2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the looks of your chinook, I think you'll have to donate some to prevent wastage!

My drying rack is a bit the same really. Just fly screen "drawers" in a frame. Shouldn't be too much to build.

Laterals are starting to appear on my Mt Hood and Chinook. Cascade and Goldings are not quite at the top of their strings. First year hops (wild Otway goldings and Victoria) are growing well, but am not yet confident of any crop off them.

As I don't have any fly screens to re-purpose, I was trying to work out the cost of making a mini oast house to fit over a fan. I then looked up second hand dehydrators and realised one of them could be had for less money and less mucking about, albeit at less volume...

After a very slow start due to a cold and wet Spring things are starting to look normal for this time of the year in VIC. Probably still a week behind, but they'll catch up in time. 4 days until the solstice, the longest day of the year.

field.jpg

cascade_chinook_vic.jpg

chin_row2_vic_row3.jpg

chinook_row2.jpg

vic_row3.jpg

vic_row3_4.jpg

vic_row4.jpg

Cascade, Chinook & POR starting to hit their strides... Scored 3 M electrical pipe from Masters for $ 10 each and set a few eye hooks at the top.

Hops Dec 2016.jpg

Have you got two types of hop on one of those 'masts'? Or is there another out of the shot?

Matplat said:
Have you got two types of hop on one of those 'masts'? Or is there another out of the shot?
POR is on the far left mound and I have cascade in the right mound. The Chinook are in pots going up the line on the far right of the right pole. Noticed the bines making their way out now!!

My hops have picked up now. The chinook is taller than me, hard to believe that's just 1 months worth of growth.

1.jpg

2.jpg

These are some burrs that have formed on my 1st year Cascade plant. It hasn't really started sprouting any laterals yet. Up in the air whether to start applying the flowering fertiliser yet or wait until it sprouts some proper laterals. :unsure: What do the learned folks here reckon?

IMG_1058.JPG

Rocker1986 said:
These are some burrs that have formed on my 1st year Cascade plant. It hasn't really started sprouting any laterals yet. Up in the air whether to start applying the flowering fertiliser yet or wait until it sprouts some proper laterals. :unsure: What do the learned folks here reckon?
I'm interested in the answer to that question too, cos my plants look pretty much the same!

My chinook bolted so early, didnt seem to put much effort into laterals - should still get a decent harvest.

DrSmurto could you share your thoughts on a IIPA with these?

My Hallertau has started sprouting laterals now, along with the handful of burrs/flowers that appeared. I'll just keep an eye on them over the next few weeks, which won't be too hard since I'm on 4 weeks holidays.

And this here is a perfect example of why I put the mesh covers over the soil in these things... :lol: this is the Hallertau plant.

15492397_10211976460035429_7322986964716471777_n.jpg

C'mon Kelsey! You've spent plenty of bloody time restoring that reel mower to have a perfect lawn but you've neglected the bloody edges.
Now do yourself a favour and get the bloody wipper snipper out and tidy that up!

Rocker1986 said:
My Hallertau has started sprouting laterals now, along with the handful of burrs/flowers that appeared. I'll just keep an eye on them over the next few weeks, which won't be too hard since I'm on 4 weeks holidays.

And this here is a perfect example of why I put the mesh covers over the soil in these things... :lol: this is the Hallertau plant.

15492397_10211976460035429_7322986964716471777_n.jpg
What is that bird? It looks big enough to eat!

don't eat it they taste like crap. its ether a brush turkey or a water hen

gunn said:
My chinook bolted so early, didnt seem to put much effort into laterals - should still get a decent harvest.

DrSmurto could you share your thoughts on a IIPA with these?
Awesome! I've made a few IIPAs using only homegrown hops. Bursting with flavour. Only downside is the 5L of beer the dry hop soaks up. Worth it though.

Danscraftbeer said:
What is that bird? It looks big enough to eat!
It's a scrub turkey. When they die even crows won't eat them. They are the precise reason I have my edible gardens surrounded with fencing wire, and planted my hops in an old concrete sink 2 feet off the ground...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back