2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hop-mergency! We are under attack!

Caught a tiny green catapillar munching on my hops + little black things on the backs of leaves. Are they both bad guys? Suggestions to make them suffer?

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

hop3.jpg

Dipel. Catapillar killer. Easy to get a yates variety off the shelf. Its only harmfull to catapillars. I have some new hops coming along poorly that look a lot worse than that. Not sure what hit them. I also have some second season Cascade going strong and looking invincible and perfect condition. Its weird this season over all vegies etc. Everything keeps going to flower and seed too early I hope that doesn't happen with the hops too. :unsure:

Im more concerned about the little black things - they hold on tight to the leaf, gave the leaves a spray with pest oil (citrus oil i think), and they wouldnt wash off easy.

You cant fix what's already effected. You can only prevent what ever it is from spreading onto all new growth. Trim off leaves that are really bad, all for the new growth. That's basically how I see it. The black dots I've never had but is it scale? or something, Catapillar shit? Look it up its all out there. Best asset is observation, then asses, Then treat.
I think if it washed off it was probably Caterpillar shit. :)

goatus said:
Hop-mergency! We are under attack!

Caught a tiny green catapillar munching on my hops + little black things on the backs of leaves. Are they both bad guys? Suggestions to make them suffer?
I was going to post similar pictures today! Some of my leaves have been munched and there are those black spots on some leaves, it's like tar, doesn't come off and no idea what it is. I removed a little Web and tiny spider, spider mite? Sprayed the hops with detergent and am praying the hops don't get obliterated

I think its catapillar poo. Several articles say you might see it hanging around, and it only appeared on the few leaves that were clearly catapillar munched.

Ill get some catapillar hellfire from the big green shed tomorrow and rain it down on them.

Cheers all.

28's have chewed the top off my one cascade that was growing well

I'm going to kill as many as I can now

Glove gun , ging and poisoned oats

Enough is enough

They did it last year as well

View attachment 84516

Got a blood and bone slurry I'll use to spray onto the growing tips too ......

Spohaw said:
28's have chewed the top off my one cascade that was growing well

I'm going to kill as many as I can now

Glove gun , ging and poisoned oats

Enough is enough

They did it last year as well

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446616521.086852.jpg

Got a blood and bone slurry I'll use to spray onto the growing tips too ......
are you going to put a notch in the pot for each confirmed kill?

Dudes you cant say your gonna kill those cute little animals. Anyway its the same as culling sharks. The maths just doesn't work. Deterrent is the only way, or barriers. So maybe just another 5lt sprayer with stinky manure blood and bone foliar spray. Yes, with some chilli too. I just found that a deterrent for that shitsyou neighbours dog. Spray up into the air and turns that bark into a cough. :lol: Makes me cough a little too though.

Back