2012 Sydney Pub Crawl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
ok all i know this is early but what a better way to start off the new year but start to discussing this years one.
heres the almost tried and true route from last year thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=52553

lowenbrau
lord nelson
harts for lunch
Belgian beer cafe
pump house
king street brew pub
schwartz
tap house
then peaking duck in china town somewhere????

there was discussion about starting in manly last year so to get murrays and four pines. there is always the alternative of the lowenbrau then catch the ferry over and do those two and then come back and continue on.

also we need to lock in a date.
funnily enough the crawl always ends up the day before the million paws walk which this year is May 20, 2012.

sounds good Barls, Im gonna try and not miss this year,though I might have a late start. My poor stamina to blame.

cheers
andrew.

sounds good Barls, Im gonna try and not miss this year,though I might have a late start. My poor stamina to blame.

cheers
andrew.

I reckon I'd like to do the ferry to Manly, then back to Harts, Redoak, Swartz and then the Taphouse. I'm happy to bypass the Bavarian, Darling Harbour and The Pumphouse and get to the good shit on the eastside of town.

It's possible to have two routes. The traditional Lowenbrau/Lord Nelson/Harts or a second - 4 Pines/Murray/ Harts. Choose your preference and back together for the afternoon /evening session.

What time do the Manly breweries open Saturday?

id rather skip the red oak as i find their beers overrated and way too expensive.
ok so at the moment we have

lowenbrau
lord nelson
harts for lunch
Belgian beer cafe
pump house
king street brew pub
schwartz
tap house
we can ether do over manly for lunch or after harts and then skip or delay the ones after that.
i like the delay the second part option and as always this is up for modification.

If the king st brew pub is on king st wharf, then that is the most confused venue i've ever been to.

having an alternative start in Manly doesn't sound too bad either, then ferry into town and hooking up with those starting at the Lowenbrau at Lord Nelson or Harts.
Not a bad start to the day with a beer or two at Murray's overlooking the beach, before wandering down the strip to the ferry in to town.

4Pines for a short beer stop after having done the exhaustive 500 m walk from Murray's while dodging bikini-clad tourists before jumping on the ferry.

;)

Bjorn

having an alternative start in Manly doesn't sound too bad either, then ferry into town and hooking up with those starting at the Lowenbrau at Lord Nelson or Harts.
Not a bad start to the day with a beer or two at Murray's overlooking the beach, before wandering down the strip to the ferry in to town.

4Pines for a short beer stop after having done the exhaustive 500 m walk from Murray's while dodging bikini-clad tourists before jumping on the ferry.

;)

Bjorn

I'd be quite interested in coming along and putting faces to a few names here if the start was in Manly, given I could probably con Mrs ******* into giving me a ride down to (and picking me up from) Manly.

Of the other venues, probably Harts, Schwartz and the Taphouse hold the most interest for mine.

;)

Bjorn

(like button)

Maybe rather than a day, book out the accoms at the Schwartz brewery hotel and do over 2 days? Take your time, rather than having to skull and run.

I'm more than happy to tea up something at Harts with numbers, dates and times. I know this will come out on the wash. The comment from the bar staff last year was 'we had this group of blokes in, they were extremely polite, knew their beer and also cleaned up after themselves. Can they come back again ... "

Must have been one of the tour groups staying at the shangri-la I reckon ...

Maybe rather than a day, book out the accoms at the Schwartz brewery hotel and do over 2 days? Take your time, rather than having to skull and run.

I'm more than happy to tea up something at Harts with numbers, dates and times. I know this will come out on the wash. The comment from the bar staff last year was 'we had this group of blokes in, they were extremely polite, knew their beer and also cleaned up after themselves. Can they come back again ... "

Must have been one of the tour groups staying at the shangri-la I reckon ...

Yep, can't be anyone I was with last year.

I think the problem with last year was things got a bit flat between the Pumphouse and Taphouse. Walking the 26.5 kilometres with Ivan the Terrible just about killed me! I reckon we go Pumphouse, Swartz then Taphouse with a meal stop in between.

Stayed at The Macquarie a few years back and actually quite a good joint. And reasonably priced for the quality of the rooms.

What's this King Street venue? Did we go there last year or a new joint?

I'll put my hand up for a Manly start simply cos I'll probabaly never make it to those places anyway .. the last blokes from Wollongong who went to Manly was the Stewart brothers, look at the trouble they got into!

Gonna do my best to actually be a part of it this year. Pick a date and i'll N/A from work. :D

I'd be interested. I'd probably prefer the city side of things to avoid getting to manly but otherwise I'd be happy with the routes. I haven't met any brewers on here that I know of, but will probably find that I've met one or 2 without knowing it.

I probably wouldn't be able to do a saturday

Hell I'll take the day off work to go to this.

+1 vote for Manly as well. Murrays and 4 pines are great places.

Depending on dates, sounds great :)

Again, I'll be looking forward to the crawl and will try to make it.

+1 for adding the Manly pubs at the start.

The King St Brewpub (the old James Squire) are still doing their own batches.
IMO A good place for a family lunch as kids meals are free when you buy a main & a beer (or wine, as we asked).

As for the pub crawl, anything to break up the walk between the rocks & the pumphouse.

Got another one to add on as a suggestion. Braza, the brazillian steakhouse in the new Darling Quarter dining area (opposite Tumbalong Pk) have an impressive range of drinks. and a big meatfest banquet at the end of a pub crawl could either be a good or bad idea. A few drinks at the bar could definitely be worth it before we hit the Pumphouse. Prices are in the same ballpark.

I'll tentatively put my hand up and hopefully make it to the whole thing this year.

I like the idea of Manly. Can't you drink on the ferry also, or is that just the private fast ferries?

Back