chamfered faces and a curved surface, too many are having leak problems so I rolled up at
the Tool Room where I worked before I retired.
We have all seen the nuts that are used on weld less fittings have a recess machined on one face of the nut, took me 5 minutes to set up and fix the nuts supplied with the B.B., now a totally proper feel when you
tighten the nut and only with your fingers and the "o" ring don't try to slip out from under the nut,
hope this helps, Cheers, Ken.

Recently added a Thermowell to the Brewbucket, its having its maiden run currently after brewing a red ale yesterday.

WP_20150805_003.jpg WP_20150805_004.jpg WP_20150805_005.jpg

That's next on my list of things to do. Where'd you get that one from?

Florian said:
Aliexpress.Also got a sanitary sample valve in the mail yesterday. Easy to pull apart for cleaning and great for sampling and transferring to keg.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140904_124954.jpgAlso picked up my new fridge. Not quite sure yet what to do about the 'decorations', but so far I've cleaned off those JB stickers from the door and gave the inside floor a good spray paint to hide the rust.Turned it on to day and noticed that it is bloody loud! No way that fridge could live inside the house. Also can't find a way to turn the light off. Do these things usually come with an on/off switch? You would think in a shop setup you would be able to turn the lights off at night?
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140904_122159.jpg
Hey Florian, does the racking elbow fit into the sanitary valve? That looks like a much better option than pulling apart ball valves!

Hey boozed
Check the SS Brewtech USA website for "sanitary racking adaptor" i just received mine through newera and it will get a run when my current belgian dubbel is done in the chronical7. Basically it is a lump of stainless with sanitary fittings both sides and a centre sized to take the racking arm. I was thinking of making a similar item when I saw this on USA site and ordered one.

Will let you know how it goes.

I love the chronical, so easy to clean. I have never used the ball valves. I bought butterfly valves from USA and stacks of other sanitary fittings from USA and China on ebay. It sits in a glass door fridge controlled by home made brewpi for perfect temperature control of fermentation. Next thing is to use a window on the sanitary connection on the lid with a T piece and have a camera so can see the yeast doing its thing...

James

Thanks zwitter, I will do just that. Sounds like you have one pimped out system! Look forward to the photos.

Fat ******* said:
Well, yes this is the theory espoused by traditional Newronian Physics. And a theory I whole heartlessly endorse, whether transferring under pressure or by gravity.

I think I'm gonna send an email to Brewtech about it. Dunno if I've got a dud or it's a problem they know about or it's only me. I reckon a vessel should be able to easily handle it's rated pressure, and be capable of handling at least three times that before it fails in a safe manner, and probably ten times the rated pressure before it fails catastrophically.
FB did you get a reply from Brewtech? Mine started leaking at exactly 4.2psi when attempting to ferment under light pressure. I could only put it down to the latches deforming or stretching and not providing equal tension around the lid.

No, still haven't sent it! I've been slowly bending the wire latches in and seeing how it goes. I'd be happy if mine held 4.2 though, last transfer I did under pressure it leaks at 2psi! It was still enough to get it flowing and complete the transfer.

Perhaps a drum locking ring would work better than a latch system...... hmmm I wonder.....

photo(44).jpg

A couple of photos of the chronical7 in the brewpi fermenter
Belgium Dubbel due to keg on Saturday
James

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1439425590.440171.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1439425920.080962.jpg

Latest posts

Back