2013 Melb Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throwing my name on the list and will confirm in November. Most likely getting surgery in December but date not confirmed.

1. Grumpy Paul
2. RelaxedBrewer
3.Djar007
4. Midnight Brew

Non Swap Attendees

1: Yob - Camping (Not for Cocko)
2. Manticle
3 DU99
4. Grainer
5. Charst

For the record. No deer in deer park. Now I have about six spare seventeen litre cubes. If we are going to brew then I can lend them out. I am keen to do a brew for the day just for a bit of criticism of my rig and process. Spit and food won't be a drama and if you guys want to stay that's cool. Plenty of room to roll out a swag. Could probably organise a couple of runs to the city later on to drop people off. Keen to kick off the summer with a big one so the more the merrier.

What's usually critical is getting a list of people who want cubes, from this you can work backward to see what equipment we'll need to get the output... Then of course comes settling on a recipe and getting contributors to put their name against ingredients for said recipe. It's your show mate, but these things are best not left to the last minute..

What's the output on your system?

My system is my brau clone. Output is a comfortable 35 litres. I have some big brew pots I am setting up. Bit they are not there yet. I have a 200 litre stainless pot, 100 litre stainless pot and a blichmann 15 gallon mash tun. And a 35 litre urn. Happy for some guidance. So let's get an idea of cubes for the day and then we can work out the rest.

i will go with the flow..something with fruit kick..something summer..we could make a basic brew with bittering hops and dry hop to own taste (like a FWK)

Sounds good to me du99. I have a hop rocket too so we can run it through that with some hop flowers. So we could use some cascade and galaxy flowers. I am doing a hop blast ipa at the moment as in zymurgy and would be keen to trial another. If you guys are willing to sacrifice a heap of hops. I will be happy to run my kettle and can run a mash tun and boil kettle too. That would be about a hundred litres in that lot. How much does everyone want. I can supply two burners. Got two gas bottles. One will be for my boil kettle. So that's a spare . Any reason why we need to no chill if we can chill it all into sterile containers to take home. I'm keen to run a big batch through the hop rocket and chiller. Ideas or suggestions would be good please guys.

Whooooaaaa. Stop everything. You've got a hop rocket & chiller you're keen to use?!
I'm totally there! Keen to see it in action, & keen to sample the results.
Well, it's probably not that big a deal really, but I'm still keen.
With that equipment I strongly advocate Feral Hop Hog clone (IPA), though maybe drop the IBUs a bit if possible for general appeal. So really, somewhere between a very hoppy APA and the hop hog.
I'd even nominate some hops: Columbus & simcoe (& 1-2 others: galaxy, mosaic?).
I think FHH is citra, centennial & cascade, fwiw.

Maybe Yob could suggest a great hop combo?

This is only my 2nd, so I'm cool if everyone else is sick to death of APAs & IPAs at swap meets.

I've got 2 x 10L cubes. Love to fill 1 or both on the day of anything brewed. Not much equipment to contribute sadly, just 2 x 30L urns. I do have an unused 20plate chiller to christen tho! Happy to contribute ingredients.

Given the last case swap brewing effort, I'm guessing the chillers will be needed around 1-2am.
I advocate less oats this time.

Sounds good techno. I am going to make up a filter so I can run pellets through the hop rocket. I have been using flowers to do it. But a filter may work better. So I will make a list of cubes against names tonight. In the middle of cleaning up a brew day. Went well. Bring that chiller. We could probably use it I think. As for bringing kegs etc. I have a two tap kegerator. As some of you may know. Thanks Vittorio. And i have two huge fridges you could all put kegs in or bottles or growlers. So no worries there. I am happy to contribute some of the grain. I have a bag of briess pale from the last bulk buy. Happy to use that. Got quite a lot of spec grain but mostly darker stuff. Is everyone going to be happy with a hop hog ish ipa?

1. Grumpy Paul
2. RelaxedBrewer
3.Djar007- ( Kolsch or Belgian Pale for swap) 1 x 17 litre cube
4. Midnight Brew

Non Swap Attendees

2. Manticle
3 DU99
4. Grainer
5. Charst
6. Techobabble66-2 x 10 lt cubes

Righto Gents,

Never been involved in a swap before but I'm keen to get amongst the HB community. What is protocol for the day, and are unknown brewers welcome?

More than happy to bring a dozen of my best, or a cube to swap, if that is the done thing.

Cheers,

JD.

Your welcome. If your keen to bring a dozen put your name up and add what you will add if you know what it is. Otherwise just bring some beers and an empty container and we will try and fill it. Add your name to that list too so we can guage how many cubes we will need. Then we can work out equipment and ingredients. Regards dave

Jdw ..i only two people that are coming one is the host and the other is the hop merchant.

1. Grumpy Paul
2. RelaxedBrewer
3.Djar007- ( Kolsch or Belgian Pale for swap) 1 x 17 litre cube
4. Midnight Brew

Non Swap Attendees

2. Manticle
4. Grainer
5. Charst
6. Techobabble66-2 x 10 lt cubes

JDW81 said:
Righto Gents,

Never been involved in a swap before but I'm keen to get amongst the HB community. What is protocol for the day, and are unknown brewers welcome?

More than happy to bring a dozen of my best, or a cube to swap, if that is the done thing.

Cheers,

JD.
Anyone who isn't a tit or troublemaker is welcome to these mate.

Basically if you want to swap, put your name down on the list. The number of swappers on the final list need to brew at least that number of longnecks which are numbered with the equivalent list number.

On swap day, every swapper gets 1 of every beer and hopefully later tastes and provides feedback. People not swapping are also welcome to come along and talk shit about beer. Host usually provides some kind of barbecue/spit deal which people may put in a few bucks for or bring a plate of something or both.

Everyone brings beer, everyone drinks beer, everyone talks about beer and it is a lot of fun. Sometimes awkward, especially early on as it's a bunch of strangers who are gathered together via the internet for nerdy reasons but beer makes it all work well most of the time and it can be super. Some people stay an hour, some all night.
Beer is also usually brewed on the day with brewers and helpers (or donors of ingredients and equipment) taking home wort to ferment.

Get amongst it.

manticle said:
Anyone who isn't a tit or troublemaker is welcome to these mate.

Basically if you want to swap, put your name down on the list. The number of swappers on the final list need to brew at least that number of longnecks which are numbered with the equivalent list number.

On swap day, every swapper gets 1 of every beer and hopefully later tastes and provides feedback. People not swapping are also welcome to come along and talk shit about beer. Host usually provides some kind of barbecue/spit deal which people may put in a few bucks for or bring a plate of something or both.

Everyone brings beer, everyone drinks beer, everyone talks about beer and it is a lot of fun. Sometimes awkward, especially early on as it's a bunch of strangers who are gathered together via the internet for nerdy reasons but beer makes it all work well most of the time and it can be super. Some people stay an hour, some all night.
Beer is also usually brewed on the day with brewers and helpers (or donors of ingredients and equipment) taking home wort to ferment.

Get amongst it.
I am neither a tit nor trouble maker, however am well versed in drinking and talking about beer.

My brewing has been somewhat sporadic lately due to university commitments, but may be able swap if I'm happy with how few recent brews turn out. Keen as though. Should know if they are up to it within a few weeks. If the list is full, so be it, if not, I'm in.

JD.

Could possibly join in swap but would only have the same brew I put in for July...???? and bring a cube or 2..

Sounds good to me. Can you add it to the list. Doesn't matter if it changes but looking for a bit of an idea . Looking forward to meeting you all.

Long way from full JD. List is usually capped somewhere between 24 and 28.

Back