2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria going pretty good now, seems to be throwing long laterals? Is this normal? Do they need supporting? Just seems less bushy compared to other peoples photos

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420962483.738987.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420962514.622792.jpg

Do they need extra support lines? Or will the whole plant just get bushier?

The magic had just begun here in Tas. Burrs are just starting to form. One of my favourite spots on the farm is amongst my hop yard.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421105199.867285.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421105223.238177.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421105298.869214.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421105358.583910.jpg

Nice laterals beerfarmer. But jeez mate, the wombats have got long ears down your way.

Here are two of my three. Chinook on the left, Cascade on the right. Flowering has just started. Harvest is mid to late February. I grow them zig zag. Keeps them lower for picking and allows them their 6 or so meters before they want to flower. This works just right living in the highlands of NSW.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421143360.300492.jpg

Last year each variety ripened at different times but all that variety ripened together
I've noticed something a little different this year
there seems to be not only different levels of maturity within a variety, but different rates of maturity on the same bine!

Mostly Fuggles and cascade with a few super Alpha, Red Earth and a Hallertau

Good yield last year but they didn't get the TLC this year as I was away over Christmas so I'm keen to see how well they yield

IMG_5066.JPGIMG_5061.JPGIMG_5062.JPGIMG_5065.JPGIMG_5064.JPG

Must be beautiful on that veranda RAMPS. Good way to use an existing structure. :)

You're growing yours all wrong BEERFARMER. You should have a couple of overhead wires for each row to maximize your yields. But I suppose for an amateur its ok. :p

Well I almost killed them but I am so proud of these little fellas! They are just starting to climb, YAY. IMG_20150114_185717.jpgIMG_20150114_185654.jpg

So proud of my little ones.
20140607_133627.jpg

This is first year chinook early January in Canberra:

20150107_074138.jpg

20150107_074239.jpg

20150107_074303.jpg

Its been windy here the last few days and the growing tips have been snapped off my two main bines on my Perle, oh well hopefully I'll get more lateral growth, they were at 4 and 5m or there abouts.

MY first attempt at growing hops. Managed to get them in a little late but they survived. Huge thanks to Hoppy2B for the supply.

I've got Cascade, Chinook, Cluster, Victoria and Goldings.

The beginnings
PKGhEa.jpg

i1O8o9.jpg

In the ground and growing well
gp7DDb.jpg

As of today
Wtyrtd.jpg

f6CAjl.jpg

VtFqCi.jpg

And my first flower on the Chinook
LxZyr2.jpg

**Edit** I should add I'm situated in the Southern Fluerieu and water them twice a day with a fish emulsion/seaweed mix containing a lot of nitrogen. They get fed this once everday, approx 30-50mm in 9 litres. I also had been trimming smaller growth from down low to hopefully encourage more growth up higher.

Its a good idea to keep each variety 2 metres apart from other varieties to stop them growing into each other. You might have done that already but I thought it worth mentioning just in case.

hoppy2B said:
Its a good idea to keep each variety 2 metres apart from other varieties to stop them growing into each other. You might have done that already but I thought it worth mentioning just in case.
Thanks again hoppy2B. I didn't do that unfortunately, the big gap was meant for the 3 remaining Cascade that struggled. They're still in pots but still surviving.

I've now realised they should have been spread further apart as they are all over each other.

Yob said:
Geez Scott, the house could use some work ;)
Thanks Yob, thats next on the job list... but seriously she's a bit far gone otherwise I'd definitely be restoring it. It'll be seeing the bulldozer unfortunately but the stone will be used in the new house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back