Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The glass shot bottles are made of borosilicate glass, this is very resistant to thermal shock. We freeze dry things in shot bottles and dip into liquid nitrogen (bloody cold), no evidence of thermal shock whatsoever. The glass is also obviously chemical resistant, clean them with caustic. The schott bottles will handle an autoclave easily. I have never seen borosilicate glass crack under thermal shock and I use this type of glass routinely and abuse the crap out of it
Cheers
Peter

I've never broken one either and I abuse them a bit too in the lab, even dropping them, they are bloody strong and really good pieces of equipment. I love them for culturing, along with my erlenmeyer flask. Not bragging but I also scored a thermostatically controlled water bath the other day (0-100C range controlled by a dial) which is great for sitting my cultures in while building up my starters. It was being thrown out due to frail breaking plastic around the top-promptly into my car it went. Real bonus seeing as my house is pretty cold most of the time (~10C) and I haven't built a little culturing fermentation box.

JD

I have a 500ml Schott bottle sitting on my desk with me at work today :lol: . I'm culturing up a yeast, and I know my empty house will be quite cold, but in the office it's nice and warm. Not quite as elegant as Justin's water bath, but it's doing the trick.

Cheers
MAH

Batz said:
I can get small plastic ones , about 100ml I think

Batz
Batz

If they are the same size containers you gave me - they are 200ml.

Will have some more if you want to send them down - let me know how much.

Justin said:
Not bragging but I also scored a thermostatically controlled water bath the other day (0-100C range controlled by a dial) which is great for sitting my cultures in while building up my starters. It was being thrown out due to frail breaking plastic around the top-promptly into my car it went. Real bonus seeing as my house is pretty cold most of the time (~10C) and I haven't built a little culturing fermentation box.

JD
BRAGGER! :p

GMK

The ones I was talking about are smaller ken , but I can get you more of the sort I gave you before if you want

Batz

or if you work in the right industry with a lab get to know the lab chicks or the chemist as they have an endless array of glass and plastic ware.its brewers heaven.i love our work lab.im always on the prowl.

cheers
big d

the small bottles that contain flavouring for home made hooch are glass with a screw top, maybe a bit small but just a thought.

Batz said:
GMK

The ones I was talking about are smaller ken , but I can get you more of the sort I gave you before if you want

Batz
yes batz - like to get a few more if you happy to send them...

6 - to a dozen would be good...

PM me with a price....

Can you help me with an adaptor to go from male gas turret thread to 1/2inch male - prefer SS but anything will do.
Gas turret thread is not 1/4 or 3/8 BSP
Think it is NPT something around 9mm imperial equivalent.

thanks

Is anyone else interested in some of the Schott Duran bottles?
To get them cheap we need to buy 100 and it looks like 80 are spoken for already.
I think the 50ml are the preference at $2.40ea.
Hoops

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
looks like 80 are spoken for already.
Hope you have me down for 15 - 20 if you get them :huh:

Yep :) So far I have you down for 15-20, myself for 20, my LHBS for 20, and maybe devilsaltarboy for 20.

Whats the damage for 20,$$$ ????

Its late and I cant be buggered doing the math and not sure of the cost youre focusing on

Linz said:
Whats the damage for 20,$$$ ????

Its late and I cant be buggered doing the math and not sure of the cost youre focusing on
$2.40ea so 20 are $48

:mellow: <_< :angry: <_< :lol: :D :p

I love these little faces.

Oh and my stuffs cooler than your stuff hoops :D

Justin said:
:mellow: <_< :angry: <_< :lol: :D :p

I love these little faces.

Oh and my stuffs cooler than your stuff hoops :D
:eek: :angry: :( :unsure: ;)
Not when I get my SS conical :p

I'd be in for 20 as well, much smaller than the test tubes that I have been considering, and with flat bases too... pretty hard to beat.

dreamboat

Howdy,
I like the 500ml schott bottles. You can use them to sterilise your starter (boiling in microwave) plunge into cold water or ice to chill, then pitch and ferment the starter all in the same bottle. If you dont need your starter immediately simply screw the lid shut and its ready for next time.
Darren

dreamboat said:
I'd be in for 20 as well, much smaller than the test tubes that I have been considering, and with flat bases too... pretty hard to beat.

dreamboat
Well, thats the 100 then. I am waiting for a reply from a homebrew club who may have a few interested people as well. Might be able to get 200 a bit cheaper?
Will call labglass and get them to order 100 in. I will be in Brisbane within the next few weeks so I can either pick them up, or someone down that way could get them.
Hoops

Latest posts

Back