2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
What are you planning for harvest time mate?
I'm hoping to have my first harvest ale released. Will dry, vacuum seal and freeze the rest. I don't expect a huge crop in the first year.

Swmbo put her plant next to my hops so it would get watered, it's now the cutting propagation pot for my Victoria

1443832161924.jpg

Hop-growing virgin!!

DSCN1350.JPG

Goldings crown (courtesy of Mardoo).

DSCN1351.JPG

Mt Hood (multiple 'zomes in the tub, courtesy of Mardoo).

I have a single Fuggles zome (courtesy of Mardoo - can anyone see a pattern forming here??) in another tub that has shown a single shoot since planting, so I didn't take any piccies of it.

This growth is just 2 weeks from breaking the surface! OMG!!!

Now the question for the cognoscenti:

First year growth. Do I cut anything back, or let them all go? The Mt Hood are multiple 'zomes in the one pot & I don't want to destroy a shoot that may be the only one the zome has produced so far.

Next step is to get some pegs in the soil & start training them to grow all over the kiddie-fort they're next to....

old.JPG

Image posted a week and a half ago.

1.5 weeks.JPG

As at today.. I should also mention I cut about 20 bines off that a few days ago :blink:

6 Cascade going well
Got twine up for them now
6 Chinnook going slow At right end of plot
Twine going up for them next week
Got a couple of each in pots too
Auto watering drip feeders
Pots on the left are lime and Avo other 4 are hops
IMG_0598 (640x480).jpg

MartinOC said:
Hop-growing virgin!!

attachicon.gif
DSCN1350.JPG

attachicon.gif
DSCN1351.JPG

I have a single Fuggles zome (courtesy of Mardoo - can anyone see a pattern forming here??) in another tub that has shown a single shoot since planting, so I didn't take any piccies of it.

First year growth. Do I cut anything back, or let them all go? The Mt Hood are multiple 'zomes in the one pot & I don't want to destroy a shoot that may be the only one the zome has produced so far.

Next step is to get some pegs in the soil & start training them to grow all over the kiddie-fort they're next to....
Just remember that they die off at the end of the season, so whatever they grow up onto, you have to cut it away/off (or it gives the kids something to do)

Edit.. probably should answer your question too.

it is recommended that you cut back the first growth and then allow the second coming to grow but keep it to 3-5 (from memory) bines, so the plant can focus the nutrients into a few strong ones, therefore increasing yield. For your first year I wouldn't worry about it too much and most likely your yield won't be very big, therefore not worth worrying about. just enjoy watching it grow and research for next year when your yield is likely to be better.

MartinOC said:
Hop-growing virgin!!

attachicon.gif
DSCN1350.JPG

attachicon.gif
DSCN1351.JPG

ever heard of mulch? :p (minimum inch, 2 better)

Rob.P said:
Just remember that they die off at the end of the season, so whatever they grow up onto, you have to cut it away/off (or it gives the kids something to do)

Edit.. probably should answer your question too.

it is recommended that you cut back the first growth and then allow the second coming to grow but keep it to 3-5 (from memory) bines, so the plant can focus the nutrients into a few strong ones, therefore increasing yield. For your first year I wouldn't worry about it too much and most likely your yield won't be very big, therefore not worth worrying about. just enjoy watching it grow and research for next year when your yield is likely to be better.
I would be less inclined to remove all growth from a first year plant, its likely to only have a few nodes. Snip any weaker looking ones, sure but keep as many as you can keep water up to... which will be a LOT of water (and often) in those pots.

set up an automatic line if you can Martin, I have now and I must say Im a very happy man for it.

Yob said:
ever heard of mulch? :p (minimum inch, 2 better)

I would be less inclined to remove all growth from a first year plant, its likely to only have a few nodes. Snip any weaker looking ones, sure but keep as many as you can keep water up to... which will be a LOT of water (and often) in those pots.

set up an automatic line if you can Martin, I have now and I must say Im a very happy man for it.
Yeah, I'll be getting some mulch today.

OK, thanks. Judicious snippage to follow.

The plan is to get a 200L drum & put it up on the platform, set up with a drip-feed system. I'll fill the drum from my bore (good for 5000l/day), so plenty of water available.

I'm currently renting guys and aim to buy some brick grips and hang the vines from the side of the house to avoid drilling holes which i'm not allowed to do :(
My Saaz, Perle, Hersbrucker and Hallertauer are cranking at the moment so will aim to have the brick grips up in a week or two and hopefully my first ever season growing will be a good one. Will add pictures tomorrow night

Did the recent hot spell in melbs make anyone else's hops go gangbusters? My super alpha grew about about a meter over Sunday and Monday, had been sitting around 30cm earlier in the week and now it's over my head.

Chinook had only just poked through and got a quick burst of growth.

Cascade?... Cascade?!... Hello?! Wake up you lazy bugger!

Two days over 30 and now back to jumper and beanie weather. I think mine have chucked a U-Turn and are heading back underground

moved house this year. Ripped up and divided my cascade with my mate a couple of months ago. One has maybe a foot of growth and the other is just a few inches. I'll try to get a photo of my mates, it's gone ape shit. It has bines over 1m tall now. Also planted a few POR rhizomes last week, thanks to Imperial Prince. They are already shooting too. Those few days of sun were spectacular for the entire garden.

My cascade was from bunnings a few years back

Back