2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MatC said:
Hi guys here's mine
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1426153918.529472.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1426153976.964150.jpg
snapping duck poo....best start picking Mat

Camo6 said:
Is that a good couch Curly? Be careful, as they dry they'll drop a heap of sticky, stinky golden goodness that'll please the missus no end!
Good point. Put some old blankets on the couch. Done. Thanks for the tip

Looking great guys. Anyone using freshly picked hops in brews?

just picked 630g of Perle from my first year plant.

Cascade should be ready in the next few days, only about 150g on it.

Perle.jpg

300g first year cascade... despite hail damage & small child trauma, there shall be beer!!!

Might even go into tomorrows brew. Currently hanging from the rafters in the shed.

Chinook is yet to come, looks to be around 3-4 times the amount of the cascade. This is a tasty hobby.

IMG_20150314_201329.jpg

IMG_20150314_201945.jpg

1.2kg from my 2nd year Cascade (140gm in the first year).

IMG_20150314_140141.jpg
IMG_20150314_151052.jpg
IMG_20150314_152443.jpg

I picked my 140g of Chinook the other day.

Question: What do you guys usually do with cones that have gone half brown, chuck em out or in?

Phoney said:
I picked my 140g of Chinook the other day.

Question: What do you guys usually do with cones that have gone half brown, chuck em out or in?
often wondered the same thing. I have thrown mine in cause when I checked them they still hold decent yellow goodness although I did discard a quarter of it.

What sort of dry weight are people getting from their hops?

My 300g wet went down to 85g in 3 days just hanging inside the shed, which is just south of 30%. Seemed pretty good at the time, so it's been bagged, tagged and tossed in the freezer.

Belated interweb trawl seemed to indicate 30% is on the money...

Wow thats some serious crops right there glenos, mofox1 and carniebrew

I picked the last of my hops last night. 255gms of Chinook which went straight into a hops sock, after being chopped up, and into my APA thats on day 4 of fermentation. I also got 350gms of Cascade to finish off the season.

mofox1 said:
What sort of dry weight are people getting from their hops?

My 300g wet went down to 85g in 3 days just hanging inside the shed, which is just south of 30%. Seemed pretty good at the time, so it's been bagged, tagged and tossed in the freezer.

Belated interweb trawl seemed to indicate 30% is on the money...
Thats about what I aimed for mofox1, around 30%. The cones were very papery and dry at that stage.

My freezer is now full. The Mrs isn't too impressed so I think i'll need to turn on the freezer in the shed and moves these guys out there. But she's certainly happy that there's nothing more to pick as I've spent a lot of time out there in the garden recently.

cgNa5O.jpg

I also tallied up my harvest for the year mainly to have something to compare to next year.

3 x Chinook – 827gms wet:169gms dry (355gms went straight into a brew)
Goldings – 405gms:149gms
Victoria – 340gms:174gms
2 x Cascade – 1247gms:258gms (180gms used wet and 330gms still drying)
Cluster – Nothing L

Total from 8 plants – 2.819kgs picked wet:750gms dry so far (with a little more still drying)

Scottsrx said:
My freezer is now full. The Mrs isn't too impressed so I think i'll need to turn on the freezer in the shed and moves these guys out there. But she's certainly happy that there's nothing more to pick as I've spent a lot of time out there in the garden recently.

cgNa5O.jpg

I also tallied up my harvest for the year mainly to have something to compare to next year.

3 x Chinook – 827gms wet:169gms dry (355gms went straight into a brew)
Goldings – 405gms:149gms
Victoria – 340gms:174gms
2 x Cascade – 1247gms:258gms (180gms used wet and 330gms still drying)
Cluster – Nothing L

Total from 8 plants – 2.819kgs picked wet:750gms dry so far (with a little more still drying)
That's amazing. I can hope for maybe 1kg wet, tops.

Still, first year plants, so looking forward to next year already! :lol:

this thread makes me depressed...

given i got 0 harvest this year... when should i cut down my plant? I plan on moving it from pot to ground in its new location in about 2 months.. Should i wait until then so its got a better chance ?

Wait until the bines are dying off. The hop rhizome is said to take back nutrients from the bines, to use during the winter dormant period and to get going again in spring.

leighaus said:
this thread makes me depressed...

given i got 0 harvest this year... when should i cut down my plant? I plan on moving it from pot to ground in its new location in about 2 months.. Should i wait until then so its got a better chance ?
Dang.

I gave mine a heap of chook poo, some mushroom compost and some mostly decayed mulch matter, all mixed in with the soil I dug out for the hole.

Could have picked a sunnier spot, but once they were high enough to get sun most of the day they went nuts.

Better luck next year!

Edit: which doesn't actually answer your questions... Sorry.

Stopped in to a Hop farm last week where a mate worked years ago as a picker, the owner was kind enough to donate 900grms (beer carton full) of Topaz! I just have to give him a bottle of the brew, easy.
I had a look through the sheds where the hops are stripped from the bines and the drying kilns, the smell was all time.
But what stood out for me was the owners sneakers and the fact they were totally yellow with Lupin.

IMG_1868 (960x1280).jpg

IMG_1865 (1280x960).jpg

mofox1 said:
Itchy bastards, aren't they? But my god, I smell like an IPA :)

Half the Chinook picked, will get the rest tomorrow.
Quoting myself again...

Finished the Chinook pickings.. and damn Yob - I got 1.3kg wet off those three 'zomes I grabbed off ya. First year, single trellis.

Hope I gave you a decent beer for 'em, forget what it was.

Had to upgrade from the hanging wire basket thingy - 3m of swiss voile hanging from the rafters...

IMG_20150321_181123.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back