2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridges said:
Seem to be going OK so set up some ropes to a tree with some bungy cord up top to allow some give. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes.
attachicon.gif
hops.jpg
OK, Bridges, 'fess-up....How the hell did you get the bungee cord & stuff so far up the tree???

Would there be any varieties that would grow alright in Brisbane? Probably too late to bother planting anything this year and I don't have anything to plant... but if there are any that would do well up here I wouldn't mind having a crack next year maybe. I have plenty of mesh type shit that could be used for them to climb up.

MartinOC said:
OK, Bridges, 'fess-up....How the hell did you get the bungee cord & stuff so far up the tree???
Knotted a tennis ball into a lighter rope. Chucked it over the branch then dragged up the bungee and ropes I'd pre fabbed on the ground. Simple.

It took me all afternoon and some swearing...

Yob said:
Mate, they'll get a lot of reflected heat off that tin
NikZak said:
Damn, I didn't think of that...
Me neither. I have a heap up against my tin shed (was hoping it would grow over it) - will see how it goes, otherwise, moving them next year =)

goatus said:
Me neither. I have a heap up against my tin shed (was hoping it would grow over it) - will see how it goes, otherwise, moving them next year =)
didn't affect my fast growing varieties last year because they grew so fast and shaded the fence before the hotter temps kicked in:p

BottloBill said:
didn't affect my fast growing varieties last year because they grew so fast and shaded the fence before the hotter temps kicked in:p
So should I move it or leave it? Leaving it appeals to the lazy in me but moving it appeals to the green thumb in me

Had to replace 1 Cascade crown with a 2 year old Cascade, and, 1 Chinook rhizome and 2 Victoria rhizomes that did not survive transplant. The Cascade crown was still alive but had no nodes...not sure if it will grow nodes again or not but stuck it in a pot for the time being. Started cleaning up the field so I can slash, weed and mulch. Irrigation is in place and water capturing roof/shed and water tank are in place just in time for this rain. I pumped water up from the dam in the meantime. I'll start cladding the shed on the weekend. Need to start working on the work platform for harvest and to add the aisle wires for next year, sort out the drying room, and turn the cool room into a freezer. It won't be a bumper crop this year, but may have a harvest party and give fresh hops to those who want to come up and help harvest.

hopfield.jpg

irrigation.jpg

shed.jpg

6324a58c35cb5bf85e4d2f23d37cf18e.jpg

The training lines for my PORs
b9874ea78490a3c6be4f1aef6d401f03.jpg

Where the lines end, on the electrical mains. If there is a short then at least the hops are earthed :)
3fde0068d26fb2604ca583f2d87016b0.jpg

One of my POR (thanks to princeimperial) training up the twine.

f6627a06ade99329c9a712b00ebdfd7f.jpg

Cascade I'm going to grow onto trellis, and then rope it to the house somehow. I've got two more of these around the garden, all first years broken apart from the mother crown I ripped when I moved house. The area where this is planted has lots of other stuff around it, but I had to prep the shit out of soil. Was only maybe a foot before I hit solid clay, and then it was full of all of this crap too..
37df4fae015cd9ae6eefef08b0cd3176.jpg

My mother in law was wondering why her lavender wouldn't grow in this area. There were a few dozen paving tiles under there too, but they get some use.

Curly79 said:
How you gunna harvest them BB?
Probably drop them and hand pick. A few varieties, so it may happen over several days. I have a few months to work it out. Have a bit for a fresh harvest ale and dry the rest, vacuum seal and freeze.

NikZak said:
So should I move it or leave it? Leaving it appeals to the lazy in me but moving it appeals to the green thumb in me
I don't have mine growing towards my fence, but they are about a foot and a half away from it and don't cop the sun all day either.

Bill, maybe your hops will reach max height and flower early, although I find Chinook to finish later in the season. Say, March harvest. They gonna get mighty tall, bro...

My Chinook is only recently popping out of the ground, possibly due to low watering up until now and over Winter. Pics to come...

Les the Weizguy said:
Bill, maybe your hops will reach max height and flower early, although I find Chinook to finish later in the season. Say, March harvest. They gonna get mighty tall, bro...

My Chinook is only recently popping out of the ground, possibly due to low watering up until now and over Winter. Pics to come...
They where quite strong last season and last up out of the ground, they where also the last up this season with the exception of my Hersbrucker. I have an extension for the trellis but won't be able to get it up before they hits the top.

Out of curiosity, should I expect much of a harvest from hops which only get ~6hrs (morning) sunlight a day? Being on the eastern side of the house, they don't see any sun past midday unfortunately.

sponge said:
Out of curiosity, should I expect much of a harvest from hops which only get ~6hrs (morning) sunlight a day? Being on the eastern side of the house, they don't see any sun past midday unfortunately.
sponge these are my last season/ first season plants on approximately 6 hours a day and harvested several kilo over a 1 month period.

1445760316585.jpg

Holy ****!

What have I let myself in-for?? I'm just a hop-growing virgin...

I've got several varieties growing (at different rates) atm & it looks like they're going to take over the space I have...Erk!!!

MartinOC said:
Holy ****!

What have I let myself in-for?? I'm just a hop-growing virgin...

I've got several varieties growing (at different rates) atm & it looks like they're going to take over the space I have...Erk!!!
haha! Took me 6 months to realise I still had a garden shed and a house next door

Latest posts

Back