Yeast Containers ... Small Ones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used this kind of bottle. I think caps are extra but they are glass and 50ml.

Bottle%20oval%2050ml%20H0629.jpg

They are $60 for a pack of 160.

http://www.ssapl.com.au/details.php?pid=5582

These dudes here also stock a lot of jars, bottles etc.
I have priced the longnecks here. They do not list prices but will give them over the phone. Same as the brewshops sell. They were reasonably priced. The more you buy the cheaper it is.
I've posted this site before.

http://www.plasdene.com.au/

cheers

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
Just called a few lab supply companys and for a bulk buy of 100 bottles......
50ml $2.40ea
100ml $2.00ea
This is including GST so it works out a fair bit cheaper that way.
:angry: :angry: F#$K !!! :angry: :angry:

Spoke to "labglass" <_< to check when they could have the bottles by and the F$#K'n dirty son of a bitch gave me a dodgy quote last week :eek: :angry:

When I asked "how much for 100 Schott Duran screw top autoclavable bottles" he somehow F$#Ked it up and gave me the item number and prices of beakers??!! :huh: :angry:

Their actual quote is $4.44 for 50ml and $3.84 for 100ml :angry:

This now makes Rowe Scientific the cheapest at $3.75 for 50ml or 100ml.
Rowe Scientific also have Simax brand 100ml for $3.05. (don't make 50ml though)
These prices need GST added too :(

I am still keen to get some so can you guys let me know if you are still interested, and if so how many. Or better yet if anyone finds a cheaper supplier let me know.
Failing that I'll just go out and buy some at full price :(
Hoops
:angry:

Getting a bit pricey for me hoops, I would still take maybe a dozen which would let me ranch 3 or 4 strains. I believe that the Simax stuff is okay (pyrex by another name) but i am not sure on the 100ml capacity, but if the group order heads for the simax, then I might still look at 20.....

this hobby is supposed to help to save money...

dreamboat

Livingstone want $4.46 each for qty of 100.
or $5.50 ea for singles....for the schott 50ml

plus GST of course

dreamboat

I had a lucky break at Science Supplies Australia today. I was asking about small, autoclavable tubes and the guy came up with "McCartney Tubes". These are very solid 28ml tubes that can be fitted with polypropylene screw caps.

They are $1.80 each though (one-off) and I thought there must be something cheaper. I bought half a dozen anyway, I can always use them for airbrushing :)

TubesMcCartney28ml.jpg

On the way out I was asking about plastic vials and the guy said lets check the samples bin. We found some polycarbonate 15ml tubes and he gave me a fistfull. He asked me whether that was enough and it didn't take long before I had the whole box, probably 200 of them.

I don't know whether they are suitable for yeast but 200 polycarbonate screw cap vials for nicks I wasn't going to turn down.

Anyway they are made by techno-plas in SA.

http://www.technoplas.com.au/products_15ml_round.php

Is this big enough for a yeast farm. You can buy 1500 of these babies for $280 so if you have a few brewers they work out pretty inexpensive.

Vials15ml.jpg

hmmm getting too pricey for me hoops ... the placcy test tubes would be handly ... ahh well the quest continues.

Yeah, at the price he quoted last week of $2 I was thinking 20-25 but now I may only get 4-5. They are expensive but I think would be worthwhile in the long run as they will last years. Still up in the air though.

It was said somewhere here that white lab containers were pet bottle blanks so I did a little research.
The blanks are called paracins and they are injection moulded then transferred to a blowmoulder whilst still hot so in this situation they are a bit hard to get because if they are taken off the line at this stage they tend to stick together. However there are injection moulders who make only the paracins and onsell them to the blowmoulders and they make different sizes depending on final bottle size. At this stage I havn't found anyone in perth that makes them but they must exist. There would definitely be several sources in the bigger cities.
If a bottle of water can be retailed for $0.70, surely the paracin can be sourced for very little money. Somebody must know someone in the industry.

Try your local scientific supplier. Ask for 50ml Falcon tubes. These would be perfect for culturing. They are made of polycarbonate and are autoclavable. They also have anti-spill lips on them sour pouring is a breeze.
Darren

I have put those polycarb "test tubes" through the pressure cooker since with no ill effects.

OK I'm looking at getting into yeast slants so am looking for some small test tube kind of containers and I was thinking of this type......

Yeast_Slant.jpg

Does anyone know what name they go by, as I can't seem to find them on Livingstone?

Hoops

Don't know what they are called.

You want a tube that you can see through, has a sealable lid and can be pressure cooked.

Plain test tubes with bungs work ok, but remember, do not pressure cook a sealed container as it may burst. A bit of string will stop a bung from sealing.

Screw tops are nice, remember not to screw tightly, to allow for no pressure buildup.

The problem with science supply houses is to find a suitable vessel that does not come in lots of 10,000.

Hoops, I think they are called culture tubes on livingstone. Looks like they come in large boxes! although the price is not too bad considering the quantitiy. I am sure if you buy a 1000 you could get rid of a few hundred around here :p

As an alternative, try a hippy supplier. The bottles used for essential oils are ideal for yeast storage and are heaps cheaper than lab supply types. Make sure you get metal lids though. Bakelite doesn't like the pressure cooker. Check out New Directions and Heirloom Body Care.

I've no affiliation with either.

Cheers
Bagnol

I use the same test tubes SOS has shown on page 5. These are a treat, platic and can go in the pressure cooker, and cheap if you can get rid of some (i recall they come in large qty)

JasonY said:
Hoops, I think they are called culture tubes on livingstone. Looks like they come in large boxes! although the price is not too bad considering the quantitiy. I am sure if you buy a 1000 you could get rid of a few hundred around here :p
[post="57575"][/post]​
Rung Livingstone today and those "culture tubes" are basically rimless test tubes without lids.

I have finally put these polycarb tubes to good use:
Slants02.jpg

$0.00 each :D

You guys are light years ahead of me but I'm sure you know where I am coming from. :huh:

If you don't mind me asking (and this might sound dumb to some of you) Why do you want these tubes/jars/vials and what are the benefits? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back