2008 Castle Hill Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to add something regarding the publishing of scores. I'm a National BJCP judge and have judged in more comps than I can remember.

Sometimes a category gets so many entries it isn't feasible for one panel of judges to evaluate them all. For instance, my club's last two comps had >30 entries in the American Pale Ale category alone. It had to be split so that the APAs, American Ambers, and American Browns all had to be judged separately, but simultaneously. When all judges had finished judging their individual subcategory, they all got together with their table's top beers to decide an overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

It's possible that one set of judges are very generous with scores and it's also likewise possible that another set is rather stingy with their scores. Imagine a situation where all judges unanimously agree that beer X is the winner, followed by Y, and Z is the overall 3rd place beer. It's entirely possible that Z had the highest score if it was originally judged by the generous judges. In cases like this, publishing the scores would only lead to some very confused people and likely some very hot tempers.

I know you're probably thinking "don't they rescore the beers to give the 1st place the highest score?" No. Why? It's not a matter of rescoring only the top 3 beers - you'd actually have to alter the scores of all beers, from all judges. Why? Again, after rescoring the top 3, it's possible that beers that didn't place actually scored higher than the top 3. Another reason they're not rescored is that after judging 10+ beers and having a mini-BOS round to determine the overall top 3, you're damn tired. All you want to do is finish and either go home, eat, or move on to the next round. Not publishing scores helps to "protect" your judges from the tiresome job of ensuring consistent scores amongst judges with widely varying experience, preferences, and backgrounds.

Edit: As others have said, enter your beer into multiple competitions and look for trends in the comments/evaluations. Scores are rather irrelevant (but I admit that high scores are nice).

My $.02, such as it is.

All sorted

Thanks for the update Chris

Cheers

Josh

Nice. Big thanks to Tseay and others involved for all the time and effort. Brilliant job. Congrats to all.

Cheers
Andrew.

Just got my ribbons in the mail... I guess that means the show has come and gone... Oops.

FFS, three different ways of spelling my name <_<

I guess at least some are correct.....

Just got my ribbons in the mail... I guess that means the show has come and gone... Oops.

Got mine too.

It seems our club is running this show this year and it will be held mid-October. Look out for more details soon. :)

Got mine too.

Tested out the new dig camera last night on them.
The Hills Champ sash is the big green one behind the blue ones.

Beers,
Doc

CastleHillShow_Awards_2009_001.jpg

Got mine too.

Tested out the new dig camera last night on them.
The Hills Champ sash is the big green one behind the blue ones.

Beers,
Doc

They almost look as good as my single off white for third, :lol: <_<

Received mind yesterday. Again thanks to all involved. Hope to steward or judge this year if needed.

Was stoked to find a nice little package in the mail earlier this week.

Ribbons_004.jpg

Didn't realise the ribbons would be so shiny! ;)
Gonna have to find somewhere to pin them now.

haha , yep thanks again to the organisers.. the ribbons are great. i feel like i've been showing prized bulls or something! whatever happened to the canada thing incidently?
cheers, cam

Got mine on friday. 2x 2nds & 2x 3rds. Woohoo!
Once the Garage/brewery is sorted out I'll pin them up somewhere.

Had one final dry stout which scored twice, so what better timing to polish it off!?

Cheers Chris for the hard work & Headaches.

Show_Awards.jpg

Anything happening with this comp this year?

Cheers
Andrew.

Yes. Going ahead, but a bit later (in November). Full details should be out soon, but I can tease you by saying there should be a prize to brew with a very well-known NSW micro-brewery. :D

Yes. Going ahead, but a bit later (in November). Full details should be out soon, but I can tease you by saying there should be a prize to brew with a very well-known NSW micro-brewery. :D

Thanks Stuart.

Latest posts

Back