2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems a lot different to my garden, where the bines are all under about 40 cm and some are still just poking out of the ground before elongating toward the sky.
Cascade has not done well in this plot in the last 3 seasons
Cascade3_30_10.jpg
Mt Hood starting to stretch
Mt Hood3_30_10.jpg
not much visible in photos for Hallertau and Herbrucker, but here's the Perle in the grassy plot.
Perle03-30-10.jpg

Mine are tiny:( I must be doing something wrong.

Well mine is doing ok I think. Victoria reaching for the strings with a couple of new ones tied to an adjoining tree

1446342169800.jpg

Chinook going nuts and now training it horizontally. I also found my Hersbrucker on a turbo trip and had to knock up another trampoline pole trellis

1446350072193.jpg

1446350123757.jpg

1446350151798.jpg

1446350163067.jpg

BottloBill said:
Chinook going nuts and now training it horizontally. I also found my Hersbrucker on a turbo trip and had to knock up another trampoline pole trellis
Great idea BottloBill I have some of those poles laying around since the netting on our trampoline decided to disintegrate :) My Red Earth is starting to take off now, I'll have to put up a photo next weekend. I've never seen any of my hops take off like that Hersbrucker that's impressive!

Wort said:
Great idea BottloBill I have some of those poles laying around since the netting on our trampoline decided to disintegrate :) My Red Earth is starting to take off now, I'll have to put up a photo next weekend. I've never seen any of my hops take off like that Hersbrucker that's impressive!
Cheers Wort! The Hersbrucker was the same last season, sat there doing nothing for nearly half the season then exploded in to life. The pic attached is her last season, not a large bine but is excellent yielding.

1446356040542.jpg

how many bines are you guys keeping per plant? i thought 4 was the go but everyone seems to be keeping all the bines?

Everest said:
how many bines are you guys keeping per plant? i thought 4 was the go but everyone seems to be keeping all the bines?
I've gone for 5 and I have been clipping the new growth and planting it in another pot, had a few of the cuttings take too.

I've just powdered the goldings as something seems to have been eating it the last couple of days, but have chinook (around the window), cascade (front door) and goldings (over the fence) growing pretty well at the moment. Goldings are throwing out heaps of laterals but only one bine. All first years.

1446362069673.jpg

1446362080946.jpg

1446362094667.jpg

1446362138045.jpg

I snipped all but 3 bines on my Red Earth and since I cut it back to 3 it started growing stronger and I've let another bine live that showed some vigour.

I put 12 of the snipped bines in propagation mix in a little mini green house for seedlings after dipping them in purple rooting gel and I think all but 1 or 2 are going strong, I've got little white roots poking out the bottom after 3 - 4 weeks.

Last season I got a measly 9 grams off the Red Earth I'm hoping for more this season it's looking much better being the second year! I'm a little worried about peoples descriptions of these hops in the hop forum thou, talk of onion smells has me wondering if I'm wasting my time. Hopefully I can add my own comments in there when I get a decent harvest. They smelt pretty good to me last season but I don't have the best nose for smells.

Everest said:
I let them all grow. Cutting early shooting bines seems to be more about commercial single harvest rather than a home garden solution. Happy to harvest in stages, requires less room in the drying racks.

DrSmurto said:
I let them all grow. Cutting early shooting bines seems to be more about commercial single harvest rather than a home garden solution. Happy to harvest in stages, requires less room in the drying racks.
And by the looks of things you know what your doing, those hops are impressive! Maybe I'll take it a bit easier on mine in the future :)

Everest said:
I am going for whatever wants to climb. 2nd season Cascades (from diggers) have multiple! vines. 6 to 12, bakers dozen?
These 1st season rysolmes of Chinook and Victoria started of hastily and early in winter that got me excited but now they are stunted at the moment with one vine each. The Cascade is spreading feral!

Mine have come up and going nuts at the moment. (Photos coming soon). Third year in now.

The trouble is, I have 3 Chinook and 2 Cascades planted in a row behind a green house, which is more or less just a caged off vege garden made of cyclone fencing material. Just to keep the birds and the cows out. They grow up the sides and intermingle, so by the time it comes to pickign them I don't know which is which. Never mind. I plucked about 150g last year (dehydrated weight). Brewed with them, intense grapefruit! Obviously the Chinook is the dominant hop.

Question is, how long do the plants live for? As in how many years am I going to keep harvesting? I cant seem to find the answer to that question online...

It's a perennial so it can live for however long you want it to I guess... perennial just means a plant that lives for more than two years. So I guess it's open ended really.

Phoney said:
Question is, how long do the plants live for? As in how many years am I going to keep harvesting? I cant seem to find the answer to that question online...
Bear in mind that they grow from a rhizome.

Bracken/ferns also grow from rhizomes & some in Europe have been catalogued at over 1000 years old, so they seem to be self-perpetuating.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem as long as they're looked-after....

Back