34/70 ale fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
just received the latest BYO mag, and there is a dunkel recipe that looks interesting. but it got me thinking, what if I use 34/70 yeast and ferment at 18c. my fermentation fridge is a 'heat sink' system and struggles to go below 16c with 25L of beer here in the sweltering humidity of Singapore.

did a bit of a search on this forum, and no threads jumped out (please point me in the right direction, if I'm wrong about that)

did a search on the web, and it seems there are a number of people who have had success with these 'ale' fermentation temperatures using the 34/70 larger yeast. so I'm encouraged to try.

but, i thought'd ask, if anyone has some experience and how was the result ?

thanks chaps

Fall down the rabbit hole here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/
I have brewed many beers with various lager yeasts at about 18C and have been very happy with the results. My favorites to use like this are Diamond and S-189, followed by S-23 and W-34/70. All will make great beers without the hassle of cold fermentation. Try it and find out. You can also pitch less yeast because at ale temperatures you just don't need as much as at cold.

As above have used S-23 at 17-18C, for a Tropical Stout. Works a treat

Fall down the rabbit hole here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/
I have brewed many beers with various lager yeasts at about 18C and have been very happy with the results. My favorites to use like this are Diamond and S-189, followed by S-23 and W-34/70. All will make great beers without the hassle of cold fermentation. Try it and find out. You can also pitch less yeast because at ale temperatures you just don't need as much as at cold.

thanks, mate, that is most certainly a rabbit hole. a very active thread indeed.

seems promising, looks like I'm off to the shop to get a few packets of larger yeast.

ok, well the experiment is underway, I kept the recipe basic - will report when it's ready to taste.

4kg pilsner
500g wheat
10g cryo loral hops - 60min
10g cryo loral hops - 10 min
.5 pkt 34/70 yeast

into fermentor - 20L @ 1.053
ferment temp 16c

update on progress

my garbage heat sink fridge is most definitely garbage.

I chilled the beer - post boil - to 16c (2 bags of ice, and 20L of 16c water for the chiller) fermentation kicked off after 1 day, rather vigorously; my garbage fridge can't handle this activity; each day it raised 1 to 18c. and at 1.014; (5 days) it fell to 16c - so into the secondary (keg at 15c)

out of the fermentor, it tastes really good - surprisingly

so now the waiting game

Back