2012 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I think I've finally finished sending out everyone's details. Please PM me if I've missed you or you have any queries re Courier stuff.

Best way is to book it via the online courier web site and then send me the Consignment note to stick on the box and let me know when pickup is.

Cheers,

Q

Looking forward to trying some of these soon :) Bring on the tastings :chug:

Just paid courier, and sent it to your email addy mate!

Thanks again!!!

Quintrex - confirming my beers arrived late last week. Thanks again for 'hosting' and arranging the swapping of these beers.

Looking forward to these. Noting I still have one bottle of most of the 2011 swap beer aging in the shed too still...!

Still waiting for Kabooby, Hazard and Manticle to courier/pick up their swaps.... but has anyone else started tasting yet?

I'm hoping to stick up some tasting notes in the next coupla days....

Sorry for the delay. Been flat out with beerfest related stuff.

Just contacted my brother to see if he can pick up - will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Recovered from draining kegs during the superbowl... so hoping to sample a few of these in the coming days.

Am I the first to crack a bottle? I had a breakage in transit, so got a pretty smelly and soggy box, and I haven't figured out what I'm missing yet. The luck of the draw I guess!

Last night I drank (with relish!) A "little dog brewery" oude bruin - which I guess from the list is barls?

I didn't take a photo (and I can't go in to too much guff tonight as I'm at work and waiting for something to happen) - but it poured medium bruin (hah) and crystal clear - with negligeable head but a lasting fizz. Beautiful tropic fruit aroma! Like a "fruit salad plant" if you know the smell.

Body is a great balance - there's been a lot of brett action - but it's really not bone dry, and keeps some solid mouthfeel at the end of the mouthful.

Tastes great, not very sour, but loads of funky brett (orval brett strain barls?) some dark malts and that really pleasant mouthfeel.

Barls - this is great! Glad I have another to drink in good time :)

I should probably post about my own beer too, so you you all don't set your expectations too high!

In the 330ml brown bottles with the red cap with the brand of an Italian beer (of which I cannot recall).

Sour Buckwheat Pale Ale
I used a significant portion of home malted buckwheat (8% I think?), plus a cereal mash of triticale and millet for something different.
The remainder was Weyermann pils malt to 1.055. The buckwheat ended up as a crystal, rather than base malt due to my over-kilning.
There's 9 IBUs of Sapphire at 90 minutes.

The yeast is recultured Russian River, plus dregs from Orval, Rodenbach, and Duchesse de Bourgnon.

What to expect:

Extreme sourness! There's some not insignificant acetic acid presence, but a huge hit of lactic acid from pedio (which had a holiday in it early this year). There's some slight funky, but this is primarily a sour beer. Now - here's my admission - the beer is much too dextrinous, and has a very thick mouthfeel. I've tried to offset it with a pretty good carb, but pleased be warned it's not balanced.

I've got this beer working in a stainless keg fermenter and replaced the quantity I removed with a very thin beer (brewed thin on purpose). So though I hope you enjoy the extremely different flavours you get from the buckwheat (super nutty) with the acids, all I can do is cross my fingers that next year the batch will be more balanced.

dont think your the first there was another thread started for the tasting notes somewhere.

glad you enjoyed it. its 100% where i wanted it.
was roselare again with a couple of dregs added but i cant remember what they were.
just about to start on the next batch of it once temps start dropping a bit more.

Cheers Brendanos.

Definitely agree on this being more acetic than I would normally aim for.

This is about the fourth time I have used that batch of roeselare cake and it is supposed to increase in acetic character with re-use. I have not kept dregs or repitched anything from that yeast cakeso fresh pitch next time for me as I'm more into funk than vinegar. The citrus seemed to me to add a bite to the acetic too.

Yours had no gushing issues (recent ones of mine have been ok but I've been concerned)?

Wrote the above in the tasting thread but was reprimanded by Brendanos for Jibber Jabber so I'll post it here. I don't like this militant one post tasting thread business, no siree I don't.

But I will give it a shot.

not a fan ether at this stage, isnt the whole point of this to taste the beer then ask questions or discuss the beer therefore improving our own examples. not possible if its just one post only

personnally ill be posting mine here if thats the format we have to stick to and cant ask questions

Does seem odd that there's no interaction about tasting and I personally find the whole format clunky and difficult to follow. I'll withold judgment entirely till a few more opinions are returned but I've never had an issue with just the regular format for tasting notes.

Chaps I hid the other posts on the tasting thread for now. I can bring them back if thats the consensus? Or can move them to this thread if need be.

Maybe discuss the beers here on this thread - leaving a single combined judging post in the other thread?

I'll keep the other thread as it's supposed to be (had already deleted my post and pasted it here) but I don't see the point of going back and forth between 2 threads. I don't see it as neat or tidy or easy to follow. The example thread linked is really difficult to read and the lack of interaction between brewers does not sit well with me either.
What's the advantage of the single post tasting thread?

im not seeing any advantages to the format. it would of been nice to have discussed this before it was dictated to us that this is the format we are supposed to use.
also having two threads is kinda useless and im not going to post a review of the beer over there then come over to this one to ask a question about it.

VAL label / OLP on lid - who's is it?
Subtle aroma of funk, stale mustiness lingers at the end.
Good level of carbonation, thin white head dissipates quickly. Clear, light brown in colour.
Flavour wise is subtle (not aggressive at all - in a good way) and easy to drink - light tartness with citrus notes (lemon/lime?), light mouthfeel, brett notes present, malt still present, minimal bitterness but balanced with the acidity and very much sessionable.

Happy with this as my first of a good group of beers to come!

Noticed in the tasting thread that Neonmate had posted about my beer. Don't think it was mine. Mine should all have number 8 on the lid. Should not be leaking either as very low carbonation like a true lambic.

Kabooby :)

PS. With the tasting thread is it possible to see all tasting notes for a beer or just the most recent?

kabooby said:
Noticed in the tasting thread that Neonmate had posted about my beer. Don't think it was mine. Mine should all have number 8 on the lid. Should not be leaking either as very low carbonation like a true lambic.

Kabooby :)

PS. With the tasting thread is it possible to see all tasting notes for a beer or just the most recent?

I have hidden the duplicate posts, but can unhide them.
We have a mixed camp thus far on how that thread will work it would appear.
Happy to unhide the older posts if that is the general consensus.

Back