AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vote 1 Fents place its setup for a good time and im sure he can get the spit flying before we get there :lol:

I'd like to be able to host, but like many here, my courtyard is all of 6x6m, most of which is taken up with a kiddies trampoline.

I happily second the vote for Fent's place (convenient central location, and a damn fine spit that's worth the wait :p )

Fents, if your offer still stands, we'd love to trashuse your place for the case swap.

Update the wiki, and lock it in, Eddy.

Fents place sounds great, that way i can perv on the lovely Rach :icon_chickcheers:

Rook

Fents place sounds great, that way i can perv on the lovely Rach :icon_chickcheers:

Rook

Has the restraining order Nillumbik shire took out against you expired, Rook?

Rook
I go for the 'music room'. Bob marley posters, music and 'atmosphere' ;)
my new place should be ok for next year, but not this year

I go for the 'music room'. Bob marley posters, music and 'atmosphere' ;)
my new place should be ok for next year, but not this year

CM2 lock in next year! ;)

Fents, get some buffalo soldier happening! :p

Swappers,
Am thinking 1 brew is a little time consuming and potentially noxious versus>> a little bit of each, i.e I would prefer to enter 3 beers all labeled with my #, whom gets what is not important, whats important is the quality and feedback.
Am I missing something, a downside etc?

Haysie, although it seems like a good idea you have to consider that not only are the 'makers' getting feedback from some more experienced palates, but it is useful for the other folks to gain insight into that feedback for when they sample the wares. My first swap I had no idea wtf diacetyl was or tasted like, but tuned in to what more experienced people were saying, and that's an important part of learning and calibrating. Just a thought to consider.

Ps I have since found a source for diacetyl calibration but that brewery shall remain unnamed.

Maple,
Good insight! I would debate that 2-3 feedback of wares would provide more insight more experience than 1. Sure the taster may only have 1 brew, yet reading feedback of others cant be a bad thing.

Diacetyl? where do we start. I never did like it with mash potatoes.( Hint to the brewery location huh )

edit, That hockey game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 weeks to go boys and 3 swap places left.

So, who knows what they are making? Im pretty sure mine is locked in. Im going to brew a 'smaller' version of it and if that stacks up well, the big boy will be brewed. :icon_cheers:

I'm going to be aiming for double batches of the next few things I brew. I'll select from those that turn out well. I have a few ideas, including a crack at a good pilsner which was my (failed) aim for the xmas case swap.

On the list are: Golden tett ale
Altbier
Cream stout
Dry Stout
American Brown
ESB
Dubbel (haven't cracked this nut yet so not likely to be ready in time)
Pilsner/pilsener

Probably a brown ale. Last batch is almost gone and was a corker (gotta like fuggles though). Will tweak the recipe over the next month or two before finalising.

Might put a lager down as a fallback also (cause it can be done earlier)

Maple,
Good insight! I would debate that 2-3 feedback of wares would provide more insight more experience than 1. Sure the taster may only have 1 brew, yet reading feedback of others cant be a bad thing.

Diacetyl? where do we start. I never did like it with mash potatoes.( Hint to the brewery location huh )

edit, That hockey game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haysie,

I can see where you're coming from re feedback for your own benefit, but I have to agree with Maple - having everyone sample the same beer, and giving feedback (if they wish) on the same beer, is more valuable to everyone else. For the last few years I've really enjoyed reading and comparing everyone's tasting notes of all the swap beers, good and bad. Certainly a great learning tool being able to contrast my own perceptions with what others comment on.
Also, you have to consider that you might only get half a dozen or so reports back on your own beers, which might not help you a great deal if spread across a couple of beers. Just a thought.
If you want to bring a few beers to get feedback at the swap, you'll get some pretty good feedback that way.

So, who knows what they are making? Im pretty sure mine is locked in. Im going to brew a 'smaller' version of it and if that stacks up well, the big boy will be brewed. :icon_cheers:

I'm pretty keen on a repeat of the Tripel I've got conditioning ATM. Brewed it for a mate who's expecting triplets mid-year (poor *******!), and samples are tasting promising.
I'll try to knock it out in the next week or so - will need plenty of bottle conditioning time.
Hutch.

Something American considering I have truck loads of amarillo and cascade... plus 200g+ of freshly dried chinook :)

Slim chance of a TTL since I'll have some GP malt on Saturday...

Ps I have since found a source for diacetyl calibration but that brewery shall remain unnamed.
ahh yes the grand brewery just over the ridge. Their beer is gold in gippsland.

we had it last night at bjcp as an example of diacetyl. Can I have a pot of butterscotch and caramel thanks.

back on topic. Dave's pretty much outlined why we dont do the random swap. its ok in a mini swap but not like this.

ahh yes the grand brewery just over the ridge. Their beer is gold in gippsland.
:eek: pssst, you don't mean the most awarded brewery on earth, do you? :p
...and for your next BJCP session on faults, try their Pilsner - Autolysis central.

would love to come but that is smack back in the due date for our first child...

have fun guys!

Back