Alco Sarsaparilla - Recipe & Discussion Of It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really disappointed with the sarsaparilla root that I had purchased ( I don't recall from where). It was just woody with no real flavour. Powdered Liquorice root was ok though.
Extract kicks butt over sticks, pods and leaves, IMO.

Hippie - why 9.5% ABV? I'd personally aim for something of a sessionable strength.

Nothing wrong with 9.5% :lol: unless you had to drive somewhere then that could be a problem.

Hi All

Why 9.5% ABV

Well I found that when I went to this level of ABV it lasted longer when left for awhile, but I was making larger batches then and adding no extract so it was more a root beer not a sarsaparilla. alcohol acts as a preservative.

now I just do a batch every week and had not bothered to lower the ABV. So I have 3x700ml & 6x325ml coming out each week from 3x5ltr carboy/demijohn in rotation.

I like the roots, pods and leaves as they have very good health properties. but yes I have had trouble getting that familiar sarsaparilla store bought taste, that's why I cheat with a little extract.

You were right about the fact that Bundy Soft Drinks used to have a drink called "Horehound". It was discontinued a few years ago, as the barrels or wooden vats they used to make it in had deteriorated and had to be gotten rid off. Unfortunately the cost of new vats was significant, and "Horehound" only sold in small amounts. Hence it a commercial decision to discontinue it.

Source: A lady at work (whose favourite Bundy Softdrink was Horehound) called the company to find out why it was no longer available.

Latest posts

Back