2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hops aren't doing too shit this year. They laugh at my 4.2m crossbeam and attempt to grow higher.

Decent laterals from about 1.5m as well. If The weather stays sane it might actually be a decent crop!

1481351999461.jpg

Awesome. I may steal your trellising next year. Do you have them guy-wired?

Interestingly, my Willamette started gangbusters this year, up to 3 meters before any other Melbournians I saw in this thread. Now, they've been at a standstill for about 3 or 4 weeks. They just grew like hell, then all the bines stopped growing. I'm very curious to see what they'll do.

On the other hand, my 1st-year Victoria had about 2 bines that were about 15cm max 5 weeks ago. Now there are 6 bines, most at 4.5 metres, 1/2 metre laterals all the way up, and 3 new, solid bines on the way up.

Willamette!? Can I have first dibs on a Rhizome if you decide to sell some? :)

Damb possums! within their tiny brain capacity found a way to some of my Cascade and Tettnang and ate about 15 tips off last night!!!
Darn that to labour me some today and sacrifice a few old socks. Filled with a cup of Dynamic Lifter pellets. Screwed them to strategic access points and wet them to stink. Sprayed everything and everywhere with garlic chilli spray and Skat.
Choke on that possums.

Noticed a few burrs in their infancy this afternoon, but i dont have any laterals yet. Will vegetation growth continue much, or should I start hitting them with a more potassium oriented fertilizer?

My gut feeling would be to wait for laterals and burrs on those before hitting it with the flowering fertiliser. I've got a couple of burrs on my Hallertau plant for some reason, but also no laterals yet. They will get there though. My Fuggle plant has a heap of laterals but no burrs yet :lol:

These are some pics I got earlier today of my plants. 1. 1st year Cascade, 2. 2nd year Hallertau, 3. 2nd year Fuggle (hard to see the laterals as they've grown up on the mesh too)

15400564_10211882257320420_6620335130910001370_n.jpg

15492198_10211882261560526_4266178586996185308_n.jpg

15442123_10211882256200392_174595560727957045_n.jpg

Rocker those yellowish leaves on your Fuggles don't look right mate.

Chinook & Cascade thanks to Mofox. Struggled to get any sort of super structure up for the hops so took the easy option of buying this thing from Bunnings. Hops are now at the point where they need to be encouraged to grow horizontally, not sure they are going to be too keen to grow downwards on the other side..

WP_20161212_17_46_45_Pro.jpg

abyss said:
Rocker those yellowish leaves on your Fuggles don't look right mate.
They do look a bit wrong I agree, although the same thing happened with my Hallertau last year and it was still fine and produced a fair few flowers in the end. Those bines are the first ones that shot up this season, so I don't know if it's normal for them to do that when newer ones start growing or not, but I'm happy to leave it for now and just see what happens.

Some plants can suffer from iron deficiency and a symptom is yellowing or browning of the leaves I'd try some iron folate I've used it before on a variety of plants and it has returned the leaves back to green again.

My super alpha or Dr Rudi is going well. The longest of the bines is around 4-4.5m and laterals around 30-40cm and have a few small burrs.483.jpeg

Brownsworthy said:
Some plants can suffer from iron deficiency and a symptom is yellowing or browning of the leaves I'd try some iron folate I've used it before on a variety of plants and it has returned the leaves back to green again.
Could be, but I'd be putting my money on magnesium deficiency.

I have been meaning to give them a bit more fertiliser but I keep forgetting... must remember tomorrow. Maybe throw some epsom salts on it too.. . :lol: kidding.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481599650.035720.jpg

These are mine, Victoria in the little pot I got off curly79 and cascade in the drum.

After seeing everyone's photos mine are not taking off the same. I am watering them once every couple of days. Is this not enough or too much? They are in a nice and sunny position.

They are first years so nor expecting a lot but thought they would be doing better than this when comparing with everyone else.

I'm no Don Burke but I'd say you need to get them out of those pots and into the ground instead, those pots look pretty small. My 3 first year chinook started off quickly then went idle for what felt like 2 months. Haven't put much effort into them, not much watering etc but they are going well now, got probably 12 really healthy looking bines with the longest about 3m.

Yeah the small one I can understand, as I just dumped it there and haven't expected it to go as well as it has, considering it started after the other two. But the ones in the wine barrel I thought had enough space.

Not keen to put them in the ground if I can help it at this stage.

Rocker1986 said:
I have been meaning to give them a bit more fertiliser but I keep forgetting... must remember tomorrow. Maybe throw some epsom salts on it too.. . :lol: kidding.
Epsom salts is a good source of magnesium for plants actually so it would't hurt to dilute some into the water your watering with, or apply as foliar spray late in the day.

Nullnvoid said:
Yeah the small one I can understand, as I just dumped it there and haven't expected it to go as well as it has, considering it started after the other two. But the ones in the wine barrel I thought had enough space.

Not keen to put them in the ground if I can help it at this stage.
I wouldn't be too worried Russ. It's been a strange season for me too. We've only had a handful of warm days down here when you think about it. . My POR is going well but victoria and cascade which have been in the ground for 3 years are slow as. Wouldn't be surprised if they fire up soon but if not don't stress they will go better next year

Maybe I'm predisposed to think I'm doing worse than everyone else... but in recent photos it seems I might not be tracking too badly. In the following order: victoria, then cascade then EKG. There is an overgrown garden in front of the cascade and EKG so cant get good photos from a distance.

1481614218864.jpg

1481614242593.jpg

1481614264075.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back