2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DrSmurto said:
Only downside is the 5L of beer the dry hop soaks up. Worth it though.
I've never used fresh whole cones but have wondered about this. Is there any way to delicately press them to extract the deliciously infused product without oxidising the beer?

Brownsworthy said:
C'mon Kelsey! You've spent plenty of bloody time restoring that reel mower to have a perfect lawn but you've neglected the bloody edges.
Now do yourself a favour and get the bloody wipper snipper out and tidy that up!
yeah I really have to get those sorted lol. It's bloody nutgrass, the shit grows like crazy.

fdsaasdf said:
I've never used fresh whole cones but have wondered about this. Is there any way to delicately press them to extract the deliciously infused product without oxidising the beer?
I am challenged with this thought too. As well as seeing all that yellow Lupulin still left in the flowers of the dry hop leftovers.
I may go chef more and chop them up instead of leaving them whole? To get more value out of those laboured hops etc.
It would have to be pretty darn sanitary chopping though (sanitary knife and chopping surface) and I don't want to blitz or blend them in any of my kitchen machines either. All that sticky yellow resin that's not going in your beer would be hard to clean off I imagine.

I use dried hops, never used wet hops directly in a beer, only via an ice extract process. Will be doing a wet hop harvest beer this season though.

I dry hop with flowers using a hop bag with a heap of marbles to keep the bag submerged. Never attempted to squeeze the bag. After the first time i brewed extra to account for the loss.

I put commercial pellets in a bag for the dry hop in the only IPA I have made. sank straight to the bottom and stayed there. was a tasty beer, but nowhere near as hoppy as 100g dry hop should have effected.

Dunno if it's the same for flowers, but now I only dry hop loose and cold crash to stop them going down the bottling tube.

Home from work today to find this. Feel like a proud parent.
IMG_1082.JPG

So turns out my crop had a large infestation of downy mildew. I've sprayed with copper and culled a lot of the infected plant but wish I had known about this earlier. Many of the laterals have been stunted and the cones also, damnit.

Bugger. Mine haven't had this problem so far, either this season or last season. My Hallertau plant has finally decided to sprout some laterals and is looking pretty good at the moment. I think it's enjoying its new bigger home this year. Minimal flowers but I won't be harvesting them anyway as there are only a handful on it. I'll wait until it starts producing what I'd expect to be the actual flowering before worrying about harvest.

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

Rocker1986 said:
Bugger. Mine haven't had this problem so far, either this season or last season. My Hallertau plant has finally decided to sprout some laterals and is looking pretty good at the moment. I think it's enjoying its new bigger home this year. Minimal flowers but I won't be harvesting them anyway as there are only a handful on it. I'll wait until it starts producing what I'd expect to be the actual flowering before worrying about harvest.
Those laterals will produce plenty of flowers in time, you may surprised on the size of your crop this year.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to get what I got off it last year and that was just a first year plant in a pot, so I'm expecting more this year given it is in a bigger home and can grow higher and it's a second year. How much more I'm not sure, but I'll find out in time of course. Looking forward to seeing what it does produce though.

DrSmurto said:
I use dried hops, never used wet hops directly in a beer, only via an ice extract process. Will be doing a wet hop harvest beer this season though.

I dry hop with flowers using a hop bag with a heap of marbles to keep the bag submerged. Never attempted to squeeze the bag. After the first time i brewed extra to account for the loss.
Any infection issues dry hoping with home grown flowers good doctor?

Also, the first burrs have just appeared on my Chinook and Mt Hood. Cascade starting to throw a few laterals and the goldings is falling well behind.

AJ80 said:
Any infection issues dry hoping with home grown flowers good doctor?

Also, the first burrs have just appeared on my Chinook and Mt Hood. Cascade starting to throw a few laterals and the goldings is falling well behind.
No different to commercial hops so no, never had an infection from dry hopping.

Just the reassurance I was looking for. Thanks!

I've noticed that burrs are only growing higher up, on my EKG they only start about 6' and up... will they grow lower later on? Seems like alot of wasted plant at the moment....

That sounds about right. My Hallertau plant only really grew flowers in the top half of it last year although there were the odd small groups of flowers lower down.

That's why you generally need over 2m of height. Many hops don't produce laterals below that point. However, not all. My Victoria has them down to about 1m. Be interesting to see whether those ones produce.

Mardoo said:
That's why you generally need over 2m of height. Many hops don't produce laterals below that point. However, not all. My Victoria has them down to about 1m. Be interesting to see whether those ones produce.
It's not height, it's the length of the bines. Grow them along the ground and they'll happily produce cones on the ground. Like most climbing plants, they also make a great ground cover. The cones grown on the ground tend to get less sunlight so are often pale and lacking lupilin. Cones grown on upright bines are exposed to more sunlight and grow better.

Or grow dwarf hops.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back