St Rogue Red Ale - Dry Hopped

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got everything in stock for this recipe. It might have just moved into the next 5 brew list. Let us know how ut tastes

How did this end up turning out mika? Housemate wants a traditional US AAA and i luurrrrve this beer so feedback would be great!

yeah i'd be interested in some feedback too, getting the Pacman Strain soon and planning this as my first beer to brew with it!

yeah i'd be interested in some feedback too, getting the Pacman Strain soon and planning this as my first beer to brew with it!

Well i brewed the BYO version but i subbed the dark crystal for cararye and its going to be the dry hopped version. Should be interesting to say the least. St. Rogue Red Ale with a Rye twist. I also swapped the chinook bittering addition for magnum as its what i had on hand. When i get around to culturing some slants up of the pacman yeast i'll be fermenting this one out. Keep your eyes open on this for around a fortnights time. ;)

Ive attached my recipe below.

Cheers! :beerbang:

Well ive just doughed in on the St. Rye Red Ale (Rogue - St. rogue Red clone w/cararye as the dark crystal)

Attached is the real recipe (my figures where close though). Interesingly the cararye doesn't taste anything like a crystal malt. i get deep cocoa, some mild dark fruit and biscuity notes from it. observing the colours of the choc rye and cararye they are different (on the craftbrewer website) and mine seems to match the cararye colour. Maybe Ross or anyone else can chime in with some info if the cararye is supposed to taste like crystal malt?

Should be an interesting amber ale nonetheless! :icon_cheers:

St.Rye Red Ale
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 19/01/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 70.2 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
0.40 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.40 kg Cararye (Weyermann) (66.2 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
20.00 gm Magnum [12.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.3 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (20 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
40.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
50.00 gm Centennial [8.70%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale <--- will be subbing pacman

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 43.7 IBU
Est Color: 12.0 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 L of water at 70.8 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 87.5 C 73.0 C 10 min

Well i brewed the BYO version but i subbed the dark crystal for cararye and its going to be the dry hopped version. Should be interesting to say the least. St. Rogue Red Ale with a Rye twist. I also swapped the chinook bittering addition for magnum as its what i had on hand. When i get around to culturing some slants up of the pacman yeast i'll be fermenting this one out. Keep your eyes open on this for around a fortnights time. ;)

Ive attached my recipe below.

Cheers! :beerbang:
Looks nice 4star!
I've been looking around for ideas for two beers for the yeast (I'm lazy on the slanting front, I tend to just try and do two beers from a pack)
A revisit to the Hazelnut Brown is one but some big American Amber or Pale was definitely an idea. I'm a big fan of Centeniall as a US hop and a hop in general too.
I've got some caramel rye there too...

A revisit to the Hazelnut Brown is one but some big American Amber or Pale was definitely an idea.

yeah, ive been planning a sequel to the hazelnut brown for a while too. The next one i will follow more to rogues original and add a bucketload of caramalt/crystal to keep the sweetness up (10-15%~), a touch of carafa for colour and a block of 85% lindt @ flameout! I'll keep the IBU low with a single boil addition @ 20IBU~ filtered and direct to the keg with 1/2 bottle of hazelnut essence again. Awesome :icon_drool2:

This is the plan for it so far. Might give you some ideas.

Hazelnut Brown Ale II
American Brown Ale

Date: 6/08/2009

Ingredients
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 73.4 %
0.50 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 9.2 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.3 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 4.6 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
0.10 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
15.00 gm Magnum [10.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.4 IBU
5.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
25.00 ml Hazelnut Extract (Bottling 0.0 weeks) Misc
100.00 gm Chocolate (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 19.4 IBU
Est Color: 19.4 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 14.40 L of water at 73.4 C 67.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.23 L of water at 97.0 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
2g CaCl2 into the mash
3g CaCl2 into the boil

Add hazelnut extract to keg, 1.5ml per 1L (25-30ml~ a keg)

yeah, ive been planning a sequel to the hazelnut brown for a while too. The next one i will follow more to rogues original and add a bucketload of caramalt/crystal to keep the sweetness up (10-15%~), a touch of carafa for colour and a block of 85% lindt @ flameout! I'll keep the IBU low with a single boil addition @ 20IBU~ filtered and direct to the keg with 1/2 bottle of hazelnut essence again. Awesome :icon_drool2:

This is the plan for it so far. Might give you some ideas.

Hazelnut Brown Ale II
American Brown Ale

Date: 6/08/2009

Ingredients
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 73.4 %
0.50 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 9.2 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.3 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 4.6 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 3.7 %
0.10 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
15.00 gm Magnum [10.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.4 IBU
5.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
25.00 ml Hazelnut Extract (Bottling 0.0 weeks) Misc
100.00 gm Chocolate (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 19.4 IBU
Est Color: 19.4 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 14.40 L of water at 73.4 C 67.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.23 L of water at 97.0 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
2g CaCl2 into the mash
3g CaCl2 into the boil

Add hazelnut extract to keg, 1.5ml per 1L (25-30ml~ a keg)

Brewed a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clone last year (used Chico yeast instead of the Pacman though). Turned out great! You'll need to give it a few weeks for the hazelnut essence to settle down. Here's my recipe FYI.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Clone
Brewer: Michael Powell
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 28.00 L
Boil Size: 39.56 L
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.40 kg Maris Otter (Hugh Baird) (2.6 SRM) Grain 66.57 %
0.80 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (8.0 SRM) Grain 12.10 %
0.65 kg Crystal Medium (Hugh Baird's) (72.0 SRM) Grain 9.83 %
0.30 kg Brown Malt (Hugh Baird's) (65.0 SRM) Grain 4.54 %
0.18 kg Caramalt (Barrett Burston) (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.72 %
0.18 kg Crystal Dark (Hugh Baird's) (130.0 SRM) Grain 2.72 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (250.0 SRM) Grain 1.51 %
54.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.8 IBU
15.00 gm Sterling [5.90 %] (30 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.60 tbsp 5.2 Stabilizer (Buffer) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.60 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
20.00 ml Hazelnut Essence (Bottling 0.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-56 (S-0Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.61 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
70 min Mash In Add 17.25 L of water at 73.0 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 11.03 L of water at 90.9 C 75.6 C

Notes:
------
Aeration stone for 20mins prior to fermentation.

Well.... I had issues.
I mashed fairly low at a smidge below 66, but with all that crystal it seems as though you need to go lower. FG was 1014 which is OK, but not great. It originally stopped even higher than that, but I managed to rouse it enough to get it lower. Colour is off, stripped a bunch in fermentation. Still kinda red, but has that more murky river water brown colour going on, my signature colour :rolleyes: . Clarity is woeful, though not a big deal in a dry hopped beer. Bitterness is not where it should be. I loved the Rogue because it almost tasted like you were drinking hop juice in the finish, my version misses out badly, the chinook had been around a while, but was still sealed in the packet, I can't real pick much of it up. I'd double the dry hopping without thinking about it and I'd be looking for more overall bitterness as well (perhaps 5 IBU ?), it's fairly well balanced at the moment, but as that late hop flavour fades, it's going to end up too sweet. I'm getting a weird background flavour in the finish, that might be one of the crystal malts, not sure which one, but I'm not a fan of it. Hop aroma is AWOL as well. The hops are the real dissappointment, after such a heavy handed hopping schedule I would have expected more, but the hops really don't pop. Maybe I need to take a closer look at my sulphate concentrations.
So... yeah, maybe if I hadn't spent ages trying to beat it down to a lower FG it might not have some of the issues it has, but I still wouldn't be brewing it without some fairly radical changes.

Well.... I had issues.
I mashed fairly low at a smidge below 66, but with all that crystal it seems as though you need to go lower.
Wait. Help me understand.
Low mash temperatures suit the beta amylase, converting more dextrines to maltose... lightening the body of the beer.
So...
i. With THIS beer you wanted a lighter body? or
ii. With most beers with high gravity you may need the beta amylase to help get to lower gravity? or
iii. Something else, i'm not even on the same page?

Hi bcp,

I think this recipe had/has a fair whack of crystal in it, which increases the body (via unfermentables) and also adds to perceived sweetness. Hence you'd probably want to mash lower than you normally would to acheived the desired FG/body for the beer.

Cheers SJ

Hi bcp,
I think this recipe had/has a fair whack of crystal in it, which increases the body (via unfermentables) and also adds to perceived sweetness. Hence you'd probably want to mash lower than you normally would to acheived the desired FG/body for the beer.
Cheers SJ

Take mine for instance, 21% Crystal malts! I must admit, i usually mash @ around 64-66 as i usually want a drier beer anyway. Im going to pitch the yeast (PACMAN) on this sucker as soon as i buy some more base malt as i really want to pump out an IPA (simple yellow snow style malt bill) and maybe a maibock (dead guy ale) using the pacman yeast. If i get a chance to fly by the brewshop on saturday before cricket I'll be picking some grain up. :D

if all things goto plan (and the weather stays cool), i'll be pitching come sunday or monday and hopefully hitting my brain by mid February!

Wait. Help me understand.
Low mash temperatures suit the beta amylase, converting more dextrines to maltose... lightening the body of the beer.
So...
i. With THIS beer you wanted a lighter body? or
ii. With most beers with high gravity you may need the beta amylase to help get to lower gravity? or
iii. Something else, i'm not even on the same page?

i. / Yep
ii. / Yep.
iii. / Probably :huh:

It's a bit counter intuitive, but after throwing all those big crystal malts in there, at the end of the day you still want a dry finish to the beer. You can only hide so much behind hops before it becomes too cloying. You can use a regular mash and still produce a balanced beer (probably need a few more hops), but it will only be good for a pint or two. I wanted to be able to have 4 or more of this beer without feeling like I'd chugged a coupla cups of sugar.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an extract brewer/ partial mash brewer??
in regards to getting a drier finish, I've heard if you partial mash with a base grain at whatever temperature it converts the rest of the malt extract/carbohydrates to that temp (as if you'd mashed it) I'm obviously not all that clear on how it works

PS: Sorry for the slight highjack

well went to pitch the yeast on this cube of St Rye red ale today and ive had my 1st cube 'infection'. i didnt want to risk it as there was a black thick ring of mould around the thread/seal so i dumped it. It smelt kinda peppery but that might have ben the rye/hop combination although im kinda not surpised. 5 weeks with 50g of hops added to the cube is slightly excessive not to mention alot of up and down temperature days wreaking havoc on the cubes. :(

Lesson learnt, limit cube hopping and ensure you clear all residue from the thread/lid. Hey, i cant really complain. 61 AG brewed and no chilled and only 1 with a cube infection. None with fermentation infections to date B) .

Looks like i'll be brewing this again on wednesday and fermented post haste! :D

Can you elaborate on the dry hopping as an infection source idea a little? Received wisdom suggests dry hops shouldn't really introduce anything suss. Any info/links greatly appreciated.

[EDIT: my condolences]

Can you elaborate on the dry hopping as an infection source idea a little? Received wisdom suggests dry hops shouldn't really introduce anything suss. Any info/links greatly appreciated.
[EDIT: my condolences]

sorry, not dry hopping in the fermenter but late hopping into the cube as i no chilled

i have had a procedure that had not failed me until now (still may not have been the source so i can't accurately confirm it.) but i usually add my equivilant whirlpool/hopback addition to the cube at 65-70deg~ to try and reduce isomerisation. As the pH isnt low enough to inhibit bacteria growth i point to this as a possible source. Although it was all around the cap thread so it may have been some syrupy wort left on the cube lid/thread and built up a funky culture. :(

i usually dump a while tea kettle worth of water over the cubelid wehn i finish sealing it. i guess this may have failed me. The cube was still under vacuum but i didnt want to risk it.

OK, so lining up for attempt 2. Probably should have taken more tasting notes from attempt 1.
I wasn't happy with the hop flavour or aroma, so have upped the later additions to take care of that.
One brewer said there wasn't enough caramel type flavours in the beer. It may be that we're trying to replicate a beer that's aged pretty well by the time it gets here, but oh well. And I wasn't happy with the percentage crystal in all of that as it didn't attentuate very well at all.
So, I've reduced the overall crystal percentage, thrown out the Crystal 80 and subbed in Caraaroma, which people have described as caramelly, so hoping that does the trick, but I've never used it before.
And the yeast is a little different this time as well :beerbang:
So, as it stands;

Rogue Red Ale - Clone attempt #2

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.95
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.98
Anticipated SRM: 14.1
Anticipated IBU: 60.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.1 4.80 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
18.7 1.30 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
5.0 0.35 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 51
5.0 0.35 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24
2.2 0.15 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 178

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
25.00 g. Magnum Pellet 13.10 36.2 60 min.
7.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.70 5.2 30 min.
7.00 g. Chinook Pellet 11.40 6.8 30 min.
5.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.70 2.4 15 min.
5.00 g. Chinook Pellet 11.40 3.1 15 min.
15.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.70 2.9 5 min.
15.00 g. Chinook Pellet 11.40 3.8 5 min.
25.00 g. Centennial Pellet 8.70 0.0 Dry Hop
25.00 g. Chinook Pellet 11.40 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WYeast Special Release - Rogue Pacman

I've gotta get the brewery ready, so probably start milling grain in about 45mins or so.
If someone reckons I'm going down the wrong path with what I want to achieve, let me know. Keen for sensible input.

This beer was served at the 2010 NHC Grand Banquet along with the Morimoto Soba Ale and Double Mocha Porter.

P6191210__1600x1200_.JPG

From what I remember (and it had been a very big week), the dry hop character was prominent. I would think 2g/L would be the minimum for this beer. And you might even consider more than that. There is a crystal sweetness as to be expected. But if you've had Lagunitas Lucky 13, it is drier than that in the finish.

P7132623__1600x1200_.JPG

All hazy memories, but I hope it helps a little bit. The photos are fresh examples, though not in the best lighting.

Yeah, that was about my memories of it as well. I've got a bottle sitting in the fridge that I probably should have drunk by now. Not sure whether to sink it and start thinking about clone attempt no. 3 or to at least wait until attempt no. 2 has finished fermenting.
2g/L should result in a pretty damn hoppy beer, I'm hoping it will dry out a lot more this time and that should make the hops shine thru. Guess I'll find out in about a month.

Brewed this today:

3.5kg Simpsons Maris Otter
1kg JW Munich
300g JW Crystal
300g Simpsons Med Crystal
300g Bairds Dark Crystal
6g CaSO4 mash & boil
64C mash 2 hours (drove to Absolute Homebrew for CO2 while mashing)
75C mashout & sparge

12g Chinook 11.4% 60 mins
30g Centennial 8.7% 20 mins
40g Centennial 8.7% cube
20g Centennial dry after 5 days
40g Chinook dry after 5 days

Planned OG was 1.052 but after a less than vi-garose boil, OG was only 1.044. Will add DME at pitching.

Got a starter of Wyeast Pacman waiting for this to cool down and be ready for fermentation.

I think the colour is okay. Was originally contemplating some black malt to darken it a little more. But I think it should be fine as it is. If I'm not happy with the colour I will steep some Carafa Special III and add when I add the dry hops.

Back