• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have the 40 pack bags at 22x30cm wide or the 2 x 5m rolls at 28cm wide according to the newsletter

LiquidGold said:
They have the 40 pack bags at 22x30cm wide or the 2 x 5m rolls at 28cm wide according to the newsletter
Cheers, I have bought the rolls before but the bags sound good.

The Aldi special this week (for Adelaidians anyway) must be opening of the first store in South Australia.

New look store layout too.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/adelaide-shoppers-embrace-aldi-as-the-retailer-opens-its-first-south-australian-stores/news-story/6193d67475b4449f3a70ca0fe58d4743

Re. the sale of alcohol :

"Still up for debate is whether Aldi will be able to sell booze at its South Australian stores, with a liquor licensing review scheduled to report to the state government by the end of June."

Long suffering ALDI-less Adelaideians rejoice, ALDI has arrived and it has all of the treasures we have been promised.

Bought myself a vacuum sealer and some spare bag roll from the Woodcroft store. Sealer $70, 2x5m rolls $15.

IMAG1074.jpg

IMAG1077.jpg

They also have the Dollys mentioned above, round and rectangular for $15.

IMAG1071.jpg

IMAG1072.jpg

Those vac sealers been put to the test yet? My eurolab heat wire strip is shitting me and I'm having trouble confirming if available parts would suit it. So thinking of just buying anther vac sealer. Would prefer to pay a bit more for quality. Thoughts?

jeremy said:
Long suffering ALDI-less Adelaideians rejoice, ALDI has arrived and it has all of the treasures we have been promised.
Worst ******* store on the planet. No-name branded shit, crap everywhere. A complete wank. To think ***** were lined up to buy their flavourless chocolates.

Haha, not keen on aldi there buddy? I am a huge fan. They are my every day grocery now, no more Coles or woolies for me, been waiting for this day for ages!

Oh and I can't really speak for the vac sealer yet, it has a good quality look and feel to it, and it has done a good job for the 2 meager jobs I have done with it so far. Time will tell.

CmdrRyekr said:
Worst ******* store on the planet. No-name branded shit, crap everywhere. A complete wank. To think c*nts were lined up to buy their flavourless chocolates.
That's a bit of a broad statement don't ya think? It is a self-serve store and some of the stuff has a bit to be desired, but all in all, it's a fairly good place for a bargain.
I've gotten some really good "no name" gear outta there, but I'm not a brand whore so I guess the shoe fits.

Nothing wrong with the Aldi stuff that I've been buying for the last couple of years - mind you I'm pretty much Trailer Park poor and don't have the refined tastes of a Rear Admiral...

CmdrRyekr said:
Worst ******* store on the planet. No-name branded shit, crap everywhere. A complete wank. To think c*nts were lined up to buy their flavourless chocolates.

As opposed to the ever increasing percentage of house name item lines on the shelves at bullies and voles.

It takes a while for most people to "get" Aldi.Usually men.
When the Bribie Island store was being built a guy in the street behind flew an enormous Aussie flag at the rear fence.
Three months later his Mrs was working there.

As for house brands they source as much as possible from Aussie mid tier companies.
For example I just pinned out my washing using all Aussie products as opposed to stuff like Omo (USA) or Duo (Vietnam)
And about to froach some Aussie eggs, olive oil and lemon. All Aldi.

Have an Aldilicious day.

Aldi 101 for Adelaidians and other denizens of the Blessed Realm.

If you are interested in brewing related equipment and ingredients, they will be in the centre aisles. Here's how an Aldi store is laid out: store layout is basically identical although some stores are "mirrored" left to right if you know what I mean. Ed: there's a common misconception (created by people who have only been there once and fled in terror) that the place is chaos with shit everywhere. Not so, the layout is actually very logical, smooth to negotiate and far more sensible than Colesworths. What throws many people is the Centre Aisles... forget them till last.

On entry you will see the tea, coffee etc first. Nearby will be a display of remaindered items such as Pickled herring, Easter eggs after Easter, odd teas and sauces and other run-outs.
Then you work around the outside aisles:

First outside aisle: breakfast cereals, biscuits, confectionery, longlife and powdered milks, chips, tinned foods, pasta, rice, sauces, most of your dry groceries including paper towels and bog rolls.
Back wall: Cleaning products, medications, beauty, toothpaste and brushes, cleaning products can spill over into a centre aisle where you will also find nappies and fly spray.
Final outside Aisle: you'll get to the chilled cabinets for meat, chilled veg, smallgoods, etc along the wall with fruit and veg in a free standing display on the other side of the aisle.
Then you get to butter, yog, milk, cream, cheese etc.
Eggs are in that area, and bread is generally along the wall just before you get back to the till area.
Freezers are either "coffin freezers" close to the checkout but I understand a lot of the SA stores will have glass door freezers similar to Colesworth.

Now that's your grocery shop, once you have done it a few times the beauty is that you can go to an Aldi in Newcastle, Bribie Island or Ballarat and know almost precisely where everything is:

Stores will have either two or three centre aisles depending on size.
One centre aisle is pet foods and soft drinks, plus the above mentioned freezers.

The others are where the catalogue specials are. There's a specials list on Wednesday and another on Saturday.

The centre aisles are where the gold is. Generally the new specials are placed at the back of the store opposite the cleaning section: TVs, Fridges etc.
As the month progresses they "migrate" towards the front of the shop.

They don't do "bait and switch" to get you into the store, I've found they are generally well stocked for most specials. For example they will have perhaps 10 televisions, a pallet of fridges etc.
If you really really want an item off the catalogue (online or letterboxed) then simply queue up early.

Once you get the hang of the place it's fast and furious, actually suits a lot of guys who don't enjoy supermarket shopping.

Also get yourself a 99c trolley token to go on key ring or just leave in drinks hole in car, as that's when you'll need it.
Bring your own bags, there is a packing bench, or buy 15c big tough bags that last forever and useful round the house.

Happy shopping.

Also, don't try to go back out through the exit.

Or do just for fun, and just see what happens.

I also bought a vac sealer from Aldi a few days ago. It really feels like a quality thing. Works great and I'm very happy.

I know Aldi stuff isn't perfect, but I farkin love it
My aldi whipper snipper is great, the fuel line and filter it came with degraded after a couple of months so I replaced it with a Ryobi service kit from bunnings and it's ran fine for the last few years
However my mate's Stihl FS38 (that cost hime twice as much as my aldi jobbie) has given him nothing but troubles, head falling apart, plastic housings cracking, carby shitting itself, etc

If the aldi is in a shopping centre grab other brand trolly and use that

Latest posts

Back