AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be able to make it, but won't be swapping this time :(

C'mon mate, your last swap beer wasn't that bad.

Oh wait, yes, it was that bad ;)

You've got plenty of time, get a beer done, and get into the swap.

hey mate you do know the rules of the swap dont you?

first one to create the thread for the next swap automatically becomes head swapper, means you get to play with hundreds of bottles of beer - are you up for the task?

+1 Leigh, get straight back on the horse and get into the swap!

Cheers SJ

first one to create the thread for the next swap automatically becomes head swapper, means you get to play with hundreds of bottles of beer - are you up for the task?

Atleast you get yourself an assistant newb. :icon_chickcheers:

"One for him, one for me. One for him, two for me, hic. One for him, one, ahh stuff it, 6 for me. Glug, glug"

Better get the swapping part over and done with early in the day...

Got bigger fish to fry at the moment. Hence why I didn't put my hand up to host, and why the Xmas case swap brew was the last time I brewed.

Looking back over the entire process I followed, I reckon I got done by the pollen-borne nasties (it's the only explaination I have got). Have sealed up the roof of the shed I brew in and will avoid the September pollen period in the future so should be good.

Can't guarantee I'll get time to brew anything over the next few months, so rather than pike at the last minute, I'll just be an observer. Heck, I've still got most of the Xmas swaps to drink, so I don't think I need another 24 to sit there!

So, who knows what they are making? Im pretty sure mine is locked in. Im going to brew a 'smaller' version of it and if that stacks up well, the big boy will be brewed. :icon_cheers:
I'm not sure what I'm gonna brew. Whatever it is, I want to make sure that it is done to the best of my potential. I'm gonna do that scottish export soon, but I don't think there'll be much left of it after april, when I have mates from scotland coming over for a week (a week's grog supply for a scot is quite large!)

I was thinking of having a crack at the Brewdog Punk IPA clone from the BYO magazine (not the 150IBU one). If not, some of those bicycle clones sound nice. All the extract with grain options sound achievable enough with my equipment.

I was thinking of having a crack at the Brewdog Punk IPA clone from the BYO magazine (not the 150IBU one). If not, some of those bicycle clones sound nice. All the extract with grain options sound achievable enough with my equipment.

Nice place to start. Dont do the Fate Tire Clone, im basing my recipe off that :p

Can I have a pot of butterscotch and caramel thanks.
I was thinking of a Christmas spiced Scottish Heavy/Scotch Ale with a long boil time to enhance caramalization and melanoidin development.
Should I find something different ... and less weird?

I was thinking of a Christmas spiced Scottish Heavy/Scotch Ale with a long boil time to enhance caramalization and melanoidin development.

less weird? sounds great to me!

theres a differance between diacetyl and malt. and a little diacetyl in those types of beers (scottish etc) are acceptable. its when its pale lager and it tastes like butterscotch that its a fault.

christmas and scottish beers rock!

so whats on the spit then? (and in before rook cracks another joke about my missus - warning - she's pretty handy with a big kitchen knife)....

im thinking 7kg lamb, 7kg pig and 7kg of chicken - then do we want it Gyros stye or big slabs of meat?

OR

if someone has a pig connection (surley rook theres a few pigs up your way? ohhhh c wat i did thur?) we buy a whole pig and whack that on? has to be 22kg or under though as thats all my spit motors rated to.....

Nice place to start. Dont do the Fate Tire Clone, im basing my recipe off that :p
Interesting 4*. Never tried this one - will be keen to see how this turns out.
Will you be going down the 1056-route (a la BYO clone recipe), or heading more into Belgian territory?

Interesting 4*. Never tried this one - will be keen to see how this turns out.
Will you be going down the 1056-route (a la BYO clone recipe), or heading more into Belgian territory?

Well they actually do theirs clean with a neutral yeast (assume 1056 or 1272) so i might do mine with PACMAN for something slightly different. (havnt decided the fermentation schedule/profile yet).

Im using the recipe from BYO and notes ive read from the head brewer to use specialties anywhere up to 30% of the grist. I believe the recipe in BYO is only 12-15% of specialties and that only has around 4% crystal. I believe that quite low for an American Amber Ale if you are brewing for the typical BIG crystal toffee/caramel notes.

So ive raised all the malts accordingly to around 7% each of caramalt, biscuit, carapils, around 5% munich and 1%~ of carafa.

As their recipe only called for like .4% carafa i decided to up it get a light but noticable choc/extra nutty profile. I think the only problem with it will still be the colour. From waht i have observed, it seems majority of people when they hear 'amber ale' they think deep copper to brown in appearance when infact amber as a colour is more akin to orange -copper which is where mine will be (and the style guidlines agree, although can be darker). BIIIG toasty, bready, nutty caramel profile is expected.

I'm planning a smaller version of it to test the recipe. I'll probably brew the smaller version of it on sunday.

If the glove fits, it will be bumped to 6.5%~ with the BU:GU ratio adjusted to balance it accordingly.

19 weeks to go boys and 3 swap places left.

So, who knows what they are making? Im pretty sure mine is locked in. Im going to brew a 'smaller' version of it and if that stacks up well, the big boy will be brewed. :icon_cheers:

Still working on my list - there's a Kolsch, Altbier and St Rogues ******* Clone in the fermenter at the moment, so I'll take the outcomes of them and see where we end up...

As their recipe only called for like .4% carafa i decided to up it get a light but noticable choc/extra nutty profile. I think the only problem with it will still be the colour. From waht i have observed, it seems majority of people when they hear 'amber ale' they think deep copper to brown in appearance when infact amber as a colour is more akin to orange -copper which is where mine will be (and the style guidlines agree, although can be darker). BIIIG toasty, bready, nutty caramel profile is expected.

I'm planning a smaller version of it to test the recipe. I'll probably brew the smaller version of it on sunday.
I agree with your take on "amber". 30% spec malts sounds high, though american crystals can be quite light in colour. Either way, malt-bill sounds very caramel/rich.
Do you know if the original is in any way Belgian-inspired, or is that just the brewery's namesake?

I agree with your take on "amber". 30% spec malts sounds high, though american crystals can be quite light in colour. Either way, malt-bill sounds very caramel/rich.
Do you know if the original is in any way Belgian-inspired, or is that just the brewery's namesake?

Brewerys namesake, atleast for this beer. Also, the head brewer was from Rodenbach i believe.

well, up to 30%.

5% Munich
7% Biscuit
7% Caramalt
7% Carafoam
1% Carafa

= 27%

Ignore the carafoam (as it does SFA in the way of flavour) and its 20%.

Nothing too radical compared to some real commercial/micro recipes ive seen. I never thaught 15% crystal malt would taste good. Now im happy to push up to that boundary. :eek:

Ah why the hell not!

At this stage the calender has nothing happening that weekend, but that can change quickly with me (especially with beer related events dammit!)

Got a heap of Joe White pilsner malt here, so assuming I get my mill assembled, fridge controller wired up, fridge space cleared, and I buy enough PET's, yeah, I'll be in on the swap!

Hopefully my beer will be 'up to the standard'!

Will be good to put names to faces.

Wakkatoo

*edit* spellink

Back