45 Degress In Adelaide - Time To Consume Some Icey Beer Tonight!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bloody hell, here we go again.........already a ridiculous temperature and it's only 10am.......half the guys from the surrounding businesses that don't have air-con have stayed home today - apparently one of them had a bit of a heatstroke incident yesterday and it's made the rest of them wonder if trying to work through it is sensible.
My small dilemma is the air-con here (despite it being an absolute beast of a thing that lifts half of the roof tiles when you turn it up) is not coping real well - so to stay cool you have to stand directly in the flow. The only problem with that is that the wind blows the shielding argon away from the weld. So it's a case of turning off the air-con and welding until the temp becomes unbearable (5 minutes max) and there are complaints from the missus next door, then turning it on again to cool everything down again.......& every little while going and standing in the cool-room for a bit. And I thought the air-con was going to solve the summer problems.....bummer.

Best of luck to you poor buggers that have to work outside in this. You have my full respect, I couldn't do it.

edit: interesting the knock-on effects of weather like this - I've just heard the 6th siren go screaming past on Main north rd in the last hour. Seemed to be a lot of them out & about last night too.......bet the local constabulary had a wonderful time last night.....:lol:

Yeah, hottest night I remember. Cant wait to get ducted a/c so I dont have to sleep in the lounge room.

Check out what happened to my 5lt keg in the heat (ATTACHED PIC). The bottom and the top popped out like when you freeze a can of coke. Im not much of a photographer so it didnt come through too much.
Lucky BWS stuffed up and sold me a heap at 10 bucks a pop.

S6300640.JPG

39.2 at 930 out here in Edinburgh so i reckon we should go close to 45 again.

Bostons Ginger Pilsners went down a treat last night!

I was a tad quick at laughing at all you plains dwellers, didnt drop below 30 at my place last night.......

Hey a little off topic... but I have found the recipe for Boston's Ginger Pilsner through the search function but has there being a discussion on it... You guys have being making me thirsty talking about this pilsner and the heat.... Im yet to make a pilsner even though it's quite mild over here in WA Im sure our hot weather is on it's way so I may be a little late on wanting to make this but I research it first and see.... Cheers B)

Hot down south too, but not quite as bad as the north and city...

Dropped kids off at school, got the shopping out of the way, and just tucked into a Coopers Cervaza with Lyle's Golden syrup. I know its a kit, but if there is a better summer beer that is so easy to make, I haven't found it yet.

DJ is getting an air conditioner installed today, I pity the poor buggers installing it!

Crundle

Ahh back to work in the factory after eating a zooper dooper :D

Hey a little off topic... but I have found the recipe for Boston's Ginger Pilsner through the search function but has there being a discussion on it... You guys have being making me thirsty talking about this pilsner and the heat.... Im yet to make a pilsner even though it's quite mild over here in WA Im sure our hot weather is on it's way so I may be a little late on wanting to make this but I research it first and see.... Cheers B)
Link from jel, or,
Bottom right hand side of all recipes in the DB has a 'Discuss Recipe' tab.
Cheers

:huh: This is now beyond a joke.
Beer fridge in garage wont go below 13c. Best sneak some bottles into food fridge while SWMBO is at work! B)

pic-joe-armao-420x0.jpg

Melbourne heat today bent the train tracks, this is going to be an interesting week.

Right... so we've got:
3 blokes to supervise intensely. <_<
1 bloke to lean on his tool, hand in pocket and gaze off into the distance :(
1 woman (?) to hose the track... AFTER it's buckled...what is this actually supposed to achieve? :rolleyes:
and finally:
1 bloke to actually swing a big hammer and do all the work. :lol:

I love the government.

Its classic, Caleb. 3 fellows watching one poor b@$tard dig a hole. Couple of guys leaning on shovels while one plants shrubs on a roundabout. Same ol' same ol'.

Meanwhile it was 25'C here in Goulburn at 9am, with a projected top of 35+.

Yay.

- boingk

this has nothing to do with beer, but yesterday afternoon i cracked an egg on our back yard paving to see if what i had heard years ago that you can fry an egg when it gets that hot, well 3 hours later went back out and sure enough it was cooked, the ants were getting stuck into it too so must have
been cooked ok for them
cheers
fergi

Right... so we've got:
3 blokes to supervise intensely. <_<
1 bloke to lean on his tool, hand in pocket and gaze off into the distance :(
1 woman (?) to hose the track... AFTER it's buckled...what is this actually supposed to achieve? :rolleyes:
and finally:
1 bloke to actually swing a big hammer and do all the work. :lol:

I love the government.

and we complain about our transport system... check this out

View attachment transport.bmp

Just about to jump above 40C here.

It managed to get down to a positively CHILLY 34C last night.

We've got a decent breeze here too :S

Staying indoors again today.

this has nothing to do with beer, but yesterday afternoon i cracked an egg on our back yard paving to see if what i had heard years ago that you can fry an egg when it gets that hot, well 3 hours later went back out and sure enough it was cooked, the ants were getting stuck into it too so must have
been cooked ok for them
cheers
fergi

Might have to try that with the material i use. Its 90 odd reflective silver and when the sun hits it it shoots a hell alot of heat off. Will do it 2morrow i think unless the canteen will kindly donate 1 for R and D

It's just pushed past 40 degrees here in Melbourne (although the thermometer in the backyard says 45). And I chose today to take a day off and brew...!

I couldn't waste a day, so I mashed in at 7:30 and I've just put 40 litres of APA in cubes. Holy crap, if it's 45 out the back, then I wonder what temp it is when you're leaning over a 90 litre pot of boiling liquor...!?

In front of the air con now, it's all good.

Hey Dave your dripping sweat would play havoc with your evap. rate. :D

Warren -

I did end up with 5 litres in the bottom of the kettle - despite the strong northerly...maybe I did impart a few litres of perspiration...! We'll call it L'eau D'bugwan. Maybe that should be odour bugwan... Pete - you're right, no salts need to be added at this stage. :lol:

The only problem now is waiting for pitching temp, should have this baby on tap in late 2010.

Latest posts

Back