Archive Ipa Competition Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,

Just so everyone is clear on this:

1. All four Babbs IPA's will be on tap in the Archive next door bar as of next week. (Open Tuesday night - Sunday)

2. After next week we will tally all the votes and declare a winner.

3. There is no new bar, Archive Next door bar has been there four a year now.

If anyone ever needs any information on whats going on at Archive, don't hesitate to email me [email protected], and if any of you guys ever come in, make yourself known to the bar staff, ask them to get Dan, and I will endeavor to come and have a beer with you; I would love to put some faces to names.

Cheers guys.

G'Day Dan,

I'm Greg.
Thanks for the hops......your Black IPA was fuckin awesome.
Talk soon

Well I can't make the 7th, but I am going in this arvo to try Liam's beer, which will mean I've tried all 4 IPAs. Liam, it's gonna have to be good to top Florian's version ;)

Dan, thanks from me also for the hops. Looking forward to brewing with them in the next week or 2. I'll bring you in a sample when it's done.

Cheers - Snow.

Dave Clarke & myself are heading up next Wednesday.

Starting at 5.30pm sharp at Kerbside Lounge Bar. Constance Street (Ann Street End), Fortitude Valley for Hump Day Brewdog tasting.
Then with Matt Kirkegaard in tow we'll be heading to the End Bar (73 Vulture Street) where they'll be some Bacchus Beers on tap, & then on to Archive Bar to do a side by side on the IPA's.

If you fancy joining us, you can book the Hump Day tasting through the link above.

Cheers Ross

Heading over now to try it.
Let's see if it is my second favourite or not ;)

enjoyed the Ryeld Chiald yesterday afternoon. Such an interesting and delicious beer, there is a lot going on. I introduced a few of the lads to IPAs with it, response was
"gee that was an experience, what was it called? I'll have another"

also, the Mrs got me a new camera so I bandied about all day taking photos of beers at the Brewhouse, The End, and Archive. yiew!

ryeld_chiald.jpg

Archive have announced the winner and it is the excellent Blackbeard's Delight

Congratulations argon, a top notch beer!

Well done Michael!

Wow, well done argon! :super:
And of course to everyone who participated, many thanks indeed! :beerbang:

Well done Michael, it was a worthy winner :icon_drool2:

Cheers Ross

Congrats michael.

Does this mean that archive do a repeat batch? Or does it get a semi-permanent place in the tap line up (such as permanent gets at archive - they change so frequently! - gotta love it)?

Now that it's a commercial beer, does this mean argon can no longer enter lest he upsets the brewing fraternity :p

Seriously - did you dry hop and if so, what with?

Well done again,

Goomba

Wow! Cheers all... never expected it to get up. Testament to Ross and Bill's brewing really. (and my ability to ballot stuff :ph34r: )

@LRG... Not sure what happens now. Expect nothing, anything's a bonus. Recipe is in my sig... biggest dry hop i've ever done. May have to withdraw my entry from AABC then.

@BribieG... unfortunately not mate. Your edging slightly toward 3V doom anyway. It was La Methode Argonoise though... actually the subject in the guide IIRC

Might have to try and get in there Friday night for a 4 way tasting session then.

'twas a joke, to be surrrrre, Blackbeard.

Besides, Ross and Bill brewed it, so the recipe is still an amateur recipe prepared on professional equipment by professional brewers.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the national comp.

Goomba

'twas a joke, to be surrrrre, Blackbeard.

Besides, Ross and Bill brewed it, so the recipe is still an amateur recipe prepared on professional equipment by professional brewers.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the national comp.

Goomba
Well of course it was the beer mad at home by me. However the beer i entered in QABC and AABC was not given the La Methode Argonoise treatment and got an extra whack of Amarillo.

Well of course it was the beer mad at home by me. However the beer i entered in QABC and AABC was not given the La Methode Argonoise treatment and got an extra whack of Amarillo.

That's the thing I always find interesting about the amateur vs professional debate.

As amateurs, we are more likely to push the hopping schedules further, simply because we don't have an accountant peering over our shoulder. I am an accountant and I know if I brewed professionally, my pro beers wouldn't be near as good as my amateur beers, simply because a 10 min APA or a massive dry hop (like yours), simply isn't commercially viable.

I was going to put 50g in my (currently cold conditioning) APA, I might have to increase it now.

Goomba

Congratulations Michael, well done!

Have only tried your beer as the bottled version, at least I will now have the chance to try it on tap once I'm back.

You must be stoked, man, very nice!

Well done Michael. Just had a look at your recipe, interesting hop combo there, I hope i get to try it.

cheers

Browndog

Michael, congratulations great beer and one I'd love to see on tap permanently!

Did anyone get told they couldn't vote last week, a couple of my mates went in on Sat and they were told there was no voting cards remaining. So they weren't able to vote, also I'm disappointed they didn't continue the voting into this week, where a true side by side comparison could have been made. But if they have run out of cards maybe this is why they've cut it short.

Anyway this does not detract from Michael's success. I'm looking forward to getting down there this week and sampling the range for myself.

Cheers,

Liam

Michael, congratulations great beer and one I'd love to see on tap permanently!

Did anyone get told they couldn't vote last week, a couple of my mates went in on Sat and they were told there was no voting cards remaining. So they weren't able to vote, also I'm disappointed they didn't continue the voting into this week, where a true side by side comparison could have been made. But if they have run out of cards maybe this is why they've cut it short.

Anyway this does not detract from Michael's success. I'm looking forward to getting down there this week and sampling the range for myself.

Cheers,

Liam
I hadn't put in my card cause I hadn't tried Liam's effort :( .
I had Argon's beer on top provisionally anyway - good beer, I've been told to brew something similar because the wife liked it a lot (quite high praise compaired to the usual "tastes like beer").

Back