2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
surly said:
Stumbled across this thread and thought I better check my 'zomes.
Been in the ground since last season, courtesy of Yob.

After clearing most of the grass, I discovered this. The Vic is looking enthusiastic.

Should I be trimming off most of those bines?
IMAG0125.jpg
I'd let them grow a bit, Surly. You can then choose the stronger looking bines and trim the weaker.

surly said:
Stumbled across this thread and thought I better check my 'zomes.
Been in the ground since last season, courtesy of Yob.
After clearing most of the grass, I discovered this. The Vic is looking enthusiastic.
Should I be trimming off most of those bines?
attachicon.gif
IMAG0125.jpg
I'd let it go mate, some will be better than others as it grows, select then if you wish.. That's a mad looking crown

Snap

I just bought a roll of baling twine the other day. I was gunna hammer in some big tent pegs and run my twine up off them. Checking every day but nothing sprouting yet. :( . We are generally a bit later in the season up here though. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Cheers Camo6 and Yob.

Happy to let the little fella thrive. The POR is also looking keen, though not quite as crazy as the Vic.
Looking forward to getting some use out of them this season :D.

surly said:
Cheers Camo6 and Yob.

Happy to let the little fella lady thrive. The POR is also looking keen, though not quite as crazy as the Vic.
Looking forward to getting some use out of them this season :D.

BottloBill said:
First time growing, had to cat proof and add some more sugar cane as I have just scattered what little amount that came with them:)
update time for my Cascade, Hersbrucker & Goldings...Big shout out to a fellow AHB'er and Novacastrian for allowing me to adopt some of his girls. I know all three of the varieties are planted close together but I just wanted to get them established this year and focus more on their situation next season. Cascade top pic...Hersbrucker middle pic...Goldings bottom pic:)

1409439893847.jpg

1409439932943.jpg

1409439966343.jpg

Nope. That's poly pipe. But if you look closely there's a lone asparagus shoot that was overlooked. ;)

So my kids decided to play digger trucks in the veggie patch that contains my rhyzomes. I'm not sure how much damage they've done but there are holes everywhere. I planted the rhyzomes about 3-4 weeks ago now from pots that I had them in. I'm in Canberra so it's been pretty chilli so not expecting much action for a while but do you think it's worth digging up the rhyzomes and replanting or smoothing over and hoping for the best?

Ah man, I feel for you. Not on that same level. But my kids had some friends over who stomped all over the garden needs where the rhizomes are. I was (internally) furious, but they didn't know any different. All have sprouted no problems. If I was you I'd smooth over & they should be ok. Unless the root system is completely sliced & diced, they should come good. They really are a pretty hardy weed.

Hops from Owain Wallace, planted at the end of July.

Tettnang put up bines within weeks
tettnang.JPG

Challenger has just emerged, with more bines to follow I hope
challenger.JPG

Gonna be a lot smaller than most but this is all could fight the swmbo for.
I planted my cascade abiut a week and it hasnt been very sunny so hopefully ill be expecting in a week or so

I've only got one shoot from my cascade so far.
My chinook and Columbus have put out a few eyes, but aren't as advanced as the cascade is.
Should I have more than one eye/shoot from this plant do you think?
I'm growing in southern tasmania.
Edit: attached photo

image.jpeg

Got home from work a little early today and was able to take a few photos of the bines, both are just starting to poke through.

Here is the cascade.
1Kqm9RSl.jpg

They are just starting to show.
Link full sized image if anyone is interested http://i.imgur.com/1Kqm9RS.jpg

And here is the Cluster
X7Hq25Wl.jpg

Here is the Cluster, it is growing from both ends, you can see both of the bines in this image but you can use the link if you want a closer look
Link: http://i.imgur.com/X7Hq25W.jpg

The mesh wire is there to keep the dog from digging in the pots.

Got mine in about 6 weeks ago. Perle, Goldings, Fuggles and Hersbrucker going gang busters. Cascade having a slow start and Victoria hasn't made an appearance yet.

Perle
1410055509580.jpg

Goldings
1410055553508.jpg

Fuggles
1410055584577.jpg

Cascade
1410055620458.jpg

Hersbrucker
1410055683456.jpg

And the makeshift trellis I had to put up in a hurry (caught out by the speed the Perle is growing)
1410055742533.jpg

Fully expecting to have to brace this at some point.

zappa said:
Got mine in about 6 weeks ago. Perle, Goldings, Fuggles and Hersbrucker going gang busters. Cascade having a slow start and Victoria hasn't made an appearance yet.

Perle
attachicon.gif
1410055509580.jpg

Goldings
attachicon.gif
1410055553508.jpg

Fuggles
attachicon.gif
1410055584577.jpg

Cascade
attachicon.gif
1410055620458.jpg

Hersbrucker
attachicon.gif
1410055683456.jpg

And the makeshift trellis I had to put up in a hurry (caught out by the speed the Perle is growing)
attachicon.gif
1410055742533.jpg

Fully expecting to have to brace this at some point.
Hey Zappa looking good mate! Very vigorous growing too....Must be in a prime spot

My Chinook still hasn't sprouted! Think it could have rotted during the wet weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back