AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seen Neill is not in either. Where has all the :wub: gone?

My brew/s are down and fermenting.

I'm all for case swaps but it seems the newer brigade have chosen to go back to any vessel for bottling and i am only for PET bottles.
I've had a couple of bottles explode( case swap beers ) and don't want my young fella taking a chard of glass in the head

Rook

Kinda agree with that one rooky, although surely there is somewhere you can store them "out of sight, out of mind"? Probably at this hight you yourself are more likely to cop one in the head! :lol:

If i have enough leftover, i'll bring one along for ya (in PET of course) to take away with you. :icon_cheers:

I've had a couple of bottles explode( case swap beers )

Rook

Oi Oi Kleiny`s post, get it down and give one a chance too correct if it goes wrong, many brews do. I didnt go in the last swap yet the previous couple were rampant with beers that got bottled a week before the swap? WTF. The sea monkies were smiling as you opened the bottle.
If I had a glass bottle explode from a case, I too would be standing off and not happy.

I'm all for case swaps but it seems the newer brigade have chosen to go back to any vessel for bottling and i am only for PET bottles.
I've had a couple of bottles explode( case swap beers ) and don't want my young fella taking a chard of glass in the head

Rook

Personal preference for glass but I'm happy to go with whatever people prefer. I can understand your preference (which makes more sense than mine) although I like to concentrate on not making my bottles have anything in them that might explode in the first place. I haven't had a single bottle explode since I started bulk priming.

Anyway I understand this topic has been discussed to death previously but I'd vote for PET if it means we get to taste some more experienced brewer's beers.

Just on the topic of leaving beers to mature... what styles won't need alot of time? I want to have a go at a few between now and then, I'll obviously try the ones that are done justice with a bit of time in the bottle, but are there a few styles where this is not as important that I may be able to do as it gets closer to the swap?

I was thinking something along the lines of a weizen (dark or light), ~70IBU American IPA, maybe an english brown. Ideas? I'll have to try some of the ones you guys try because I have to like something I'm gonna give out. And thats the reason I want to do a few so that I have a few that I can sort through and pick the best one (in my opinion).

Just on the topic of leaving beers to mature... what styles won't need alot of time? I want to have a go at a few between now and then, I'll obviously try the ones that are done justice with a bit of time in the bottle, but are there a few styles where this is not as important that I may be able to do as it gets closer to the swap?

I was thinking something along the lines of a weizen (dark or light), ~70IBU American IPA, maybe an english brown. Ideas? I'll have to try some of the ones you guys try because I have to like something I'm gonna give out. And thats the reason I want to do a few so that I have a few that I can sort through and pick the best one (in my opinion).

Thats a wide bow Siborg, weizen is and can be a 3 week > 3 year beer. American IPA, if you get it right, go for it, its a beer that can be soo different between palates i.e some love the huge hop kick with the backbone bitterness, then others dont like hop bombs at all. An IPA for me is a very hard beer to nail! English Browns, very easy to make, heaps of yeast strains, heaps of hops. Its a hard beer to stuff up. My 2c

English Browns, very easy to make, heaps of yeast strains, heaps of hops. Its a hard beer to stuff up. My 2c
I guess you would say my proposed swapper is an english brown (although not "to style"). Last one I did was fantastic drinking a week after bottling. The dry hop effect went down rapidly after about 3 weeks, but then stablised at a reasonable level. I personally loved it when the hop aroma was popping, and I know a few other guys will as well which is why I'm going the "brew just before with a backup plan JIC" route.

Thats a wide bow Siborg, weizen is and can be a 3 week > 3 year beer. American IPA, if you get it right, go for it, its a beer that can be soo different between palates i.e some love the huge hop kick with the backbone bitterness, then others dont like hop bombs at all. An IPA for me is a very hard beer to nail! English Browns, very easy to make, heaps of yeast strains, heaps of hops. Its a hard beer to stuff up. My 2c
thanks for the advice. I want to try a weizen anyway, but for the swap I'll see if I can do a decent english brown

Ok..so i am gonna spend the $$ and buy some pets...
Do we still need a 28th ???
I could...if we need...get a 28th brewer...not off here though...from the brew club...fine brewer ...but only if we need someone...
Anyone else also thinking of bringing a keg of something along ? Should i do that ?
Cheers
Ferg

Ferg: bring a keg, bring a keg. (i might still bring a keg if i have to) but bring a keg! :p

Siborg: Mate, brew what pleases you. Most styles (unless dark) are good young, although ive had a 1 week old stout get a 3rd place in one comp and come 17th when it was 6 months old (go figure).

If i had to, i'd go for a lighter style beer (hard to hide faults) but beeter when young. e.g. a blonde ale, cream ale etc. crap do an APA. no one does (good) apa's any more in the swaps, its always IPAs. give that a crack if you have to.

Ferg: bring a keg, bring a keg. (i might still bring a keg if i have to) but bring a keg! :p
Fourstar...only cause its you...and you asked so nicley...and you were a good bloke at Beerfest , will i...lol :)
Do i need the jokey box..and gas ?

Fourstar...only cause its you...and you asked so nicley...and you were a good bloke at Beerfest , will i...lol
Do i need the jokey box..and gas ?

Just a keg, all you need is a keg. :beerbang:

I say won't bring one but i usually cannot help myself. So, probabaly expect a keg of mine at the swap. Heck, i mgiht as well take requests. I know a keg of my Motueka CAP wont go astray. :chug:

Just a keg, should i tell the wooza...never to see me again ?? lol ...and...if i stay...which is most llikely...should i bring some delights for the morning BBQ...on top of the anticipated delights...

Just a keg, should i tell the wooza...never to see me again ?? lol ...and...if i stay...which is most llikely...should i bring some delights for the morning BBQ...on top of the anticipated delights...

leave that idea closer to the date. ;)

I tried a young's special london ale yesterday and was very impressed with how delicious and spicy it was. Up there with some fine tripels in my estimation.

I may have a go at brewing something along these lines. Their website tells me marris otter and crystal malt, hopped with fuggles and goldings and dry hopped with goldings and target. 6.4%

It has enough maltiness and enough dryness so I'm guessing I should try and make it finish between 1012 and 1016 so and OG up in the high 60s. I may try and get hold of some more bottles and culture the yeast (bottle conditioned) but otherwise would anybody have any WY suggestions?

Any tips on IBU would be fantastic and appreciated too.

Just to delineate - there's young's special which is a draught beer and not the one I tried.

boys ive just looked at the wiki & discovered the swap is on the 17th dont we normally have a poll or something to work the date ? anyway im overseas from the 10th till the 20th of july so i wont be attending & due to heavy work commitments (slackness) i dont think i will have to time to brew a swap beer either so i spose il catch up with everyone @ the xmas swap

boys ive just looked at the wiki & discovered the swap is on the 17th dont we normally have a poll or something to work the date ? anyway im overseas from the 10th till the 20th of july so i wont be attending & due to heavy work commitments (slackness) i dont think i will have to time to brew a swap beer either so i spose il catch up with everyone @ the xmas swap

Cant please everybody

Back