AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haysie,

I can see where you're coming from re feedback for your own benefit, but I have to agree with Maple - having everyone sample the same beer, and giving feedback (if they wish) on the same beer, is more valuable to everyone else. For the last few years I've really enjoyed reading and comparing everyone's tasting notes of all the swap beers, good and bad. Certainly a great learning tool being able to contrast my own perceptions with what others comment on.
Also, you have to consider that you might only get half a dozen or so reports back on your own beers, which might not help you a great deal if spread across a couple of beers. Just a thought.
If you want to bring a few beers to get feedback at the swap, you'll get some pretty good feedback that way.

Hutch,
I hear ya but.... I see no difference in me brewing 2 exact beers, knowing as a hobbyist both beers will never be 100% alike and entering them as one brew. My sudden idea of taking 8 bottles out of my next 3 brews was just that, a sudden thought. No doubt you n Maple make a good point re feedback and learning etc, I would argue some of the feedback I have seen doesnt do anyone benefit. Sure, the brewer is rewarded by getting feedback on 2 or more across a random scope of people, I fail to see whats wrong with it, afterall its not a competition.
I`ll leave it at that and not get the thread sidetracked.
Cheers

Onya Ferg, Good to see you on board.

Hutch,
I hear ya but.... I see no difference in me brewing 2 exact beers, knowing as a hobbyist both beers will never be 100% alike and entering them as one brew. My sudden idea of taking 8 bottles out of my next 3 brews was just that, a sudden thought. No doubt you n Maple make a good point re feedback and learning etc, I would argue some of the feedback I have seen doesnt do anyone benefit. Sure, the brewer is rewarded by getting feedback on 2 or more across a random scope of people, I fail to see whats wrong with it, afterall its not a competition.
I`ll leave it at that and not get the thread sidetracked.
Cheers

I'm with you in part - no problem with getting a possibly random selection from someone who's been brewing a while who puts their best foot (or feet) forward. I know that if people fall short in their bottles that it's acceptable to make up the balance with some extras from another batch.

However I can understand wanting to keep it as much as possible to one beer each - the commentary/feedback that does exist makes more sense. Sure if one brewer put 3 different beers it's no drama but if that were the case for every brewer it might get confusing.

However I can understand wanting to keep it as much as possible to one beer each - the commentary/feedback that does exist makes more sense. Sure if one brewer put 3 different beers it's no drama but if that were the case for every brewer it might get confusing.

i dont care as long as i get your best beer haysie! ;)

Well we had to have a discussion about something im just glad its not bottles this time :rolleyes:

Kleiny

Well we had to have a discussion about something im just glad its not bottles this time :rolleyes:

Kleiny

Do you have to supply a crate for your bottles :eek:

looks like im gonna do the Rogue Dead Guy clone from TBN, it will be bottle conditioned for all those that would like to grow up some yeast for there own use.

Im just sweating on a couple of ingredients but im sure it will be fine.

Kleiny

19 weeks to go boys and 3 swap places left.

So, who knows what they are making? Im pretty sure mine is locked in. Im going to brew a 'smaller' version of it and if that stacks up well, the big boy will be brewed. :icon_cheers:

2 seperate batches of bo-pils, 12,13 or whatever number it is bottles will be drawn off each keg via CPBF, the first fresh 4 ltr starter gets pitched on the cube tomorrow, All going well of course! OR i could run 8 bottles of irish red 8 bottles of eipa and 8 bottles of bo :ph34r:

looks like im gonna do the Rogue Dead Guy clone from TBN, it will be bottle conditioned for all those that would like to grow up some yeast for there own use.

Good idea! Glad you are doing it as i was thinking about doing this for the guys who are interested in the PACMAN strain. Now i can continue with my usual filter, keg, carb and bottle fill process.

2 seperate batches of bo-pils, 12,13 or whatever number it is bottles will be drawn off each keg via CPBF, the first fresh 4 ltr starter gets pitched on the cube tomorrow, All going well of course! OR i could run 8 bottles of irish red 8 bottles of eipa and 8 bottles of bo :ph34r:

isnt this just gonna end with everyone throwing whatever leftover bottles they have together to make up 24 miss matched beers personally if that was the case i wouldnt be intrested in participating wouldnt it be better if as usual everybody makes a beer intended for the swap ?
just my 2 cents worth

isnt this just gonna end with everyone throwing whatever leftover bottles they have together to make up 24 miss matched beers personally if that was the case i wouldnt be intrested in participating wouldnt it be better if as usual everybody makes a beer intended for the swap ?
just my 2 cents worth

and that hasnt happened before hey? I`ll remove my name, I brew 19 litre batches with normally about 18 ltrs after initial run off of sediment off the bottom, I`ll never get 24. I suggested something a little different, by no means extreme and unfortunantly that discussion may not have been up to some`s high standards :rolleyes: . Some just cant remove them blinkers.

just my 2 cents worth

S'alright mate, I think the quiet majority of us will be making a full batch, just like we always do.

28 x 750ml bottles is only 21 litres. Accounting for about a litre or so in trub loss, it's still a "normal" sized batch

and that hasnt happened before hey? I`ll remove my name, I brew 19 litre batches with normally about 18 ltrs after initial run off of sediment off the bottom, I`ll never get 24. I suggested something a little different, by no means extreme and unfortunantly that discussion may not have been up to some`s high standards :rolleyes: . Some just cant remove them blinkers.

Haysie, we're happy to have you in the swap mate, and understand that everybody has different setups that don't easily allow for full size batches. My systems set up to do 16 lt batches, just enough to fill a FWK cube.

At last years swap, we had a cardboard box holding one of the swapper's beers break, and a half a dozen bottles smashed. We just did a quick once-around on the day, and replaced the broken bottles with miscellaneous longnecks people had brought to drink on the day. At least a couple of people out there must have been wondering why an APA tasted suspiciously like a dark English Mild :)

So, brew what you can. If you need to do 2 brews, or water it down, or swap some assorted beers in, who cares, and probably nobody will find out. It's all beer, and it's all good.

Cheers.

not intending to be a smartarse but 18 lts sould give you exactly 24 750ml bottles but if you came up slightly short 1 or 2 fillers wouldnt matter but planning on 2 or 3 different brews sounds odd to me mate once again just my opinion if everybody else is happy with your idea go with it

heres an idea fellas, adjust your recipe to say 24L then you'll have enough.

and that hasnt happened before hey? I`ll remove my name, I brew 19 litre batches with normally about 18 ltrs after initial run off of sediment off the bottom, I`ll never get 24.

Dont worry Haysie, i brew 23L but always have mine kegged, force carbed the bottled. If i come up short well tuff titties, you can get leftovers from another keg. Will it be sub standard beer? Definitly not, i dont give out bad beer. Atleast try not to. :p

Either way with 28 swappers, ou will only ever get 24-25 bottles out of a keg and the rest have to suffer with dregs from a fermenter, another beer or filter dregs which are naturally carbed (in my case). To be honest, I think 28 swappers is pushing the limits really, especially when you factor in waste, trub, sediment etc. At 23L its pretty hard to try and ensure everyone gets consistently similiar beer. The 1st swap i brewed to 26L from memory just to try and combat this.

The 2010 AHB Vic Xmas in July Case Swap​
Rules and Regulations:

1. You will supply bottles of your finest hand crafted to be delivered to a designated drop off point.
2. The bottle shall be 750ml tallies. Screw tops, crown seals, and PET's are acceptable. PET's are preferred.
3. Your contribution shall be delivered to the drop off point in milk crates or a sturdy box.
4. The date for the swap will be Saturday the 17th of July
5. Each bottle shall be clearly marked with your AHB name and swap number on the cap.
6. The places have been limited to the first 28 who registered their interest. There is a reserve's list available in the event any participant pulls out of the swap.

not intending to be a smartarse but 18 lts sould give you exactly 24 750ml bottles but if you came up slightly short 1 or 2 fillers wouldnt matter but planning on 2 or 3 different brews sounds odd to me mate once again just my opinion if everybody else is happy with your idea go with it

I understand your POV and everyone elses and agree with continuing the traditions of the swap (with the excpetions of coming up short on a few bottles) however looking at the rules, there are no subclauses to point 1 stating they need to be the same beer.

Judges ruling is final. :icon_cheers: Haysie, enter what you want. End topic.

Now back onto a real brainbuster! Kleiny, do you mind if i bottle in german 500ml glass this swap?!?! :ph34r: :lol:

Now back onto a real brainbuster! Kleiny, do you mind if i bottle in german 500ml glass this swap?!?! :ph34r: :lol:

I shall be supplying mine, in the finest BribieG tradition, in clear plastic 1.25lt Coke bottles. If I only fill them up 3/5 of the way, that's the full 750ml. Nobody will mind, right?

:)

That depends WB, will you be removing the coke label or leaving it on?

Cheers SJ

Back