2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
125Kg of Pearl confirmed. If we want/need more, I'll need to know ASAP so I can fiddle with CB inventory.

If we need extras from the CB inventory (ie. Crystal), let me know ASAP the type/manufacturer/EBC etc. so I can adjust things & reserve them from general sale.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463572719.398923.jpg
Brewed the swap beer today, cubed and cooling as we speak. Specially ordered yeast spooling up and rearing to go.

For any of you that make ESBs do you have any suggestions for cube hops for the beer we make on the day? I've been doing heaps of APAs and AIPAs lately so I don't want to do another one.
Heading to cheeky peak this weekend for some supplies.

VP Brewing said:
For any of you that make ESBs do you have any suggestions for cube hops for the beer we make on the day? I've been doing heaps of APAs and AIPAs lately so I don't want to do another one.
Depends what you would like to shoot for. EKG/Fuggles would give more typical flavouring, but something like NS/Motueka/Galaxy would land you closer to HH ESB. Then there is a myriad of options in between.

VP Brewing said:
challenger and styrian goldings play well together

& EKG plays well with crystal (malt).

EKG & challenger for me!

In fact, I'd argue to target something a bit lower for the kettle hops - like ~20 IBUs.
So then I can shove more hops onto my cube and get a bit more pop from my cube additions.

So 95% Pearl + 5% med Crystal (or heritage?!) at ~1.060
~30 IBUs of magnum as FWH, plus ~10-15 IBUs into the cube.

So for each 21L cube, that's the equivalent of:
5.225kg Pearl + 275g med Crystal;
20g magnum at FWH then
20g each of EKG & challenger into the cube.
Then dilute it out to (up to) 25L, gives OG=1.050, 38 IBUs, & 16 EBC.
Or keep it at 1.060 & go hard.

Throw some 1469 onto it.
Good times.

Edit: assumes 75% mash efficiency, main sacch step at 65*c.

Crunch-time gents...

125Kg of Pearl confirmed (courtesy of CB's recent BB).

If we want CB to provide the crystal as well, I'm gonna need a consensus on what type & how much, so I can cook the books & buy at staff-discount rates.

Otherwise, it's a case of "everyone bring something & we'll all chuck it in for fun" (which I personally don't have a problem with - we're just making beer whilst everything else happens & what we get is what we get...).

CB can't supply the hops, so this is something we need to get a handle-on & resolve between us ASAP & get locked-in to avoid problems on the day.

Yob has already offered to contribute some Magnum, but we'll need to confirm amounts & AA's to get the IBU's in the right ballpark. The amounts will need calculating. I've got a shitload of bittering stuff that I'm happy to donate for nix.

Whilst this is always a heap of fun to do on the fly, we're not at home to Mr Clusterfuck!

I've got at least 1kg of Dark Crystal I can contribute. I like the idea of bring something and chuck it in, although I'm impartial to which way we go!

Will check stocks and post back.

OK, if you two guys contribute that lot (DJ - can you confirm the type/EBC & amount of dark Crystal you've got available) & I up it to 150Kg of Pearl, we're in the ballpark of around 1070 & 20 EBC.

I'll rummage around in the freezer for bittering hops & see what I come up with.

I have a few kilo of dark crystal I can bring up, to have in reserve if needed.

MartinOC said:
OK, if you two guys contribute that lot (DJ - can you confirm the type/EBC & amount of dark Crystal you've got available) & I up it to 150Kg of Pearl, we're in the ballpark of around 1070 & 20 EBC.

I'll rummage around in the freezer for bittering hops & see what I come up with.
Wasn't I bringing Magnum? Just tell me how much.

Yob said:
Wasn't I bringing Magnum? Just tell me how much.
I seem to remember you were supplying "some", but it was short of what we'd need. I'm calculating 750g @ 10.5% will give us about 37 IBU's. 800g will nudge 40 IBU's.

kunfaced said:
i've got 20kg of JW crystal i need to use up
What EBC? For simplicity, it would make sense to use one type than several.

Edit: Added two IBU alternatives to give folks an idea & plan their own cube-hop additions on the day.

I used 10.5% as it was the 2014-crop Magnum listed on the HDA website.

@ 13.2% will give:

600g ~ 37 IBU's
650g ~ 40 IBU
700g ~ 43.5 IBU
750g ~ 47 IBU

I reckon aim for 37 & let folks make their own increased IBU choices & additions from there. We can always add, but not take away....

Latest posts

Back