Step-by-step Biab (lcba Clone)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the above for my first attempt at BIAB. After a month is tasted good, but very cloudy. I put a few away and tried a 5 month old bottle the other day. Crystal clear and definately the best beer I have made (and one of the nicest I have tried full stop).

I've now got a Dr Smurto's GA bubbling away in the fermenting fridge...can't wait to try this when it's finsihed.

Cheers MLP for the great instructions.

Hey all, I brewed this one a few weeks ago and it has been bottle conditioning for only 8 days. I cracked one tonight and...well...wow. A truly great guide My LittlePony,well done!

20140411_184455.jpg

Hey mate so I roughly did this on sunday. I pitched my yeast last night at around 9pm. My wort is around 12L now and my SG was a ridiculous 1.068. Can I add 6L of water this afternoon to top it up to 18L even with the yeast in there for around 20 hours? Or is it too late?

I'd guess that since the original post, LCBA has changed completely and no doubt for the worse.

Two suggestions:

A colander ring at the bottom of the kettle, underneath the bag, is a good precaution if heating is done while mashing, but heat carefully anyway.

If using one's local water in the mash requires brewing salts or acid to get within mash pH range, use water treated the same for sparging (the 2L in the original post) or else add a drop or two of lactic acid. Keeping sparge pH low minimizes the extraction of astringency.

My Little Pony said:
Well for all-grain brewing, a relatively long boil (60 to 120 minutes) is necessary.

It is important for the following reasons:
- It sterilizes the wort,
- Proteins are coagulated,
- Proteins are denatures and enzymes deactivated,
- Colour and flavour compounds are formed,
- Unwanted volatiles are removed,
- Reducing agents are formed.

So I would recommend atleast a 60 minute boil for all BIAB's

You will see that generally the longest hop addition is 60 minutes, attributing almost solely to bitterness, boiling hops for longer than this will not cause much of an increase in bitterness, if any.
I'd argue some of the points.

One minute of boiling sterilizes wort.
Protein coagulation follows a rapidly leveling curve. There is very little late in a boil.
Colour and flavour extraction in well-milled grain is fairly rapid.
Enzymes are deactivated before the wort even reaches boiling.

On the other hand:
Protein denaturing is indeed a slow process. The main benefit is better foam stability.
Long boiling removes precursors of unwanted volatiles. Really long boils were used in the past because of slow cooling. You cool fast with the water addition.

Base grains matter. The more converted and kilned, the less time you need. In your recipe 90 minutes no doubt works well. At a glance I'd probably go with at least 80 because of the pils malt. Use an English ale malt and 60 works, I just repeated a recipe with mostly Munich II as a base, boiled 50 and it was fine, including foam stability.

Okay so other than the addition brewing salts I can use the same mash and boil times, water volumes for the mash and sparge etc and use Dr smarts golden ale ingredients

Bribie G said:
I'd guess that since the original post, LCBA has changed completely and no doubt for the worse.
I had one yesterday and it didn't float my boat

Latest posts

Back