Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ODDBALL said:
If you don't mind me asking (and this might sound dumb to some of you) Why do you want these tubes/jars/vials and what are the benefits? :unsure:
[post="57676"][/post]​
Everyone's brew situation is different. For me, I am limited in cold storage space and I am lazy so I don't like reculturing frequently. Another factor is that I decided to buy some not-commonly-available yeasts and they are supplied in this format.

These tubes reportedly remain viable for at least a year in the fridge. This also means that I can keep the original generation around for longer.

It won't stop me storing a cupful of yeast cake in a PET bottle and re-using it. This has a useful life measured in weeks.

I should be honest and say it also fascinates me somewhat and you are never too old to learn new tricks.

I'm not sure if this answered your question.

Oh yes and so far this is all theory - I haven't actually made a culture yet - I am still waiting for my CL-50 and other yeasts to arrive. There are a few other people on this board who might be able to provide more information or straighten me out.

OK heard back from Rowe scientific about these type of culture tubes

Slant.jpg

Come in a box of 144 for $270 + GST

Considering if that's worth the dosh to get a few?????

Why not sterilise an old White Labs tube?
I reckon I have close to 100 sitting in a box out the back.
Just a thought
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
Why not sterilise an old White Labs tube?
I reckon I have close to 100 sitting in a box out the back.
Just a thought
Gerard
[post="58303"][/post]​
To steralise them you'd need to put them in an autoclave/pressure cooker and I don't think they'd handle the heat.

I don't mind spending a bit more on equipment that will last a long time which these little culture tubes would be great for, they'd last for years.
I might give Sosmans supplier a call about the plastic ones but I'll wait till the end of the week and see if anyone in the Brisbane Brewing Club wants to split a box or have any better ideas.

Hoops

On the subject of plastic tubes, I got a price from Perth Scientific last week on 9ml culture tubes 14mm OD x 94mm long. They are polycarbonate with caps and are autoclavable.

They only sell them by the box of 1500 and it was $369.50 & GST for the box. I was thinking of splitting them into lots of 100 between 15 people is anyone interested?

Cheers

Ausdb

Hoops
You could get an old White Labs vial, rinse in boiling water and leave overnight in sterilant such as Proxitane, a solution of around 1% would do.
Don't rinse, just shake off the solution & put your yeast in. If you don't get any off flavour or infections then you have developed a low cost method of recycling something you were going to punt. Suck it & see it may just sort your problem out
Cheers
Gerard

ausdb said:
They only sell them by the box of 1500 and it was $369.50 & GST for the box. I was thinking of splitting them into lots of 100 between 15 people is anyone interested?

I would be inetersted, only need 13 more now :p

I would take 100 off your hands Ausdb, let me know if it's a goer.

Andrew

i use 20ml tubes and they are great, bit worried 9ml is a tad small?

if i could get more of these 20ml tubes i would, however 1500 is like 1450 more than i need :)

These tubes are designed for use in a centrifuge and are good for storing yeast in. However, just be warned that they are usually not supplied with lids, and they need to be purchased seperately. Thus the quoted price may not be the only cost.

Cheers
Tim

Anyone interested in getting any of these ones?

post-292-1115676017_thumb.jpg

Would need a minimum order of 144 though. $2.06ea

Hoops is that 144 of them each or in total? I would go for 15 or so.

144 total
Come in a box of 144 so if we can get a few guys that want 15-20 ea would only need 7-10 people. I will see if anyone in my HB club want any.

Hoops

AndrewQLD said:
I would take 100 off your hands Ausdb, let me know if it's a goer.
Andrew
[post="58741"][/post]​

Gout said:
i use 20ml tubes and they are great, bit worried 9ml is a tad small?
[post="58760"][/post]​

Tim said:
These tubes are designed for use in a centrifuge and are good for storing yeast in. However, just be warned that they are usually not supplied with lids, and they need to be purchased seperately. Thus the quoted price may not be the only cost.
[post="58765"][/post]​

Hoops said:
144 total
Come in a box of 144 so if we can get a few guys that want 15-20 ea would only need 7-10 people. I will see if anyone in my HB club want any.
[post="59226"][/post]​

This is all getting way confusing!!!!

Tim I am sure the price was with caps.

Gout we could get a different size if thats what people want

AndrewQLD Thanks for your interest, Jason Y has expressed interest as well

But I am sort of interested in the glass ones Hoops has found. Glass tends to give me more of a warm fuzzy feeling than polycarb but we could get a stack more ploycarb ones for the price.

How do we do a poll?
Question 1 Glass or polycarb
Question 2 what size? 9ml 15ml or 20ml???

What does everyone else think???

Ausdb

Ausdb,
I am happy to go with whatever I can get, but here's my 2 bobs worth,

Glass would be better,
15 or 20 ml,

if we go with Hoops version then I would take 20 of them instead of the 100 I posted to you.
Either way I don't mind, so long as I can get some.

Andrew

Just measured the volume of the test tubes here, 15ml with a length of 100mm. This seems to work well size wise.

I also couldn't decide, glass or plastic so bought some of each. Have only used the glass style to make slants. The glass test tubes have red rubber bungs to fit. The plastic are autoclavable with autoclavable screw lids.

Don't forget to allow for streaking plenty of slants, you will want to do at three per yeast to allow for any infectioned ones to be chucked out. Then you will want to swap some around with other brewers and the glass ones don't bounce very well. So you will want more tubes rather than less.

The tubes Hoops has found look very nice, but are a bit pricey.

Just going on Pint of lagers info then plastic may be better?

I have confirmation the 9ml price did include the cap which works out at a smidge over 27c per tube, plus the cost of posting them to wherever you are.

I am getting a price on the 15mL tubes as well, should be in tomorrow
http://www.technoplas.com.au/products_15ml_round.php (these ones)

Unless there are a lot of takers I reckon 100 should be the miniumum.

Cheers
Ausdb

At that price ill grab 100 of them.
The family isnt happy with 600mL bottles of yeast in the fridge.

I'm keen to get both plastic and glass, so I will grab 100 of the Placcy ones please Ausdb.

I'm still looking at getting some glass ones so if anyone else is interested let me know.

Hoops

Hmm this is getting confusing! Ok well I will grab 100 plastic and that will do me (sorry Hoops). Will be interested in the price of the 15ml ones.

Assuming the order goes through.

Back