Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've put a couple of replys on Batz Yeast Starter thread but thought it belongs better here.
I am also looking for some small bottles that are preferably glass and pressure-cooker safe. The Schott bottles look perfect but are pretty expensive. Found one link with prices here
2B200.jpg
50ml $7.45 ($2.40ea for 100 from "Labglass")
2B205.jpg
100ml $7.30 ($2.00ea for 100 from "Labglass")
2B210.jpg
250ml $8.20

EDIT: Added bulk prices

They look bloody good but I just can't justify that price :( will continue my quest for cheap small containers. Will be interested if you turn anything up hoops.

Yeah, too costly for me to justify aswell. Hopefully something similar at a better price will present itself.
Hoops

PS Can anyone "acquire" these schott bottles or at least get a discount of some kind?

Yeah, up to 140C, that's why I think they would be perfect for what we're after.

Just called a few lab supply companys and for a bulk buy of 100 bottles......
25ml $2.35ea
50ml $2.40ea
100ml $2.00ea
This is including GST so it works out a fair bit cheaper that way.
Hoops

Hoops I would be interested in 15 - 20 of the 100mL (or 50mL) if you end up doing a bulk order :)

Guys, also look at www.livingstone.com.au for lab supplies. In my experience they are cheaper than most places.

They have schott bottles for a bit cheaper than the above (not sure about the price when buying 100 though, but individually they are a bit cheaper). They also have 2L erlenmeyer flasks for $11.28 each (3L $22.55). I think they are in Sydney, freight is $16.50 to capital cities, $22 to country areas so you have to buy a few items to make the freight worth while-hence you should also buy an erlenmeyer flask ;)

I have 3X 1L schott bottles and they rock, I use them for everything, particularly autoclaving my wort for my starters. I just have 3X 500ml of sterile wort sitting in them most of the time. I also use a 2L erlenmeyer for my starter and I think these vessels rock too. I boil it on the stove, use it on a magnetic stirrer and also pump air into it and I like it.

Unfortunately I don't have a ready supply of them to sell-mine are on long term loan ;). But if you can get them for a decent price I recommend them.

Cheers, Justin

I'll just keep using 600/390 ml PET bottles.

cheers

Justin said:
Guys, also look at www.livingstone.com.au for lab supplies. In my experience they are cheaper than most places.

They have schott bottles for a bit cheaper than the above (not sure about the price when buying 100 though, but individually they are a bit cheaper
JD
I followed a link and called livingstone and they quoted me:
50ml $4.50
100ml $4.40
This is for bulk (50+)
Can you either get a price for us or post the phone number of who you deal with
Thanks
Hoops

Justin said:
I have 3X 1L schott bottles and they rock, I use them for everything, particularly autoclaving my wort for my starters.
Do you put the whole bottle, sealed, with wort into the autoclave?
Could you pressure cook them full of wort?
I assumed that they were pulled apart, steralised, then filled.

Hang on with the ordering details and I'll see, I just have a catalogue on my desk for it so I'll try and find out. It has an order form in the back.

I just put my wort in the bottles, just using hot water to dissolve the DME, screw the lid on-THEN CRACK THE LID BACK HALF A TURN- so that it can breathe and vent excess pressure, then into the autoclave. Make sure the lid is loose and can breathe otherwise you have a bomb. Take out of the autoclave at the end of the cycle and then let cool a bit and shut the lid. Shuting the lid too early ends up with a vacuum and makes the lid bloody hard to get off.

These would work in a pressure cooker in exactly the same manner, an autoclave is just a big timed pressure cooker anyway so these bottles would be ideal for this purpose. Lids are good up to 140C I think and the glass (pyrex or borosilicate,may be the same thing?) withstands heating and cooling pretty well. I've never seen one break under thermal stress but I still wouldn't really test it by dunking a hot one in ice cold water or vice versa.

Cheers, JD

Thanks JD
I will wait for your reply
Hoops

Ok Hoops, the guy that gets our stuff says you can just order online with a credit card. He seems to think that there are no issues with sales to the public and I have read through the terms and conditions on the site and can see no apparent obstacles for small orders to the public. I have just sent them an email to confirm that online orders to the public are possible.

As far as I can see you just need to register on the site to give you access to the prices. You can just go through and click the items that you want and send them to the shopping basket and check out. Just wait until I get an email back to confirm that there are no problems.

N.B. They have Schott bottles on special at the moment for about 10c more each than your quoted price for 50+ above. Go to the Profile page and select specials, also for bigger sizes as well.

Hope it helps,

Cheers, Justin

Here's the reply Hoops, all systems go it you want to. I was pretty sure that it was this straight forward but this just confirms it. Hopefully the Federal Police or ASIO wont think your up to no good and running a meth lab or something and come and bust your a$$. :D

Dear Dr Evil (shhhhh! ;))

Thank you for your enquiry. The Website is open to sales for public. Register with us and browse for the products that is of your interest. Once the products have been selected, the site will take you through the purchasing process step by step. In regard to the payment, you have the option to pay by credit card or use an established Livingstone's account number. Credit card payment is encrypted and processed through CommSecure (http://www.commsecure.com.au/htdocs/payments.html).

To answer an earlier question, White Labs tubes are 35mL

Justin said:
N.B. They have Schott bottles on special at the moment for about 10c more each than your quoted price for 50+ above. Go to the Profile page and select specials, also for bigger sizes as well.

Hope it helps,

Cheers, Justin
JD
I can't link to the Laboratory section, and under the "profile" page there are only 1 heading and 2 subheadings:
CORPORATE PROFILE>>
- OVERVIEW
- FEATURES
No "specials" heading. (www.livingstone.com.au is that the correct address?)

Anyway you said that the prices are 10c more so $4.60 and $4.50 for 50ml & 100ml respectively?
Labglass in Brisbane has them for $2.40 & $2.00 (50ml & 100ml) for a bulk (100) purchase so hopefully we can get a few guys together and buy 100 of them.
Thanks for the info
Hoops

I can't link through either Hoops, guessing it must have gone down because I could get through yesterday. I guess if your interested then keep trying.

Cheers, JD

I can get small plastic ones , about 100ml I think

Batz

Latest posts

Back