2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a couple of people cutting off bull shoots? Are they not good?

Belgrave Brewer said:
Hi Rob,
It's been cold and wet in the Dandenong Ranges so hops are off to a slow start. Generally for first year plants, let everything grow to help develop the root system. What kind of soil are they in? I'd get a liquid fertiliser with a good N-P-K and trace minerals and give them a feed every few weeks.
Thanks Belgrave Brewer,

They are both in a potting mix for vegies. I had previously given them some seaweed fertiliser that was high in N but not much else, so I got some Yates Thrive today which has a bit of everything in it and gave them some of that.

doctr-dan said:
I read a couple of people cutting off bull shoots? Are they not good?
They break easier as they are not as flexible and have a more hollow center, and, the distance between nodes is greater so yield will be lower. They still produce hops so work with what you have. There's a more detailed response earlier in this topic.

Robbieb said:
Thanks Belgrave Brewer,

They are both in a potting mix for vegies. I had previously given them some seaweed fertiliser that was high in N but not much else, so I got some Yates Thrive today which has a bit of everything in it and gave them some of that.
Nitrogen is what they really crave right now, but a well balanced fertiliser will help with macro and micro nutrients. They'll want more Potassium and less Nitrogen as soon as you see burrs. Cheers.

So I've got a heap of burrs on both my plants. Isnt it too early in the season to be getting burrs already??

Futur said:
So I've got a heap of burrs on both my plants. Isnt it too early in the season to be getting burrs already??
I've seen Queensland growers with burrs already. I'm in VIC and my Cluster has burrs on the bine, but not the laterals. Depends on where you are and what kind of growing season it has been. It could also be a sign of plant stress.

Looking healthy!

IMG_20161201_164826-1560x2080.jpg

IMG_20161201_164852-1560x2080.jpg

Goldings. (From Grainer) Not bad for a first year in a pot.

Chinook. 2nd year (from DrSmurto) Last to start and fastest growth now dwarfing everything else in growth. Laterals as thick as the main bines.
This could have something to do with the carcass, skins and waste of a 7 foot shark I buried adjacent to the grow bed about 6 months ago. The roots must have been looking for food then bang! away it went. Oh, its next to a compost pile as well. The crazy way they tangle and twine together building their own structures. Everywhere but were I want them to go so daily wrangling at the moment.

Futur said:
Looking healthy!
Indeed! That's about where my Fuggles are at at the moment, just no burrs yet. Plenty of laterals though. My other two varieties are behind but shooting up quickly, so it won't be long before they catch up. Got a good dose of rain yesterday too which should do them good. Would like a lot more of it though!

Rocker1986 said:
Indeed! That's about where my Fuggles are at at the moment, just no burrs yet. Plenty of laterals though. My other two varieties are behind but shooting up quickly, so it won't be long before they catch up. Got a good dose of rain yesterday too which should do them good. Would like a lot more of it though!
Nice! The won't take long I'm sure. I kinda ignored my hops for a few weeks, just fertilised every week or so. Then I looked at them the other day and there was burrs everywhere. I'm pretty impressed so far with both plants since they're first year and are both on par with each other.

Danscraftbeer said:
Goldings. (From Grainer) Not bad for a first year in a pot.

Chinook. 2nd year (from DrSmurto) Last to start and fastest growth now dwarfing everything else in growth. Laterals as thick as the main bines.
This could have something to do with the carcass, skins and waste of a 7 foot shark I buried adjacent to the grow bed about 6 months ago. The roots must have been looking for food then bang! away it went. Oh, its next to a compost pile as well. The crazy way they tangle and twine together building their own structures. Everywhere but were I want them to go so daily wrangling at the moment.

No, that's just normal Chinook growth. Last to break the surface but when it does it grows fast enough you can almost see it.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
can someone give me a rough metric for how much soil / potting mix is needed in litres per bine when grown in pots? I don't think I have enough and if I'm going to add more it is probably best to do it now.

Danscraftbeer said:
^ Yes that is the question.
Well I can now definitely say that 6 - 8 litres per bine is not enough; both sets were quite rootbound.

Fortunately my wife looked at them this weekend and said "we'll repot those" so we moved them to new pots of about 70 litres. That's about 18 litres per bine, hopefully that will be enough. Most of them are nearing the top of the wire which is at about 5.5 meters.

Rocker1986 said:
Bummer, that means I'm lagging behind even for Brisbane standards.... I'm sure you've said earlier, but what fertiliser are you using? Just Seasol or something? So far, they've just had chook manure pellets.....

Also, I've noticed holes appearing in the leaves, did you say you were using "Success" for pest control?

If you get holes on just the lower leaves it's almost always snails. They don't usually climb very high on hops.

If you get holes on just the lower leaves it's almost always snails. They don't usually climb very high on hops.

Higher up unfortunately, looking around on them this morning, I found a tiny cricket/grasshopper/jumpy thing, it was dispatched with a quick flick of the finger. I doubt it was working alone though.

I use that Osmocote herb and vegetable fertiliser on mine. Usually just a small handful every couple of months once they start growing. I use the Success spray as well yes, it's more for caterpillars than grasshoppers, I've also noticed over the last week or two some small holes in some leaves and some leaves chewed completely off and I did find a small green grasshopper on a bine the other day, but otherwise they've largely been left alone by the pests so far.

The Hallertau and Cascade plants have had a bit of a growth spurt in the last few days after that big storm on Saturday and the smaller ones the past couple of nights, it's good to see. :)

Righto, I think I actually have some of that osmocote in the garage! Might throw a handful on this morning...

My Victoria (which is from matplat) seemed to start quite late for BNE and has about half a dozen shoots around 1.5m now. I have done one treatment of Powerfeed a few weeks ago and plan to do another this weekend.

I've had a few leaves with small holes, and noticed grasshoppers on the plant a number of times but they've been squished. No sign of snails.

It seems that bloody wallabies have been chewing my tips!

Have had to beef up my security system (ie surround each mound with a ring of chicken wire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back