• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top tip - Get an empty box off the shelves to throw your purchases into...bagging your stuff is too slow. Aldi checkout peeps are fast and don't wait for you to carefully arrange your shopping 'just so'.

I'm always amused when people trash Aldi's brands as being no-name and inferior, without knowing where they came from. I work at a large flour mill. We supply a wide range of flour, premixes, baking products etc from the largest baking chains in the country, to local family owned bakeries. We also supply Aldi's with there White Mill brand flour, as well as the big two with a range of brands names as well as there 'house' brands. I'll give you the tip, the flour that goes to Aldi's is milled on the same mill, put into the same bin, and packed on the same packing line as the other brands. If that's the case for one product, how many others are manufactured by the same companies that make the 'brand' names, just put into a different wrapper?

Another example of how the packaging can blur ones taste buds. A lady I worked with gave Aldi a try and bought, among other things, a bottle of tomato sauce. Her husband, saw the sauce on the table and complained it wasn't Fountain, as that's the only decent sauce. He begrudgingly tried some, said it was shit and refused to use it again. His wife took an old Fountain bottle, emptied the Aldi bottle into it and put it back in the cupboard. Next time sauce was required her husband gladly grabbed the 'Fountain' sauce, lapped it up and told his wife that Fountain was easily the best so don't bother buying that Aldi shit again. To this day she buys Aldi and tips it into a Fountain bottle.

mosto said:
I'm always amused when people trash Aldi's brands as being no-name and inferior, without knowing where they came from. I work at a large flour mill. We supply a wide range of flour, premixes, baking products etc from the largest baking chains in the country, to local family owned bakeries. We also supply Aldi's with there White Mill brand flour, as well as the big two with a range of brands names as well as there 'house' brands. I'll give you the tip, the flour that goes to Aldi's is milled on the same mill, put into the same bin, and packed on the same packing line as the other brands. If that's the case for one product, how many others are manufactured by the same companies that make the 'brand' names, just put into a different wrapper?

Another example of how the packaging can blur ones taste buds. A lady I worked with gave Aldi a try and bought, among other things, a bottle of tomato sauce. Her husband, saw the sauce on the table and complained it wasn't Fountain, as that's the only decent sauce. He begrudgingly tried some, said it was shit and refused to use it again. His wife took an old Fountain bottle, emptied the Aldi bottle into it and put it back in the cupboard. Next time sauce was required her husband gladly grabbed the 'Fountain' sauce, lapped it up and told his wife that Fountain was easily the best so don't bother buying that Aldi shit again. To this day she buys Aldi and tips it into a Fountain bottle.
I work in a food processing plant, and I'll give you a tip... the EXACT same foods that go into company branded bags and boxes make it into ALDI branded bags and boxes. Not a single difference.

I actually wonder if Aldi has more success getting name brands to make their no-name brands, as the aldi no-name brands are not directly competing with the brand names on the same shelf.

Just a variation on price discrimination or price differentiation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

Good point, for example Aldi "Corale" baked beans are made by SPC, so SPC possibly sell more baked beans through Aldi than through Colesworths. If you go into Aldi for baked beans you come out with a can of SPC relabelled, if you go into Colesworths you are likely to come out with Heinz.

I once came across an entire box of Aldi apple sauce where they had accidentally put SPC lids on the jars, snuck through :p

Bulla blue ribbon ice cream = Coles brand too, seen with my own eyes. Although you can tell as the containers are identical.

Are you serious? Blue ribbon is the tits, I'm gonna have to do a side by side

Why do coles etc have the meat section at the beginning (after the bread and veggies I guess).

Maybe its meal planning, peeps grab their meat and then work out what to have with it.

But they have to get the veg first, which may be to satisfy the vegos who can bypass the meat section if the sidle past looking away from the carnage.

And milk is soon after, though if you follow the outside you will find all the dairy.

Then you may make a foray into the centre for all the other stuff.

I would really prefer to get my meat last, but I compensate by being a quick shopper so it doesnt get all warm.

And pack the cold with the cold using the conveyor load order as a proxy.

There must be a reason for the layout, I just dont really get it.

There is great planning that goes into supermarket layout, lots of shrinks who think they know how we shop. I don't like supermarkets so I'm in and out as quick as I can, grab only what I need, and usually I have trouble finding it.

Now Aldi's....my wife does the shopping and I cruise the center special tables, yes that's what they want and it works on me. Often find a bargain that I don't need. Funny as I notice most men doing the same thing. ;)

Batz

Bribie G said:
Aldi 101 for Adelaidians and other denizens of the Blessed Realm.

If you are interested in brewing related equipment and ingredients, they will be in the centre aisles. Here's how an Aldi store is laid out: store layout is basically identical although some stores are "mirrored" left to right if you know what I mean. Ed: there's a common misconception (created by people who have only been there once and fled in terror) that the place is chaos with shit everywhere. Not so, the layout is actually very logical, smooth to negotiate and far more sensible than Colesworths. What throws many people is the Centre Aisles... forget them till last.

[trimmed]

Happy shopping.
Our local store is completely different layout to this. Meat is on the back wall for a start, and shit is in random places.

All designed for "impulse" buys. **** Aldi.

Veg and bread come first 'cos that's meant to make you think "mmmm, fresh...everything in this supermarket was picked/baked this morning !"
(not part-baked somewhere else from domestic and imported ingredients or picked sometime in the last couple of weeks and kept in cold storage)
If I see Curtis fucken Stone snap another Carrot in an ad, I'm gonna snap !

Heh one time (not at band camp) I went seeking a sourdough, but there were none on the shelves.

I asked the chap at the back , and being the most helpful sort, he went into what was evidently the freezer and brought back a decidedly cold loaf of sourdough.

He advised me to pop it into the oven for 15 mins before serving.

Not sure if that would just make it delicious, or if it was the final cooking stage process aka "the great coles baked fresh bread deception"

Incedently, when the coles near us was built, for some time the produce was decidedly less than fresh.......... but they have the turnover these days so its much better.

mosto said:
Yep

Did a some work in the 3 sugar mills up here ( horrible dirty places I tell you ...sticky molasses everywhere and on every thing. )

They pack refined sugar at Harwood and its all exactly the same be it Aldi or Greens Premium Sugar....

CmdrRyekr said:
Our local store is completely different layout to this. Meat is on the back wall for a start, and shit is in random places.

All designed for "impulse" buys. **** Aldi.
Don't be so naive. By your reasoning you should hate Coles/Woolies/IGA/every decently sized supermarket in Australia. They are all designed for impulse buying, as it is good business for them. Coles and Woolies spend thousands (probably even tens to hundreds of, actually) of dollars researching store layouts to maximise impulse buying. They even officially call all of the stock that is next to the registers "impulse stock" (within their official documents).

The only time that I ever felt the need to shout expletives at a Supermarket was when they had a Status Quo jingle on constant rotation. For me it is simply a matter of feeding a household as cheaply as possible so that I can spend whatever I have left on grain and hops and other things that really matter in life.

LAGERFRENZY said:
For Me it is simply a matter of feeding a household as cheaply as possible so that I can spend whatever I have left on grain and hops and other things that really matter in life.
Shouldn't that be the other way round? "Whatever I have left on food........."

Cheers

At least most of the impulse shit at Aldi is out of my kids reach. Compare that with Woolies/Coles. Eye level chocolate everywhere!

goatchop41 said:
Coles and Woolies spend thousands (probably even tens to hundreds of, actually) of dollars researching store layouts to maximise impulse buying. They even officially call all of the stock that is next to the registers "impulse stock" (within their official documents).
I was talking to an area manager for woolies about stuff like this not long ago, that figure is much more likely to be in the hundreds of thousands...

goatchop41 said:
Don't be so naive. By your reasoning you should hate Coles/Woolies/IGA/every decently sized supermarket in Australia. They are all designed for impulse buying, as it is good business for them. Coles and Woolies spend thousands (probably even tens to hundreds of, actually) of dollars researching store layouts to maximise impulse buying. They even officially call all of the stock that is next to the registers "impulse stock" (within their official documents).
Don't get me wrong, I hate them too :) But this thread is about the cut price german shitworks called Aldi.

I just hate cut price crap that is designed for planned obsolescence, I hate the cut price cheap and nasty flavourless food (and I actually had some for breakfast this morning, unfortunately, thanks to the Mrs and the kids who just ******* had to have their chocolate Aldi beans!). I choose to buy better quality shit when I buy shit.

I'm pretty good at avoiding impulse buys in the shopping centres. Unless it's beer, which isn't in ColesWorth here in Radelaide, so there's that..

Back