2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wide's method sounds the easiest and most fool proof tbh

Mines all trial and error this year as it's only my second year actually growing hops haha

I've probably got to move before hop harvest time so I figured I'd try focus on propagation this year

wide eyed and legless said:
If as we see in these posts growers are cutting off the excess bines, instead of cutting them off bend them and either peg them in to the ground where leaves have sprouted, those leaves will then turn into roots, like with spuds, you build up the soil covering the leaves and those leaves will turn into roots which will bear more spuds.
If everybody did this with their bines there would be heaps of rhizomes to be had next year and its easy to do, Spohaw's method of the cuttings is a bit more complicated using hormone powder or rooting gel but that is how the commercial growers multiply their stocks.
Thanks a lot for this, how long would you let the bine get before doing so??

I've used this method for propagating other plants and I just wait until it's obvious that the plant has established itself and has lots of new leaves. At that point I usually cut it from the main plant but leave it in the same pot for a little while longer to make sure it's going good by itself then pot up when I have the time.

One out of three that's starting

1444725207126.jpg

Nizmoose said:
Thanks a lot for this, how long would you let the bine get before doing so??
As soon as you can bury part of the stem.

Simple Layering
Most plants with low growing branches or stems, such as vines and woody shrubs, take well to simple layering. Use a dormant branch in early spring or a mature branch in late summer.
Bend a flexible, low-growing branch to the ground and place it in a small hole about 4-inches deep. Remove leaves and side-shoots from the portion of the branch that will be buried and cover it with soil. You may need to place a rock on top of the soil to hold the branch underground. It is important to leave at least 6-12 inches of the branch tip out of the soil and stake it upright to keep it growing straight — this will be the top portion of your new plant!
Usually, the bend in the buried portion of the branch is enough to encourage rooting, but by scraping, or wounding, the bark on its underside, you can help speed rooting along. Keep the layered area moist and free of weeds and within a season or two a root mass will have developed. Cut the layered section from the plant and it’s ready for transplanting.

I'm an hour away from returning home to my hops after an 8 day sojourn, hopefully they've grown a bit and even more hopefully my mate has been watering them as promised.

Looks great.. My second year Chinook (possible a cascade, as it got mixed up) has just taken off. Had a tough start to life last season and got no yield. Seems stronger this time around. Heaps of nodes/shoots which I'll trim once it takes off a little more..

Looking forward to finally getting some cones!

DSC_0165.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgfsfa0l7289not/DSC_0165.JPG?dl=0

wide eyed and legless said:
As soon as you can bury part of the stem.

Simple Layering
Most plants with low growing branches or stems, such as vines and woody shrubs, take well to simple layering. Use a dormant branch in early spring or a mature branch in late summer.
Bend a flexible, low-growing branch to the ground and place it in a small hole about 4-inches deep. Remove leaves and side-shoots from the portion of the branch that will be buried and cover it with soil. You may need to place a rock on top of the soil to hold the branch underground. It is important to leave at least 6-12 inches of the branch tip out of the soil and stake it upright to keep it growing straight — this will be the top portion of your new plant!
Usually, the bend in the buried portion of the branch is enough to encourage rooting, but by scraping, or wounding, the bark on its underside, you can help speed rooting along. Keep the layered area moist and free of weeds and within a season or two a root mass will have developed. Cut the layered section from the plant and it’s ready for transplanting.
brilliant thanks for this really useful!

Came back from Bathurst and boom plenty of new bines and growth all round except my Cascade and potted Goldings.

1444789267067.jpg

1444789293820.jpg

1444789314082.jpg

1444789332280.jpg

Little hop from seed is growing slowly ..... Hope it flowers this year so I can see if it's a male it a female .... Hope it a male !!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1444812601.827207.jpg

Mt Hood continues to reach for the sky, putting on around 10cm per day.

3 small Goldings bines poking through the mulch now.

Cascade and Chinook finally have one bine each just starting to emerge.

Progress.

Baby Goldings

gallery_14620_1279_79386.jpg

Tardif de Bourgogne planted last year on the site of an old compost heap. Twine attached to a big-ass Photinia (yeah I knew there was a use for those things).

gallery_14620_1279_92568.jpg
/

There's also a Cascade in size between these two but the photo angles didn't work out.

Not sure how to make the images smaller any advice would be appreciated.

You can have a few on the one string mate. Just remember they get pretty bushy and heavy later on in the season. Make sure your strings can handle it.

Finally some progress!

Hop trellises up, and some good growth happening.

Trellis, just shy of 5m each:
1445149309565.jpg

Cascade:
1445149326019.jpg

And Chinook, the couple of bines continuing out of shot are up around head height.
1445149359574.jpg

Oh yeah, there is a super alpha out the front climbing over the roof...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445150860.566887.jpg

Put the bamboo poles and strings up for the victoria today. Cascade Cluster Chinook and Goldings all got dug up and rearranged last winter so not expecting much from them this year

Latest posts

Back