2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is just a curiosity question here, the 6 rhizomes that I got from Hoppy2b have all sprouted a couple of bines, which seem to appear wherever they want around the surface of the pot.

The cascade rhizome that I got from diggers club arrived with 1 bine already poking it's head out and I just noticed yesterday that it looks like there are a load more bines about to shoot from the same place. Does this mean I got lucky and was sent a crown from the diggers club? or is it to do with the orientation when planting?

Cheers, Matt

Yeah it's definitely the strongest plant, all the others have had one or two bines wither and die, but the cascade has always looked nice and dark green and healthy.... I guess I should post a photo really!

Matplat said:
The cascade rhizome that I got from diggers club arrived with 1 bine already poking it's head out and I just noticed yesterday that it looks like there are a load more bines about to shoot from the same place. Does this mean I got lucky and was sent a crown from the diggers club? or is it to do with the orientation when planting?
One of my cascades from diggers is also throwing multiple bines. I never looked at the zome cos i just popped the existing soil out of the tube and whacked it in the ground, but they must be quite generous with them.

Got home from work today to discover a bird has dug up my chinook rhizome entirely. The one bine it had sprouted is now looking quite limp after an afternoon in the sun. Have dug it back in, given it a solid water and crossed all my fingers. This was the variety I was looking forward to the most. Grr.

AJ80 said:
Got home from work today to discover a bird has dug up my chinook rhizome entirely. The one bine it had sprouted is now looking quite limp after an afternoon in the sun. Have dug it back in, given it a solid water and crossed all my fingers. This was the variety I was looking forward to the most. Grr.
I have a spare Chinook rhizome in pot ready to plant if you can pick up from Belgrave, VIC if you want it.

Surprised that my (unintentional) grass beds actually have hops visible among and above the weeds,... and much taller than the beds from which I have cultivated and removed grasses. Photos soon - promise!

Good to see so many plants starting to take off.

I have an EKG and a Cascade that are a first year and taking off both with about 6-7 shoots and looking really healthy. Ive read that some ppl prune and leave only 3-4 to climb, being first year rhizomes what are your thoughts on this?

What part of aus are you in bottleo ?

That chinook looks great , be happy to get a few like that this year

Was that one in a pot or in the ground ?

Spohaw said:
What part of aus are you in bottleo ?

That chinook looks great , be happy to get a few like that this year

Was that one in a pot or in the ground ?
In the ground mate

AJ80 said:
come round and grab part of mine if you like, it's escaping out of the garden bed.. fookin thing is everywhere :ph34r:

Belgrave Brewer & Yob: cheers for the very generous offer, really appreciate it. Unfortunately, time commitments and geography will mean I'm probably not going to able to get to either of your places in the coming days. Thanks though! At the risk of sounding sappy, this really is a great community of fellow Brewers.

In happier news, the one tiny chinook bine is looking a little more perky today, but I'm not confident it'll hold out...at least the other 3 varieties are doing well. In a surprise coincidence, it looks like a cat has ripped apart a starling or mynah bird in the backyard today. Karma wins.

MartinOC said:
Holy ****!

What have I let myself in-for?? I'm just a hop-growing virgin...

I've got several varieties growing (at different rates) atm & it looks like they're going to take over the space I have...Erk!!!

They will take over your garden mate. This was from a few seasons ago and they only get more weed like each year. Currently the first bines are just reaching the top of the trellis (3m in height) and I've only just switched on the irrigation system for the first time this season. Always amazes me how much growth you get each year.

IMG_4268_zpsa6a270d0.jpg

i lost two tips off my bines (of about 6)... maybe a bird?

Overall, the plant isn't shooting up real quick anymore. Sort of looks like its stunted a bit after a promising start. I'll keep the watering up and chuck a bit more coffee grind on there (they loved that).

DrSmurto said:
They will take over your garden mate. This was from a few seasons ago and they only get more weed like each year. Currently the first bines are just reaching the top of the trellis (3m in height) and I've only just switched on the irrigation system for the first time this season. Always amazes me how much growth you get each year.

IMG_4268_zpsa6a270d0.jpg
How many tonnes of dried weight do you get each year Smurto?! :lol:

Well this is my "plantation" at the moment :lol:. I only got rhizomes yesterday and stuck them straight into a pot each, Hallertau on left, Fuggle on right. The mesh is there to stop turkeys digging them up. Will move them/set up something for them to climb on when they start showing growth.

12196326_10208329361460244_3033005450734047014_n.jpg

All hops up and running this year (2nd year). Perle the leader of the pack, then the cascades. Also have a P.O.R, and some chinook. Even if i get a similar yield to last year i'll be stoked. Couldn't believe the 1st year crop these gave me.

MartinOC said:
Now I'm getting just plain scared!!! :blink:
Think 'Day of the Triffids'. Start building your bunker now.

Nizmoose said:
How many tonnes of dried weight do you get each year Smurto?! :lol:
Too much. The last time i kept a record was the 2014 crop which was a tad over 2kg dry. This season I let fellow homebrewers take all they could pick.

Here are the hops as of today.

Victoria - already at the top of the 3m trellis.

Chinook, always gives Victoria a head start but will overtake it before beginning world domination.

Chinook from the reverse angle. I have rhizomes planted on both sides of the fence.

No pruning, tipping, cutting back of bines. No fertilising during the growing season, although they do get covered in 10-15cm of horse manure in winter. They do what they want and reward my lack of care with more hops than i can use. I do water them though, they are on the vegie patch irrigation system so as often as i water the tomatoes, the hops get a drink. The first plant went in 8 years ago so well established now.

Latest posts

Back